Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
50s style redo, almost finished... (Read 119 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
50s style redo, almost finished...
03/27/15 at 18:58:12

Crappy pic. Heavily background edited.

Still have a couple parts to affix, but for the most part, here is the reborn "Sam"...

Shovelhead rear fender. Panhead crash bar and floorboards. Evo or Twin Cam FL handlebar. Saddleman Drifter bags. Slipstreamer HD-0 windshield. Old Motoasia fishtail pipe and 12" glasspack muffler. Biltwell grips. J&P Cycles sourced mirror set. Tombstone taillight. Lucas style headlight (7" side mount). Progressive shocks.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 50s style redo, almost finished...
Reply #1 - 03/27/15 at 22:30:36

A 50's gladiator...
I can't tell you what fishtail mufflers do for me...

It's positively Velocettian...

JOG will be so proud, I invented a word..
Velocettian... Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 03/28/15 at 00:08:55

Possibly Velocettorian, hope you get many miles of sensuous pleasure.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/28/15 at 04:28:11

Can I make up the word "sensensuous".

Glad to see you are back riding again WD.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 03/28/15 at 04:48:02

Good onya WD. But what's that disc shaped thing in the front wheel? I thought you were a Drum man? Tongue

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/28/15 at 05:57:26

I like the look, it really does capture an early 50's look.  When I didn't see any posts from you this past winter I thought maybe you had gone Harley Davidson on us!

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 03/28/15 at 06:45:48

gizzo wrote on 03/28/15 at 04:48:02:
Good onya WD. But what's that disc shaped thing in the front wheel? I thought you were a Drum man? Tongue

Have not ordered the new bar switches needed to use the Vincent-Knuckle-Pan perches and levers. So those units and the drum front wheel are still on the 98 carcass.

A local shop, Super Cycle, that has been in business longer than I've been alive (and I'm in my 40s) is going to check out the drum wheel, and if the unit is in spec, make the new cable to connect the period levers to the Savage clutch arm and CB450 brake arm. The wheel (early Suzuki Titan 500) and drum plate (early CB450 dual pivot) are getting hard to get service parts for. If it can be made usable, it will be in service, if not, I'll save it for a sign or mailbox holder grade bike.

You're right, I prefer the look of a drum on each end, but in Memphis, function has to come first. A somewhat useful single puck caliper is better than an empty drum. And I'm still stuck commuting from one end of the county to the other twice a day, five days a week.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 03/28/15 at 06:49:38

engineer wrote on 03/28/15 at 05:57:26:
I like the look, it really does capture an early 50's look.  When I didn't see any posts from you this past winter I thought maybe you had gone Harley Davidson on us!

Haven't had a chance to get the 1957 FL sent down here. Can't afford to fix it right now anyway, that estimated $28K repair bill has to go to more important issues. I could sign the note on a brand new Hardly Worth a Sh!t (any HD made after 1969), or buy a Hardly Davidson (1965-69), but, why? I only like 1964 and older models, and prefer 1948 or older Big Twin flatheads.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/28/15 at 12:33:18

MAN that is SAWEEEET!   Is that the stock seat?
I am now actively stealing ideas from you  Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 03/28/15 at 12:35:56

WD wrote on 03/28/15 at 06:49:38:
engineer wrote on 03/28/15 at 05:57:26:

Haven't had a chance to get the 1957 FL sent down here. Can't afford to fix it right now anyway, that estimated $28K repair bill has to go to more important issues. I could sign the note on a brand new Hardly Worth a Sh!t (any HD made after 1969), or buy a Hardly Davidson (1965-69), but, why? I only like 1964 and older models, and prefer 1948 or older Big Twin flatheads.

Yep, you just like the older ones...The COUGARS   Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 03/28/15 at 12:42:43

Art Webb wrote on 03/28/15 at 12:33:18:
MAN that is SAWEEEET!   Is that the stock seat?
I am now actively stealing ideas from you  Grin

Yep, stock seat and stock tank. They look a lot less "dork mobile" once the factory headlight, bars, and rear fender assembly are thrown away.

Good luck finding a front bracket for the fender, Nempco went out of business a couple decades ago...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 03/28/15 at 21:31:43

Hmm, ok, I'd actually like a more skirted front fender anyway tbh, (watch me try to use a 'universal' and REALLY botch it )  Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 03/28/15 at 22:29:46

Art Webb wrote on 03/28/15 at 21:31:43:
Hmm, ok, I'd actually like a more skirted front fender anyway tbh, (watch me try to use a 'universal' and REALLY botch it )  Grin

Piece of cake. 4-10 inch wide Indian Chief valanced fenders, in fiberglass... http://www.oldinc.com/oldysin.htm

You'll still need to source a Nempco, Tucker Rocky, Jammer  or similar curved 7" sidemount headlight conversion bracket for FL glide front ends to use as a front brace on the back fender. Plus make a long tailpipe, track down a VN800A rear fender side reflector mount and some spacer pieces...

Be careful what you ask for, as far as I'm concerned the golden days of motorcycles was from the late 1920s to the mid 1960s. I know lots of interesting sites and sources for real or replica parts.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #13 - 03/29/15 at 08:19:54

cool site, thanks!
I likely won't go as far down that road as you, I like my disc brake, for example, but I do agree that the cycles of the 20s to the 50s were more functional, as well as better looking than a lot are these days
then again, they had to be, folks actually rode bikes full time back then, not just as recreation
This is a bit down the road thing, and I'll have to do it as peice work to keep the bike on the road.
First I think are the fenders / floorboards. I never rode a bike with floorboards long enough to matter, but I hear good things
you are definitely more knowledgeable than I am, so I will likely be picking your brain a bit, or maybe a lot  Grin
I don't really have a coalescent vision yet, and I think I should have the look somewhat hammered out before I start buying too much stuff  Grin
one thing I see, my bike is an 07, so has the one peice seat, probably have to scuttle that   Undecided

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 03/29/15 at 08:46:12

I probably have a spare seat pan in the junk pile. If not watch for the Ryca guys to pop up in market place selling take off parts. Or cut your one piece seat down to the look/size needed.

I might 70s out the 98 carcass. Or build a tracker style out of it with an 18" rear. Nothing a wiring harness, alternator, and reg/rec won't fix, IF I can find my spare timing chain tensioner and get it Versy modded. I do need a new mailbox stand though...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:22:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › 50s style redo, almost finished...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.