Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacing brake hose! (Read 97 times)
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Replacing brake hose!
03/25/15 at 21:15:06

Hey, so I'm well on my way o my handlebar swap, though it seems I need a brake hose and clutch cable from a pullback model.

I've been reading about draining the fluid and understand that the master cylinder should never be left to dry out. That leaves me wondering how I would replace the hose. Seems to me that as soon as I crack the bolts open it will empty.

Hope someone can guide me on this one. Clutch cable seems straightforward.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Replacing brake hose!
Reply #1 - 03/25/15 at 23:22:47

if you got a vacuum bleeder, you'll have no issues.
otherwise...  Huh
leave the top connection loose, but ready to tighten.
fill up the master, and cover it with the palm of your hand.
cup it, then press down to pump the fluid to start it.  
repeat till it does.
once you see fluid at the top connection, tighten it up.
once it starts, hang back and watch the master level.
the bleeder should be open and attach a tube to flow the fluid into a cup.

you can do the tranditional pump, loosen, tighten, recover any time.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/26/15 at 02:46:12

The caution to never let the Master Cylinder "dry out" - is for those folks changing brake fluid or doing other maintenance work.....the caution is to prevent you from getting any air in the system.  However....installing a new hose will cause a complete hose that is full of air.

You will need to install new fluid and bleed they system once the new hose is installed.  As Verslagen has said, having a vacuum bleeder makes it a bunch easier.

Or.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMv9l7tIfMQ

I use aquarium pump check valves for the bleed hose....I have been using the same pair for more than 30 years.  Once done bleeding wash the check valves and tubing out with soapy water, and then let them dry before putting them away.  You might be able to find these at a pet shop or store that specializes in aquariums.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-3-8-Viton-Kynar-Non-Return-Marine-Aquarium-Che...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #3 - 03/26/15 at 04:35:33

Ok simple enough. Is there a specific sequence for installing the new hose? Or can I simply remove the master cylinder from the old hose and connect it to the new one? If I tilt it upside down I reckon it would minimize drippage or is that a no-no?

If I buy a kit like this one http://www.amazon.com/Brake-Bleeder-Vacuum-Pump-Kit/dp/B005BT90DI would it facilitate the job? Looks like i have to squeeze that red lever while putting fluid in the master cylinder is that right?

I'm always grateful for the knowledge you all share through this forum, and will keep donating to this site even after I'm able to afford my dream Harley... Undecided haha

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/26/15 at 04:55:22

The best way to be neat about it, would be to turn the handlebars to make the reservoir cap as level as possible, then take off the reservoir cap and carefully wipe all the brake fluid off the top.  Then apply some packing tape or very wide masking tape over the reservoir to seal the top.  Then get a container and disconnect the bottom of the brake hose at the caliper....and catch as much of the brake fluid as you can.  When it stops dripping then loosen the fitting at the master cylinder....and the hose will then drain the brake fluid into the container.  You can then remove the brake hose, you should get little or no flow out of the brake master cylinder...as the tape will not allow the master cylinder to vent and drain.  You can never be completely clean about it however....and be sure to have an old T-shirt or two to wipe up the fluid....the cotton works a lot better than paper towels on brake fluid.

Then you can remove the old hose, install the new one, and begin the bleeding process.  When you remove the tape over the master cylinder and open the bleed screw at the bottom...be sure to keep the master cylinder from getting empty at anytime during the bleeding process, as that will allow more air into the system and require more bleeding.  After you have ridden the bike for a day or two..it never hurts to bleed it one more time - as tiny bubbles can get into the brake fluid while you are bleeding, and after the bike sits for a while the tiny bubbles will collect in the high points.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 03/26/15 at 05:05:23

When replacing the caliper or hose, I much prefer to fill the system from the bottom. It makes the bleeding process much easier as there is little air in the system.

Get a syringe and a length of clear hose. Draw the brake fluid through the hose into the syringe and then connect the hose to the bleeder nipple on the caliper and begin delivering the brake fluid to the system. Once you see fluid entering the master cylinder you can close the bleed nipple and top-off the master from the top side. From there its the normal bleed procedure.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #6 - 03/26/15 at 05:49:18

That really helps. Although the MC is already off the bar and the bar is off the bike. But I can get help holding it upright until I drain the hose and connect the new hose. Now will a tool like the one linked above help with bleeding?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/26/15 at 06:04:57

If you have everything off the bike...just disconnect the hose, dump out the fluid from the MC, etc.  There is no reason to fill or bleed it until it is back on the bike.

The check valve helps keep the fluid from flowing backwards into the caliper when you release the brake lever....you really don't need it if you are opening and closing the bleed screw every time you cycle the lever on the Master Cylinder.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 03/26/15 at 06:08:03

sesamestreet wrote on 03/26/15 at 05:49:18:
Now will a tool like the one linked above help with bleeding?

Yes. But a syringe can be used instead of the pump, an empty bottle can serve as the "collection container" in the kit and a few lengths of hose of various sizes can provide you with adapters. The kit has everything you need for $25 (I think HarborFreight has the same kit) or you can source your own for $5.

Same method, different price point.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #9 - 03/26/15 at 20:50:17

Awesome thanks for all the help. Pumping up the line sounds simple enough but a one way aquarium valve is probably the route I'm going. Dave the step by step is clear as day! Now all I need is they lime and clutch cable and I'm golden. All other wires are fine for the biltwelll chumps with slimline risers (8" rise on the bars)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:21:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacing brake hose!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.