Craigslist ... oh my.. (Read 79 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Craigslist ... oh my..
04/05/15 at 10:30:25

Well, I wish I had the cash for this..... really thinking about getting a loan and just selling one of the savages and getting this one.

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/4959768708.html

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Re: Craigslist ... oh my..
Reply #1 - 04/05/15 at 11:30:11

That seems about the going price for just a savage that year with those miles. Your almost getting the sidecar for free

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #2 - 04/05/15 at 11:46:06

I don't know...My dad's motorcycle mechanic told me a horror story where at a shop he used to work at, they installed a sidecar on a kawasaki (something like a regular kawa 1000, but not a bike designed to have a sidecar added) and it ended badly. He said they drew lines on the ground to make sure the side car was straight and everything, but I think he said the driver got into a wreck because of the handling.

I would imagine the only way to do a side car is with it's own pivoting drive axle. Like Urals.

But only having one driving wheel...

I don't mean to be a downer...just thought I'd give my input.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/05/15 at 11:49:44

I paid five for mine new. You're buying the sidecar. Florida, cosmetic issues, probably rust, but I don't see it. Sidecars are really swell, Wally, but, they sure can get you killed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 04/05/15 at 11:59:35

Looks like the passenger seat has mold issues, and corrosion on the engine case and spokes, the side car is fiberglass so maybe a little hazing on the finish. All florida bikes get that stuff even in a garage...unless you are really anal and can keep up with it.
I have driven sidecar bikes...they handle a bit different than a normal trike and accelerating and decelerating takes some getting used to, cornering can be a bugger if you cut it short and you are not careful, you can tip over.
I would attempt to at least put a brake on the sidecar... I say attempt because adjusting it to be even with the bike would be interesting.  Undecided

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/05/15 at 12:11:37

sidecars have been a part of motorcycling for years, if a guy wrecked on one 'due to the handling' that means he didn't know how to ride a side-hack and screwed the pooch, and is unlikely to be the fault of the mechanics who installed it
As for the brake, it'd almost have to be a disc to sync properly with the MCs brakes, or a system like a trailer's braking system, where the operating mechanism is it the attachment point, and the side-hack's weight trying to continue moving would compress some sort of actuator and engage the side-hack's brake
This is one of the few situations where under-braking, or late braking, would be safer than over braking, on the part of the side=hack

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 04/05/15 at 13:20:15

Quote:
I would imagine the only way to do a side car is with it's own pivoting drive axle. Like Urals.

All Urals don't have driven sidecar wheels, only a couple of models. And the ones that do are only intended to have the sidecar wheel engaged when off pavement. They do however have a brake on the sidecar wheel, which I think operates along with the rear wheel brake on the bike.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 04/05/15 at 14:20:44

I'm given to understand that side car riding in an art of it's own, and possibly a near extinct one as you don't see many any more. The height of their popularity was probably in the 'twenties in the USA and the 'twenties to the 'fifties in the UK and it's dominions. If you decide to proceed with the purchase you could consider googling side car riding techniques or something similar. Or you can go ahead and learn yourself, being aware there are different techniques and risks involved

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:22:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Craigslist ... oh my..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.