Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stator question - charging issue (Read 250 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Stator question - charging issue
Reply #15 - 04/18/15 at 21:04:17

After doing some riding, I find my battery is still slowly losing power.  

After checking several sources on the net and contacting ricks electrical about the stator issue, I find that there should be no connection measureable to ground.  It should be infinity to ground from any of the 3 phases.  Around 2ohms is normal phase to phase.

Apparantly as the engine gets hotter, I am losing more and more power to ground. The charging amps coming out of the r/r are going down when the engine is good and warm.  

Looks like it's time for a replacement stator.  I'll probably order new since most of the stuff I see on the bay looks pretty well cooked and black already.

Anybody ever tried rewinding one of these stators?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #16 - 04/19/15 at 14:44:55

Steve,
  Sent you a  P.M.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 04/19/15 at 17:59:16

A PM on solving a stator issue?
Me? Rewinding the VCR was a hassle, but I've known guys who wound slot car motors.

CAN you wind one? Why not?
But, what is it gonna cost if you fail?
What does it cost to buy and slap in?
Im pretty big on fixing stuff, but knowing when the learning curve and potential savings aren't worth it...
Sometimes it is best to bite the bullet.

Or, YOU might be Just the right guy to fix it...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 04/20/15 at 04:10:18

I have no experience in this stator area.....however I have been around enough to see that they do fail occasionally.  Not sure of the cause...heat, oil additives breaking down the insulation...who knows.

If you want to be the pioneer in rewinding them.....buy a replacement and install it, and then take your time exploring the options with the rewind process.

You can buy some pretty cheap aftermarket units on eBay....no idea how good they might be.  They start around $ 40 and go up over $200.

Some look like they are wound by hand as the wiring is a bit sloppy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stator-FITS-SUZUKI-LS650-SAVAGE-LS-650-1996-97-98-99-...

Some look pretty neat like they are machine wound.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stator-Coil-SUZUKI-LS650-SAVAGE-LS-650-96-97-98-99-00...  

Unless you are looking for a "project" to spend some time on - most likely it is best to either find a good used one....or take a chance on an aftermarket one......or spend over $ 450 for a factory one! Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #19 - 04/21/15 at 02:32:01

I was thinking more along the lines of a professional rewinder like and electric motor or alternator shop.  I may check a few and get an estimate.  But, as you said, that's something for after installing a replacement and getting back to riding.

Given that the first one lasted 28 years, I don't know if I'll even bother with getting it rewound.  Odds are I won't be around long enough to need another replacement if the replacement lives that long.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
gobnaitt
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/15/15 at 11:48:00

I have no problem just my timely tale. So last year my battery seemed to take a bit of time to charge. I just figured it's getting old. I always put it on the tender after a ride. After a nice 2 hour ride in the country I stopped at a friend's place. It wouldn't start. So we charged it up, I got home and the next day went and got a new battery.
Well much to my surprise after a couple of short rides I noticed it charging afterwards. I checked the voltage when running and it never changed when revving it. The clymer makes it all seem simple enough. Oil and brakes I can do. But as a woman with basic skills, I went to my local mechanic. He did a couple tests. Checked the voltage coming out of those yellow wires. One had 70 the others were single digits. None even close to 100. I suspect it has been slowly fading for a year or more. I just blamed the battery. He has ordered me a new stator.
I will get it replaced next week. It's a 2003 with 23 K. I'll be on the road again soon.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #21 - 05/15/15 at 19:07:56

Hope you get on the road again soon.  If I didn't have the little ninja, I'd be going crazy till I get mine fixed.

All the voltages checked out on mine.  Resistances all check right except, they all connect to chassis ground and shouldn't do that.   Apparently when mine gets hot, it starts sending more power to ground.  I found that when it's hot, My voltages are lower than when it's cold.

My bettery got where it wasn't charging last fall. Voltages measured right and everything so I replaced the regulator.  It seemed to work for a while but when it started acting up this time I was experiencing slow charging until it finally lets the battery get low enough to not start it.

I'll be glad when I get mine fixed too. I hate to see it sitting there and can't ride it.  I do charge the battery once a week and ride it for a couple miles to make sure the carb doesn't gunk up and to keep some oil moved around in the engine.

I'm holding off fixing for a while due to other expenses. I'm hoping to run up and say hi to everyone on the early dragon run this year. I'm only about 2.5 hours away.  Might just have to ride the ninja if I don't have it fixed by then.

IP Logged
gobnaitt
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 05/23/15 at 18:22:51

I'm happy to be back on the road. I got the new stator installed last week. A pricey little thing it was too. But it's well worth it to me now. The new happy headlight shines so much brighter than I was used to also. A fresh fill of Rotella and I'm now good for the summer.

He showed me the old stator. One of those wrapped copper coil things was totally burned black. And there was another blackened burned spot on it too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:28:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stator question - charging issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.