Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Carb tuning catastrophe...*UPDATE* (Read 514 times)
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Re: Carb tuning catastrophe...*UPDATE*
Reply #30 - 04/07/15 at 14:56:57

One of the first things I did on the S40, was the 'Raptor'.
And to possibly, prevent, any, 'crap', getting into the carb.
At about every 3rd fill, I turn it to, 'RES', not 'ON'.
So anything in the tank, just runs through.

This is done, AFTER, warmed up, and driving.
At a stop, it is off,  then to on, after warm and driving, for 5 + min or so, switch over to, 'RES'. And I do this for the next 100 miles or so.
About every 3 tank. Just for piece of mind, and any crap, that may be in the tank, is running, 'fast', through the carb, and not, 'laying in wait', to clog things up, when/if, RES is really needed.

Just a though, after you get you carb problems sorted out.

Doing this, 'may', prevent any blockage. 'May' not.
But, I suppose it's like clapping and turning a circle, when you clap,
to keep away any, 'pink elephants'.
Some say, "That's doesn't work".
And the response is: "Ya see any Pink Elephants" !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #31 - 04/07/15 at 15:20:44

MnSpring
To be honest I've never even considered the petcock. Reason being I have the RYCA bobber kit build that comes with a peanut tank. I just assumed the petcock was also changed because of that tank. I've looked through their website and only see a petcock option for the larger capacity tank of which I do not have. So it's very possible I have the stock savage petcock. I know it's installed backwards where the adjuster it facing the frame not the outside of the bike. I'm gonna do a little research and see exactly what I have.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #32 - 04/07/15 at 17:33:40

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/07/15 at 10:50:46:
There are two carb threads that are active right now. Read some of the suggestions in there, especially as it relates to an air/vac leak. Your top cover may have come loose or perhaps there is a loose clamp at the boot.

I have been following this thread also. I thought maybe it would trigger something in the brain housing group.

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #33 - 04/07/15 at 19:50:53

@spearheadss
My issue ended up being the washer mod was done but 3 were used and it needed 2. The second time around I'm guessing there was some debri left over from my carb cleaning and it plugged that jet in the float bowl. I'd have to guess it does have something to do with the choke circuit because with the choke pulled it was idling at like 3k RPMs. And when riding it was popping and spitting thru the carb. I just cleaned that jet and put it back together and problem solved. Only thing that changed after that was I had to go out about another half turn on the idle mixture screw to hit that sweet spot.

In the carb tuning thread that Lancer wrote he says for his personal preference anything over 2 turns he goes up on the pilot. I'm right at 3 but I already have a 55 pilot I'd have to order a 57.5 to go up and that seems a bit much for a stock engine with just a cone filter and full exhaust system.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #34 - 04/07/15 at 19:55:17

I went with 2 washers also.... other thing.... make sure the slide is working.
After cleaning the piston and seat for it... I oiled it, very slightly and made sure it was moving easily. That big ol' rubber diaphragm can't move the piston if it is dry or sticky....or has a lot of gunk in the way.

Just another thing to look for.... hope it helps Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #35 - 04/07/15 at 21:31:34

@old_rider
Didn't even think to oil the slide. I'll have to pop it back open and do that.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #36 - 04/07/15 at 21:45:41

Rylee wrote on 04/07/15 at 21:31:34:
@old_rider
Didn't even think to oil the slide. I'll have to pop it back open and do that.

even the oil from your finger prints attracts enough dirt to cause it to stick.
there's a dry lube coating on it anyway.
best to keep it clean.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #37 - 04/07/15 at 22:31:45

Well.... ok.... but the officer in charge at my old shop used to say.... "Lubrication is the key".... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Sometimes I took him a little to literally Shocked Shocked Huh Cool

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #38 - 04/07/15 at 23:39:26

Upon further inspection I do have a fuel valve from RYCA for my peanut tank. So no it's not a raptor but it's also not the stock savage petcock. Had me thinking because the vacuum line is sealed off so I couldn't have a stock savage petcock but I wasn't sure what style it was. Went on the RYCA site and there it is. Not sure why the design has it facing in towards the frame rail though?

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #39 - 04/08/15 at 11:19:58

Quote:
even the oil from your finger prints attracts enough dirt to cause it to stick. there's a dry lube coating on it anyway.  best to keep it clean.

Their are many, firearm products, which are a, 'dry-lub', type.
They go on wet, then dry, and are very slippery.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #40 - 04/08/15 at 20:56:56

I cleaned the slide and where it slides. Dried, paper towels, no fingerprints, ran Great,, no lube of any sort.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #41 - 04/09/15 at 08:22:43

@MnSpring
I put a little Mill-Comm TW25B I have for the bolt on my Remington 700 .338 Lapua Magnum. That was my 1st thought when you said oil the slide. It didn't seem like it was sticking but I know that's one of the best gun oils out there and it's widely used by the military and law enforcement for oiling weapons that perform in the worst conditions so I'm sure it will do the job.

I contacted the PO and he confirmed it has a cam in it. Not sure why he didn't give that info when I bought it. As I was talking back and forth about what I've done he also admitted he sold it because of the cam chain tensioner and he thought the forks were bent. The front end was a little crooked when I bought it and it had a slight pull if you let to at speeds. I just loosened the fork clamps and smacked it against a pole and it straightened up. I'm guessing when he installed the lowered kit from RYCA he didn't get it back straight. He was amazed that I was able to fix everything so fast and probably kicked himself for his selling price once he realized how minimal the actual repairs were.

I bought it without knowing the tensioner was at it's breaking point and thanks to this website was able to fix it before it put the engine down.

I payed 3k for an 18k miles bike with a practically brand new $2500 RYCA bobber kit on it. Brand new tires and a cam installed. Seems I came out way on top of this one thanks to SuzukiSavage.com

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
savagelocal

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kannapolis, NC
Reply #42 - 04/14/15 at 17:24:22

Way to stick it to the man.  Funny how the person who tried to do the ripping ending up kicking himself afterwards.  So much more satisfying that just getting a good deal.   Cool

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #43 - 04/15/15 at 08:39:11

@savagelocal
The more I talked to the PO about the repairs the more his demeanor changed on the phone. He had another bike and I'm sure just did t wanna deal with the repairs. But it was obvious he realized had he spent a weekend making it right he could have gotten way more for it.

I had already found this forum through googling questions about possible issues when I was talking to him about the purchase. So I knew going into the buy that the cam chain tensioner was probably on it's way out. I signed up for the forum the day I picked it up and was ready to tackle any issues before I'd even transferred the registration. This forum has allowed me an onsite into every issue it did have and any unforeseen problems. The search engine really is your friend in this case

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:10:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb tuning catastrophe...*UPDATE*

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.