Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
You know your old when... (Read 291 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
You know your old when...
04/03/15 at 23:01:24

So I'm a few months away from 40. I know it's not old compared to so e of you but it's 40 and it's made me look back and wonder. I got a letter from social security the other day telling me what my retirement benefits would be at 65 as of money paid in up until now. It was cool to see my yearly earnings since my 1st job in 1989 as a bag boy in a grocery store. I got to see the slow increase until I finished culinary school then a big jump to salary. Got to see the 1st year as an executive chef and a real salary. And the steady increase until now. Made me think about when I started the career journey and the grand illusion that by now Id own my own restaurant and be making the big bucks. Also made me realize that I'm gonna be a broke mofo when I retire if all I have is SSI benefits. I have a 401k but I've tapped into it a few times in the last 2 decades and it's not what it should be. Between college savings for my kids and all my "toys " expenses I really need to start stuffing extra cash somewhere soon or I'm gonna be a 70 year old greeter at Walmart.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: You know your old when...
Reply #1 - 04/03/15 at 23:46:10

Unfortunately, this appears to be the way much of the world is going, not just the USA. I'm inclined to wonder how people can save for their own home on the wages that many get. You say you are an executive chef, so you must be on a "reasonable" salary I wonder how a forty year old Walmart "greeter"??? views his pension entitlements, or the person behind the counter at the local petrol station, or driving a city bus gets on. In much of the western world the gap between have mores, have less and have nots is growing rapidly.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 04/04/15 at 08:21:57

At 77 years old I can tell you that expenses go up everyday and income goes down every year.

The smart guy gets a job working for the government when they are young. Lifetime medical benefits and million programs to avoid having to ever work.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/04/15 at 08:38:53

That smart guys approach is part of the problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #4 - 04/04/15 at 10:23:06

@jcstokes. As an executive chef i am at the top of the "average" for salary but that is because I have 20 years in the business, as much education in my field as most medical practitioners, I am a level II Cicerone and a Master Sommelier. I won a James Beard award in 2008 and have worked at 3 Michelin Starred restaurants both in the US and Europe. I pay more income tax a year than someone who makes $12 an hour earns in a year.

With all that being said a few months shy of 40 that SSI letter hit me. I don't own a house, don't "own" my vehicles (except motorcycle) and have about enough in a 401k to live 3 years at my current cost of living. I have 3 children one of which is autistic and will need medical attention her entire life. It was an intended wake up call from the social security administration I'm sure and it worked. With the way the economy is investing scares me but aside from decreasing my current cost of living in hopes of putting the money not spent away I'm not sure what else to do.

Because of my profession and the option of relocation is what's kept me from buying a house. For example I moved from Alabama to California just over 6 years ago for job purposes. That and the real estate market here is terrible. I pretty much have 2 options here in the Los Angeles area. Buy something older than I am or buy something in a "not so great" part of LA. Or move to one of the valleys and nobody wants to do that because of traffic.

The wife and I have talked about scaling back on a large level. We currently rent a townhouse in one of the nicer areas of long beach. We could have something just as nice for much less. She also drives a "status symbol" vehicle that's not necessary. That change alone would cut our cost of living by over 1k a month which could go into savings and we would be none the lessor for doing it.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/04/15 at 10:55:12

At 48 with an annual income of just over 25k, I have already concluded that full retirement will never be an option for me
fortunately it's my belief that full retirement would likely bore me so badly I might be tempted to clean my ears out with a gun, anyway
I do live a frugal lifestyle though for the most part

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #6 - 04/04/15 at 14:55:21

@Art Webb
I'm pretty much on the same page. I don't see myself retiring at 65. I'll most likely transition to a director of operations or food and beverage director and just keep going.

My wife to be is 12 years younger than me and my master plan is to live off her working when I hit that age as retribution to her living off me working up until that point.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/04/15 at 16:34:00

Grin all righty then

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/04/15 at 16:40:05

I've followed Rylees posts. The man has impeccable logic.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #9 - 04/04/15 at 17:32:23

@justin

I'm not sure about impeccable logic but thanks for the complement. I didn't plan for us to have that age gap it was just a blessing in disguise. She actually co-owns a very successful commercial cleaning business so she doesn't exactly live off me. She does however bring enough to the table finance wise that I can screw off with my quarterly bonuses instead of having to use them to survive. Which is why you will see major change to my bike happening in 3 month increments.

She was my fathers care taker when he got sick which was why I relocated to California. We hit it off immediately because I quickly realized if she could deal with my dad's nonsense then she could definitely put up with me. Her mother had a small yet successful cleaning company and when I got my wrecks settlement I invested in that so she could partner with her mom and they could expand. In the last 2 years it has grown to a solid operation that completely supports her mother who lives a lavish lifestyle and compensates my wife well enough that we can afford to be comfortable. Plus it allows her to work here and there since we have children.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/04/15 at 17:51:20

Such bravery in the face of such pain.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 04/04/15 at 19:53:24

That's awesome Rylee, glad to see folks making good on life's challenges

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #12 - 04/05/15 at 15:41:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/04/15 at 08:38:53:

----------------------------------------

Sir, could you elaborate? If you don't mind that is...You've sparked my curiosity.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/05/15 at 18:17:43

Too much typing. The Kindle is slow and that would take forever to explain.
Please, don't think me rude. But think about it some. Government is not a businesses Profit Center, but a cost for all to share.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 04/05/15 at 19:10:38

savskad wrote on 04/05/15 at 15:41:22:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/04/15 at 08:38:53:

----------------------------------------

Sir, could you elaborate? If you don't mind that is...You've sparked my curiosity.

Essentially he's saying that the smart guy's approach (working for the gov't, with the sooper dooper benefits packages that provides), while smart and effective for the smart guy, places a large burden on the taxpayer
This is not the fault of the smart guy, he's just being smart, it's the fault of the way such agencies are run
There's a reason a lot of such agencies have taken to subcontracting to private businesses these days: it's more economical overall

Everyone has heard the stories of the military paying 250 bux for a crescent wrench: this isn't because a crescent wrench costs anywhere near that much, nor is it due to the military buying the highest priced wrenches it can find, it's the cost of the bureaucracy involved in the way the military procures, tracks, and store such wrenches
civilian branches are more efficient, due to smaller size of agencies, but not a whole lot better

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:36:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › You know your old when...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.