Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oh No! My head gasket has blown! (Read 205 times)
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Oh No! My head gasket has blown!
03/25/15 at 00:07:16

No it hasn't, just funnin' y'all. But I did drag the Cabbage out of hibernation today, getting it going for winter and all. Washed it off and saw a puddle of oil underneath, coming from the head and running down the cooling fins. So, I guess I'll be doing the head plug instead of riding this weekend. May as well order some new clutch plates and make a day of it....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Oh No! My head gasket has blown!
Reply #1 - 03/25/15 at 02:51:58

gizzo wrote on 03/25/15 at 00:07:16:
May as well order some new clutch plates and make a day of it....

You funnin' us again? Undecided

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 03/25/15 at 03:44:20

No,sadly not this time. The clutch has slipped a bit since Ibought it but it's getting worse. Can ride around normal no problem but opening the tap causes it to slip badly. This bike carries some signs of a previously hard life,so who knows how many burnouts and sand drags its done? I know the clutch is supposed to be pretty robust on these but it is what it is. Not like it's a hard or expensive job so may as well make it nice.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/25/15 at 04:05:31

Most likely it started with a previous owner using a car oil with "friction modifiers" in the oil.  Any oil that states it is energy saving or reduces friction is one to avoid.  Not sure what you are using....but in the US their really isn't any reason to use anything but Rotella T or T-6.

You can clean the metal plates off, and you may also be able to do the same with the fiber plates if they aren't burnt smelling or really dark in color.  Wash the oil off and dry the plates, lay a sheet of fine emery cloth or sandpaper on the glass and rub the plates back and forth until the shiny surface is gone, then wash them again and dry them off.  Then install them and add a bit of oil between each plate as you put them together.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 03/25/15 at 04:53:52

Thanks Dave. We don't have the same rotella as you guys so I've been using the same stuff as in my other bikes. Usually a locally made diesel oil. Anyway, when the plates come out ill be able to see whether they need replacing or not. I'm banking on it just being fiction plates . I've never had to change steel plates before. The fiction ones aren't too pricey so may as well.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 03/26/15 at 23:53:22

Well huzzah, the clutch is buggered. there's about 8 thousandths of an inch friction material thickness left on any of the plates. I doubt that's enough to be in spec. Got the head plug out for replacement, too. So I'll go visit old mate at Suzy Parts and order some stuff in the morning. I'd love to catch up with the goose who tore into this engine last time and give him a kick in the nuts. Seems to have been a bit of a  butcher  Angry.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #6 - 03/27/15 at 07:17:50

Clymer gives a minimum thickness of 2.62mm (0.103 in) for the #1 friction disc (closest to the clutch hub) and 3.15mm (0.124 in) for all of the rest of the friction discs.  Hope this helps you.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/27/15 at 09:43:27

Well Gizzo...at least the clutch is an easy fix and not too costly.

The good news is that most folks who abuse the bike have clutch issues before they damage the transmission (as long as they don't stomp on the pedal when shifting from neutral to 1st at a stop).

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 03/27/15 at 15:46:02

HondaLavis wrote on 03/27/15 at 07:17:50:
Clymer gives a minimum thickness of 2.62mm (0.103 in) for the #1 friction disc (closest to the clutch hub) and 3.15mm (0.124 in) for all of the rest of the friction discs.  Hope this helps you.

Thanks mate. Interestingly, my bike (and the Suzuki parts book backs it up) has one thick plate on the outside and the rest thin. Maybe another Clymer error or is Australia different to the rest of the world in more ways than one? Wink
I just checked the total thickness according to hose specs and they're just on the borderline. Anyway they're not goin g back in. They have that crispy fried shiny look about them and it's not worth doing the job over just to try to save a hunjy. Nice avatar BTW, I always find it compelling for some reason.

Dave, you should hear my transmission! It's not broken but sounds like a WW2 truck going past. Pretty sure the output shaft bearings to blame, the whine is more road speed than engine speed. I'm thinking about a complete teardown some time because it needs rings as well, so could do that job at the same time. Nobody's ever in a hurry to split cases....

On the upside: camshaft and followers are in really good shape as are the cam "bearings".

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/28/15 at 04:23:08

Is the outside of the rubber belt all cracked.....or was the bike converted to a chain?

Maybe the output shaft bearing suffered from too tight of a belt/chain.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 03/28/15 at 04:44:34

The belt seems ok: as good as 30 year old rubber could be expected to be. And tension is in spec (the Forum spec that is). Dunno, maybe it just suffered from being thrown in a shed with dirty oil for who knows how many years between services and the bearing's a bit down and dirty? The clutch release bearing is  a bit grumbly, I'll change that, but I guess the rest of the bearings could be in a similar state. The engine sounds really good with the clutch pulled in but gets grumbly with the gearbox spinning, and loud when it's trundling down the road. I'll just hope for the best until I get around to the rebuild. Riding the GT more than anything lately anyway. Might as well get my money's worth from the warranty on that one...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 03/28/15 at 07:30:48

Flush your engine out. If it sat around with old oil in it, especially who knows how old and how dirty old oil, there are deposits stuck to the gears, bearings, bushings, shafts, case itself...

Drain the engine. Put the plug back in the lower case, remove the exhaust pipe and insert a test plug (rubber and steel thing from the hardware store). Pop a valve adjustment cover off, fill the engine with diesel fuel, put the valve cover back on. Let it sit a week or two, drain and refill with diesel. Let it sit another week. Drain it out, put in 2 liters of diesel, remove the plug wire, and roll the bike around, occasionally trying to "pop" start it. The diesel and the sudden lurch will break loose any remaining deposits. Drain the engine, open anything you can to the atmosphere, and let it dry out. When it stops stinking, button it up, add fresh oil, and go for a short ride, planning to replace the oil within a few kilometers.

Then change your clutch plates, refill with fresh oil, and see how it does. Diesel is an amazing cleaner, and has enough lubricity to not frag the transmission guts, piston rings or valves. It will dissolve gum, carbon deposits and glaze... but it will eat your clutch discs if left in for too long.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 03/28/15 at 12:50:57

Dude, I've been riding it for 3 years. It's had a bunch of oil changes and the regular "rolling oil change " I think the diesel treatment won't do much. Thanks anyway. When I first got it,I did do a couple of oil flushes to get the old junk out.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 05/16/15 at 05:50:08

Well, at last I have finished doing the clutch. Didn't have to replace the gasket, no oil leaks either  Smiley the clutch feels much better. No slip but also drops into gear more smoothly. So that's nice. Head plug seems oil tight and so too the rocker box. Had a look at the comedy font brake today. It makes more noise than braking effort. The pads were glazed up so knocked the shine off with a file. Took the opportunity to change thefork oil too . BBlack and stinky. Anyway, brakes back in and bedding them in,the first couple applications did very little but on the third,locked the front wheel at about 15, 20 mph  Shocked. Oops, and almost went down but got away with it. The brake feels excellent.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 05/16/15 at 07:34:55

Good goin' Gizzo!... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:27:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oh No! My head gasket has blown!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.