S40 engine swap (Read 279 times)
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Re: S40 engine swap
Reply #15 - 04/09/15 at 12:49:48

MMRanch wrote on 04/08/15 at 22:00:17:
Hay Versey !!!  Here is a motor for your Savage Frame  ...

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfinder-online-auto-auctions/lot/36229904/COPA...

What do ya think ?

--------------------------------------------------

Body style "Racer"  Grin  , did they mean ricer?  Huh

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 04/09/15 at 12:57:07

MMRanch wrote on 04/08/15 at 22:00:17:
Hay Versey !!!  Here is a motor for your Savage Frame  ...

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfinder-online-auto-auctions/lot/36229904/COPA...

What do ya think ?

I think that bike looks nice enough that you should just leave the motor right where it belongs!  The GS500 will outhandle and outbrake the Savage any day of the week.

Go find a crappier donor bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 04/09/15 at 14:06:19

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 04/09/15 at 14:31:01

It no longer needs keys... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 04/09/15 at 18:24:34

OK....Why would anyone really try and sell that hunk of scrap?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #20 - 04/09/15 at 19:21:56

gizzo wrote on 04/08/15 at 14:37:56:
I'm sure you could shove all sorts of engines into the ryca. Wouldn't be any worse framewise than those old over powered under framed UJMs from the 70s and the brakes,while not amazing, get the job done. I kinda like the giant single tho....
A brit twin would look nice in there but no real performance gain,just pain.
How about a modern Bonneville engine? That will get you noticed.

Not sure which UJMs you're referencing, but all the ones I've ridden would smoke a Savage in the twisties; CB 750 four, 750 nighthawk, Z-1, current XS1100 (a touring bike no less) adding power would make that worse, without upgrades. and a brake setup that's 'adequate' for a 30 horse engine is not, for a 60 horse engine

And a 'Busa engine? total death trap

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #21 - 04/09/15 at 23:00:45

Yeah I was trying to point out that UJM's in the 70's had stonking engines but the frames were a bit weedy (hello Rickman, Seely etc) and the brakes were not as effective as on a modern bike. Nevertheless, People managed and a good time was had on them. So, following that line of thought, I don't see any problem putting a more powerful engine into a  Savage so long as the builder/rider knows what they're getting themselves into and ride accordingly. People on this forum are building bigger engines, hotter cams etc and putting blowers on their bikes to power up the savage donk so I don't see what problem there is swapping to a more powerful engine, if that's what an owner wants. Good luck I say. A 'busa engine tho, I agree that's just silly. Only UJM's I ever owned were a CB750 and a Suzuki GS 750. Both were really nice motorbikes.

« Last Edit: 04/10/15 at 15:14:31 by gizzo »  
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 04/10/15 at 10:47:51

you have a good point there
when someone brings up engine swaps, though I assume, maybe wrongly, they're talking a LOT more powerful engine
of course souping up a savage motor doesn't add a ton of power, but I could see swapping in, say, a DR 650, which is significantly stronger but not ridiculously so
I also assume they want that extra power to go faster, and I think the brakes / chassis on a Savage aren't up to going a whole lot faster
RycaShawn of course has a brake uprade, and the bike can be made to handle better, just not a whole lot better, unless you're going to spend a lot of money, and if you're going to drop a ton of cash, you could afford to just get a faster bike that designed for higher speeds
Like i said before, you can do anything at all with the right skills and enough money, and I guess if it's worth it to you, there's no reason you shouldn't
It's still simpler to just get a faster bike, and probably cheaper, too, depending how fast you want to go

IP Logged
savagelocal

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kannapolis, NC
Reply #23 - 04/14/15 at 17:16:16

You can achieve a nice 50% bump in power with a performance cam, jet kit and exhaust, plus intake and exhaust head porting with the big bore kits.  Still not a monster, but 45 hp on a bike that is sub-400 pound range is pretty nice, especially with peak torque at 3000 RPM.  That being said, the frame on this bike isn't the strongest and is riddled with welds, some not of the best quality.  I'd be extremely hesitant to put a hunk of metal much heavier than the stock engine (which isn't cream-filled by any means) into a non-stressed frame.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:31:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › S40 engine swap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.