Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stalling....carb? (Read 46 times)
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Stalling....carb?
03/30/15 at 21:35:49

Got a tune-up last June and don't really ride the bike much.  Lately my bike stalls a bit if I don't ride it for a while but then seems to be fine after a few shakes and some persistence.  Is gunk settling in the carburetor from sitting around too long?  Should I ride the bike a couple of times a week just to make sure the fuel doesn't settle?  

What's should be my maintenance protocol for the carb?

Just trying to get some advice from some vets before I decide to take it in for maintenance before June again.

Thanks!

Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Stalling....carb?
Reply #1 - 03/30/15 at 21:38:35

I'd up the idle

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 03/30/15 at 23:57:56

1. Ride it more.

2. Buy pure gas or use one of the ethanol buster treatments if it is going to sit a lot.

3. If it idles like a Harley Big Twin, turn it up. Should sound more like a sewing machine (or rototiller once your muffler rots out).

4. Check the water level in your battery if you run a stock style wet cell.

5. Oil level. Too much, it stalls. Too little, it not only stalls, but the piston eats the cylinder bore and the cam chews up the cylinder head. 2 standard bottles of 15W40 is just right for 90% of the Savages/S40s ever made. Quarts in the States, liters everywhere civilized. 20W50 if it is consistently run at temps in excess of 100*F ambient.

6. Change your fuel line and vacuum line. They are good for one year, the engine is aircooled, and those lines get hot, get brittle, and get cracked. Liquid cooled bikes can use the stock line for several years, old style bikes like ours should not.

Everyone forgets that even a brand new 2015 S40 is in essence a 1973 motorcycle. Treat it accordingly.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 03/31/15 at 05:12:10

marioivargas wrote on 03/30/15 at 21:35:49:
What's should be my maintenance protocol for the carb?

From your post it would appear that your maintenance protocol is to take it in for a tune-up every spring.

One of your jets or passages is probably clogged. With the use of some fuel additive you may be able to ride it away. In the future, I'd store the bike with a fuel stabilizer, this way the potential for these types of clogs are reduced (not eliminated...nothings perfect).

Carburetors are fairly straight forward devices. If you're feeling up to it, remove it from the bike and give it a good cleaning with some carb cleaner. While you're at it, change the spark plug, oil and air filter and...whatdoyaknow...you've done your own tune-up.  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Suzukisavvy

You're Droolin,
While I'm Spoolin

Nebraska, USA
Reply #4 - 03/31/15 at 07:01:00

Does you leave it on prime? flooding the carb with fuel like that when it sits causes hard starts and stalls.

In my creepy robot voice.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:28:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalling....carb?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.