Send Topic Print
Ryca Muffler Adapter (Read 475 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Ryca Muffler Adapter
Reply #15 - 03/31/15 at 06:21:04

I just try to keep others from sharing my problems. I only really messed up 3times. Once, I left a bolt in the head cover and thought it was stuck and got horsey with it, warping it a little. I fixed it, but it's stupid to do that.
I pulled the plug. When I felt around down there to feel how to line up the new one, I felt a chunk of asphalt fall in the cylinder. And, I exploded the battery. I don't wanna see anyone else be bitten.
The backwards oil filter thing? Everyone needs warned.. That's a bad deal.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #16 - 03/31/15 at 06:29:36

Justin,

The oil filter in backwards scares me to the point that when I bought a supply of filters I took a Sharpie and wrote "Out Side" on them.

I hope when I need to use the next one I can remember what  "Out Side" means.  LOL

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #17 - 03/31/15 at 08:59:49

Kris,

I had a piece bent to shape at  a local muffler shop out of aluminized steel that can be polished. It looks like I will pickup 1 1/4" in length.

Later today I will know how well this works.

It would have been better if it was 1" longer or 3/4" shorter.

As impossible as it sounds, the wider portion of the hanger built into the muffler, has an enlarged opening for the carriage bolt head to slide in. You guessed it correctly, the hole in the frame extension lines up perfectly with the center of the muffler hanger where the enlarged portion of the slot is.

I am thinking  now that I should drill a new hole in the frame extension. I will think about it for a while.

Kenny

« Last Edit: 03/31/15 at 10:32:19 by Kenny G »  

IMG_03841.JPG
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #18 - 03/31/15 at 11:40:23

Hey Kenny, I tried several different muffler shops in my area and no one would do this for me.  

If your's works for length and no leaks, maybe consider going back and asking if they'll make a few more and sell them to us here on SS.com (for those of us who have close-minded muffler shops all over the place  Angry )

Currently, I have my Dyna mounted without any adapter; lotsa folks on here have done it that way.  I used a couple tin can crush washers and I think I may just have the tiniest of leaks.  But, If an adapter would take a little stress off the joints and extend the mount point back a little so I could use 2 bolts, I would consider revising my setup.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #19 - 03/31/15 at 11:45:42

Toksik,

There is no doubt that this independent muffler shop that I went to has real craftsmen and mechanics working there.

The catch is that no one with a successful business wants to do mail order with all of the running around involved.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 03/31/15 at 12:09:36

Kenny G wrote on 03/31/15 at 11:45:42:
TThe catch is that no one with a successful business wants to do mail order with all of the running around involved.

This is supposed to be a labor of love.....something you would do because you are a nice guy. Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #21 - 03/31/15 at 14:06:37

Dave,

I have tried that before, on more than one forum.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #22 - 03/31/15 at 14:11:06

I drilled a hole in the frame extension to accommodate the carriage bolt from the Dyna muffler.

I am going to have to go to the Harley shop tomorrow, as I need one more heavy duty clamp and then I can button it up and go make some noise.

Anyone shopping for the Dyna muffler should ask the seller if he can send the clamp along. Chances are he is going to throw it away anyway.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #23 - 03/31/15 at 19:46:37

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1427763067

I shot my Dyna down the road because of that stupid enlarged hole for the carriage bolt!   Angry  I need an adapter to move the muffler back a little and contact the small part of the rail.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #24 - 03/31/15 at 22:21:41

Kris,

If you can find someone that knows how to braze it would be quick and simple to braze the carriage bolt to the muffler.

Kenny G

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 03/31/15 at 23:11:49

If you're in the neighborhood, swing by and borrow the buzz box (110v wire feed welder). Take longer to set the box up than to tack weld the bolt in place. Cost you a pack of L&M Bold (about $3.79 + tax at the local corer store)

If you hit the exhaust section at any major auto parts store, the braided stainless Honda tuner car adapters work fine.

Come to think of it, I have a tubing bender and a junk LS650 that can be used for mock up purposes... forgot all about the bender, it's hidden by the motorhome.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #26 - 04/01/15 at 08:57:53

Tocsik wrote on 03/31/15 at 11:40:23:
Hey Kenny, I tried several different muffler shops in my area and no one would do this for me.  

If your's works for length and no leaks, maybe consider going back and asking if they'll make a few more and sell them to us here on SS.com (for those of us who have close-minded muffler shops all over the place  Angry )

Currently, I have my Dyna mounted without any adapter; lotsa folks on here have done it that way.  I used a couple tin can crush washers and I think I may just have the tiniest of leaks.  But, If an adapter would take a little stress off the joints and extend the mount point back a little so I could use 2 bolts, I would consider revising my setup.

my local midas shop did one for me for free that's was in 06
theres got to be someone in Denver that can help you

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #27 - 04/01/15 at 10:36:38

I am finished, except for installing the factory heat shield and then rounding up an aftermarket heat shield to cover the adapter and clamps.

At some point I may add an extension to the sub-frame so I can have two bolts holding the muffler on.

If I had it to do over again I would buy the Ryca adapter.

A picture being worth a thousand words

Kenny G

IMG_0385_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 04/01/15 at 10:41:37

Kenny G wrote on 04/01/15 at 10:36:38:
If I had it to do over again I would buy the Ryca adapter. Kenny G

Yep, it is a well made part, and as expensive as it is....it works and saves a person a lot of time running around, shopping and adapting.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #29 - 04/01/15 at 18:05:04

Thanks for the offer WD. I think I'm just going to drill the frame extension to put the bolt in a better position.

I might even cobble together an "extension for the extension" so I can use 2 bolts instead of one.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:19:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ryca Muffler Adapter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.