Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cam chain timing help. Not the adjuster (Read 157 times)
jeffsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Am I in the clear?
Reply #15 - 03/31/15 at 20:02:38

Ok....so I have the entire savage back together. Did everything as directed with the cam chain/timing. Fueled it up, started it.....AND IT FIRED RIGHT UP!!!!!!!! It idled just fine like it always did!!! Does. This mean I'm in the clear and got the timing right? Just wann make sure before I go shifting gears or anything really other than an idle. Also,  I filled the oil up to the top notch next to the window, started it and it seeme like the oil didn't drain back down any once I had shut it off for several minutes. No visible leaks ANYWHHERE on the outsider if engine around the new seals, and none around that pesky rubber head plug. Does it take more oil to fill it after having the engine completely tore down? Also a little bit of. Smoke coming off the head...which I believe to be residue from a degreaser formula I had used for light scrubbing burning off the engine..Pictures coming soon

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Am I in the clear?
Reply #16 - 03/31/15 at 20:21:03

Just add more oil back up to the line. There are little pockets in the engine that don't drain back down to the oil sump. An example is the little oil "bathtub" that the cam sits in. A dry engine initial oil fill requires more oil than a simple oil change.

Congrats on getting everything back together and working.

IP Logged
jeffsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/31/15 at 20:38:24

Thanks!! This was my first go at a small engine rebuild. Was apprehensive but went at it full force, with some help and advice along the way. Was good o hear it running again!!!!!!!! Just wanting to confirm that if it's running solid at idle that I can rest assured that I have the timing right. Might seem like I'm being too cautious or asking stupid questions, but this being my first go at this..I'm wanting to be as sure and clear about everything as I can be. Thanks again

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #18 - 03/31/15 at 20:51:47

YOU ROCK, JEFF! Nice work, man. Did you change the oil filter while it was apart? If it's running fine and it idles nicely, you've likely got the timing right. Shouldn't be any problem riding it now. But the filter thing: you can put it in the right way, or back to front. Back to front will starve the engine of oil and it won't idle nicely for very long. That's all I can think of. The smoke from the head will clear up soon unless there's an unresolved oil leak. Good work.

IP Logged
jeffsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/31/15 at 21:05:35

I had changed the oil filter a month before I parked it for winter so I fist change it. I did however clean it and made sure it was seated properly in its compartment. Thank you for confirming that about the cam chain/timing inquiry. It's hitting the road soon!!!! Haha I am REALLY happy(as you can imagine) that it all came together and VERY MUCH APPRECIATE all the help from this forum. Place to go for anything SAVAGE!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:33:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain timing help. Not the adjuster

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.