Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ducati....112 mph, 350cc single? (Read 296 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Ducati....112 mph, 350cc single?
Reply #30 - 04/02/15 at 01:41:08

OK, permission to butt in...

For starters, there is a lot of confusion over "what is bhp and how many bhp will your motor produce ?"
You guys are accustomed to SAE net bhp ratings, in Europe we use DIN ratings; the difference can be anything from 10% to almost 20%.

Secondly, 22bhp (DIN) was the rating for the 350cc "Diana" i.e. the street touring model.
BHP figures for the "Sport Desmo" were never made public, but...
... big valves, hot cam, dual ignition (which fired simultaneously) big carb, high-compression piston AND desmo valves...
The Sport Desmos were HOT in 250cc and 350cc variants because those were the Club Racer classes,
and the slogan was very similar to the "Race it on Sunday, Sell on Monday" used for the NASCAR racers in their heyday...
The 450 Desmos (432cc) on the other hand, while having a lot of potential, were never quite the commercial success they deserved because they had a sincerely hard time against the 500cc Norton Manx and the budding japanese twins and fours...

I had a non-desmo 450 Scrambler, which officially only had 32bhp...
...yet it would burble along at 2000 rpm at 60kph, meaning it was theoretically possible to reach 180 kph at the 6000 rpm redline.
So... add big valves, hot cam, dual ignition (which fired simultaneously) big carb, high-compression piston AND desmo valves...
... clipons and rear sets... no front light but a numberplate (which also works as a miniature windshield when you tuck in) and those speeds are definitely achievable !
Cool

Oh... almost forgot... in those days we only had leaded 100 RON fuel, perhaps equivalent to your top-notch premium.

EYE CANDY: DUCATI 350 DESMO BATTLES IT OUT WITH A ROYAL ENFIELD 2-stroke 250 single...  Cool

First lap is warmup lap, race starts at 2:50  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #31 - 04/02/15 at 01:55:14

Typical British accent... I nice clip that'll make you smile  Smiley
("it's capable... reaching 100 mph... this one would cruise all day at 70!")

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 04/02/15 at 04:35:16

Thanks Mpescatori....you aren't butting in - you were invited in the very first post.

Cool videos...and definitely a cool bike.  Sadly the closest thing you can buy today is a Royal Enfield or Yamaha SR400....both of which are neat retro style bikes that are a bit down on performance compared to the Ducati but will get you to 80 or 90mph at a slower pace.  Sure that is fast enough - but it does help us to appreciate what the little Ducati's were capable of.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/2015-yamaha-sr400-first-ride-re...

« Last Edit: 04/02/15 at 05:58:24 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #33 - 04/02/15 at 05:34:20

Dave wrote on 04/02/15 at 04:35:16:
Thanks Mpescatori....you aren't butting in - you were invited in the very first post.

Cool videos...and definitely a cool bike.  Sadly the closest thing you can buy today is a Royal Enfield or Yamaha SR400....both of which are neat retro style bikes that are a bit down on performance compared to the Ducati but will get you to 80 or 90mph at a slower pace.  Sure that is fast enough - but it does help us to appreciate what the little Ducati's were capable of.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/2015-yamaha-sr400-first-ride-re...

Yup ! And this explains the "success" by small companies such as RYCA and the like.
Cafč racers derived off the Savage look the part, thanks to its wet-sump engine.

There were no dry-sump engines in the 1950's that I can think of, so yes, a cafe racer derived from a dual sports single might make a nice drive, but simply doesn't look right...

They just don't look like they can "cut it"

And Ducati are sooo busy building hotter and hotter L-twins, they don't realize there's a "big-single" market which is just budding...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 04/02/15 at 07:18:05

So maybe the KTM 390 is the only current bike of choice if you want a really fast, modern single?  It seems to have brought back the performance of the 60's/70's....but certainly not the looks.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/08/05/2014-ktm-390-duke-motorcycle-review-firs...

ktm-duke-390-001.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 04/02/15 at 07:57:25

I actually like the looks better with bodywork....even though I am not really a fan of sport bike looks.

KTM-RC-390-2014.jpg

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #36 - 04/02/15 at 13:02:10

a major advantage for me of the S40 is the feet-forward layout. As much as I would like to buy the rc390, my knees won't tolerate being scrunched up. No lower frame also removes the chance of modifying the layout. I'd give my left one for the ability to ride the new Yam FZ07. A hooligan bike for a 71yr hooligan!  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #37 - 04/02/15 at 16:37:59

How about an MT03?
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/yamaha/mt-03/2006/
There's a few KTM 390's at the university I work at, they look really tiny in the real, with a person on board.
mpescatori, I don't wanna argue with you but there were tons of dry sump singles around in the 50's. Dry sump was the modus operandi for the brit bike industry.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 04/02/15 at 17:41:02

Well I suppose the MT03 is a ton of fun....just bigger than I was looking at in this exercise....I was trying to find something comparable to a 350cc single.  I imagine there are several Super Moto or Motard type bikes that qualify as well.  There are a lot of motorcycles I know nothing about - there are just too many possibilities.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #39 - 04/03/15 at 00:13:54

If only Aprilia, Ducati and Guzzi realized there's a "big single" market just under the horizon... not just "big twin" but "big single" as well...

Embarrassed

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 04/03/15 at 04:31:07

I didn't know the Honda CBR was a single

If only they could put that engine in a "standard" style retro looking chassis.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:25:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ducati....112 mph, 350cc single?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.