Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
You know your old when... (Read 291 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: You know your old when...
Reply #30 - 04/12/15 at 21:53:37

I'm running a little short. I'm considering borrowing a few thousand from myself.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #31 - 04/13/15 at 07:47:52

First sorry to be to so late to the party.. and congratz on turning 40!

AS for me... I turned 52 this year. I am a state employee ( work at a university medical school) and have my 27 years in.. so I could retire.  No complaints, its kept us fed and clothed. But I will never be rich, nor even comfortable. Retirement is 50% .. but half of little is very little.. so I would still be a Walmart greeter.

I bought a book last week "Get whats yours, a guide to SSN". Not because  I have an illusion of cheating or anything.  I can save you the $15 I spent... Thier advice is:
If you retire at age 62 or before your actual retiment age ( commonly 67) your a fool as you get a PERMANENT cut in benefits.
Retire at 67 to get full benefits
Retire at age 70 to get MAX benefits. Don't hold out past 70 as there is no further benefit.

Thats 99% of their book.
Other tidbits:
Don't ask or expect the SSA to tell you whats best for you, they can't/won't.
You can only draw against ONE benefit. Yours or your spouses, but not BOTH. The SSA will describe as though you are, but your not. However you can SWAP the benefit you are drawing against. For example a spouse could draw against her deceased husbands SS, until she becomes 70 then draw against hers, from then on.  

While many of us feel the sting of the current economy, I do really worry that many retirement plans depend on the stock market too much. Should that fail, many of us could be in a world of hurt.

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #32 - 04/13/15 at 08:45:34

@Pine
70 would be my magic number. With the 12 year gap between my wife to be and I that would put her at 58 and still drawing an income so that would be the magic number. My concern is I've never worked for or even met a 70 year old chef. Most at that point I would imagine own their own place by then. I need to start considering the next move up the ladder which is a food and beverage director or director of operations. Unfortunately I do not work for a restaurant group that employees either of those positions. I currently work for a small private owner who has a few locations. I did this in the hopes of one day becoming a managing partner with the option to buy in, but even that at this point seems as if it may not happen.
It may be time to go back to the hotel field. I started my career with Hilton and spent just over a decade with them. Owe my education (tuition reimbursement) to them and much of my success. I only recently left to pursue other cuisines and to build my resume a bit. Maybe a few more years where I'm at as I'm happy with my current location,staff and workload vs quality of life setting. With small children at home 60 hours a week is the max I can work (and my wife can handle)
We've talked about using a portion of tax returns each year to invest since we usually spend most of it on vacations and other fun stuff and I think that's our first step to putting away a nest egg. And we've already started looking for a cheaper place to shave off some of our cost of living to move that spending to savings as well.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:23:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › You know your old when...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.