Send Topic Print
Rattle can paint (Read 220 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rattle can paint
03/28/15 at 05:46:37

Looking for some opinions here and I know that many of you have recent experience in painting motorcycles.  I have a tank and two fenders that need painting.  I’ll be stripping the tank down to bare metal because the paint is cracked and chipped in places.  The fenders are fiberglass and have a thin coat of paint someone sprayed over the original paint.  I was thinking of sanding the fenders down only to the original coat.

I am considering a rattle can job and have been looking at the Dupli Color automotive paint products.  For the tank I was thinking of going with an etching primer followed by a sanding primer and then maybe a sealing primer.  For the fenders an adhesion promoter followed by a sanding primer.  Then all three parts would get acrylic enamel base coats followed by acrylic clear coats.  Between applying the base coat and the clear coat I'll be putting on some vinyl stick on pin stripes.

Any thoughts and opinions out there?  I would like to hear them. Thanks  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Rattle can paint
Reply #1 - 03/28/15 at 07:09:05

Duplicolor is alright, uncleared would give about a 5 year service life, cleared a good bit more. But, and this is an elephant sized but, while the can may say enamel, you are basically working with an old time acrylic lacquer. The color and clear coats are thin, easy to run, easy to get dry settle or orange peel, and stay soft for quite awhile.

Follow the open working times (recoat) to the letter, or you will get some serious wrinkles in the paint.

My 98 ran a metallic/pearl Duplicolor job for several years. Uncleared. Faded out to a neat orange-bronze.

The 03 has rattle can headlight bucket, headlight stanchions and rear fender. Glass smooth epoxy.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
cyclesarge
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/28/15 at 08:56:35

As an automotive painter, the idea of a rattle can paint job makes me cringe, but if I HAD to do it, I'd do it as you have described.
As WD said, follow the instructions to the letter.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/28/15 at 10:08:25

There have been a lot of threads about rattle can paint projects - but the only way you can get a rattle can paint that will not discolor from the fuel....is to use a two component spray cans  All of the other folks who have attempted to use a regular rattle can paint on this forum....have had poor results. You can get by with the normal cans on the fenders - but the fuel that seeps from the fuel filler (or when you drip while fueling) will discolor the paint on the tank...or even cause it to wrinkle or peel.   Also you need to use paints that are compatible with each other.....or they can react and cause all kinds of problems.

The 2K paints can be purchased from local auto paint shops, or Eastwood.  Our local body shop can mix any 2K paint and put in a spray can for you.....but you have a limited amount of time to spray it before it sets up in the can.  Other style cans have you break some kind of seal to mix the two components...and once again you have a limited time to use it up.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338248877/12#12

Got to reply #358 in Gyrobob's bike build.  The Duplicolor did not hold up, even though he did and great job applying it.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338248877/12#12

« Last Edit: 03/28/15 at 13:11:30 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/28/15 at 17:11:39

Quote:
the idea of a rattle can paint job makes me cringe

Sorry cyclesarge, when I went to the automotive paint store and told them my plan they cringed as well.  They didn't sell any 2k paints in rattle cans.  In fact they were downright anti-rattle can.

Thanks WD, I'll watch those re-coat times.  I read those threads Dave posted and also checked on the products they mentioned.  It looks like the two biggest problems are long drying times to achieve full hardness and fuel resistance in general.  If I read it right some of them use the ordinary rattle can paints but coat over them with a 2k clear coat to get the fuel resistance.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/28/15 at 17:52:10

And.....make a test panel with a piece of metal.  Use the primer, paint and then clear coat you intend to use.  Practice on it, see if the primer and paints are compatible.....and then when it has cured...splash a bit of fuel on it a few times....especially when it has been in the sun for a bit (your motorcycle hopefully will be ridden in the full sun).  This may save you from making a big mistake on the tank or fenders.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 03/28/15 at 23:52:37

Savage Gregg painted his 650 with this paint and clear coat and it turned out perfect. Rattle canned it the whole way. The clear coat is compatible, held up well and gas spills would not dull the finish.

http://www.colorrite.com/

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/29/15 at 03:54:02

I found a another thread that may help.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1408351979/1#1

The absolute best spray can primers are made by SEM.  The cans are about twice the size of a normal can, and costs about $ 15 each.  The primers fill and build very well, and they dry quickly.  I use the self etching primer over the bare metal, and the high build primers over the etching primer.  For guide coats when sanding I just use a very light mist coat of a cheap primer.

http://www.semproducts.com/automotive-primers/self-etching-primer
http://www.semproducts.com/automotive-primers/high-build-primer-surfacer

The local auto store has a fender hanging on their wall that displays the kind of quality finish you can get from a spray can, and it looks great.  Spray cans can make a really nice finish - they just don't put out a lot of paint and keeping a "wet" surface and blending in the overspray edges can be a bit difficult....as is controlling the spray and avoiding runs.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 03/29/15 at 11:07:11

Yeah, my semi-decent paint job has been compromised on my little ninja, I did not put a quality clear coat on it and the tank bag magnetics simply "lifted" the paint right off the tank!  Angry LOL, you can see the original white under it now.... oh well, I was going to repaint this summer anyway.  Grin Cool

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/29/15 at 11:40:37

Thanks for all the links and comments.  This forum is always a help no matter what the topic is.  I think the test panel is a great idea and that is the way I'll go.  I'll definitely be using a 2k clear coat.  Thanks

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #10 - 03/29/15 at 12:23:45

My experience with clear-coats is negative! They all wrinkle the color coat, even after a year drying! Angry
Haven't tried colorrite yet.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/29/15 at 17:58:10

zipidachimp wrote on 03/29/15 at 12:23:45:
My experience with clear-coats is negative! They all wrinkle the color coat, even after a year drying! Angry
Haven't tried colorrite yet.

Then you are using paints that aren't compatible.  Spray a lacquer over an enamel.....and the enamel paint underneath is going to lift.

The 2 component clear is not hard on the base coats like lacquer is - so either use a system you know works (like Color Rite or Eastwood products) - or seek the help of the local auto paint store.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 03/29/15 at 18:22:34

Just keep in the back of your mind that it is known in the trade as "Color Wrong" for a reason... Decent enough paint, but actually color matching with it is a crap shoot.

Folks have stellar luck with Rustoleum appliance epoxies, but the color selection is poor. Gloss black, gloss white, gloss almond and a pseudo stainless steel. Hundreds if not thousands of customs running around with it on their frames, 2 wheeled, 4 wheeled, even 4 wheel drives. Can stay soft for months though if you don't have a way to heat cure your parts. Still better than the technically never fully cured obsolete lacquers.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/29/15 at 18:39:39

I'll probably paint it a plain gloss black.  I thought that would be easier than a metallic color.  The tank sides have chrome panels and very little of the rear fender is exposed so other than the front fender there isn't that much paint that will be seen.  The side covers are missing but if I find some they are also chrome so no worries about painting them.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 03/29/15 at 19:02:59

Gloss black is THE "impossible" paint. Any flaw is going to be magnified several thousand times. Most forgiving is a dove or slate gray, followed by yellow and orange. Think Hodaka, rougher than a cob of dry popcorn kernels, yet looked good.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:31:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rattle can paint

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.