Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just cruising through... Hi... (Read 142 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Just cruising through... Hi...
03/23/15 at 00:47:11

My 2003 had an electrical melt down, but nowhere as severe as my 1998 (Pokey, R.I.P.--- rusting in pieces). Made one runner from the two junkers.

The 03 is in the middle of a massive redesign. Panhead crash bar and floor boards. Shovelhead rear fender off the 98. Solo seat conversion (permanent). Small police windshield should arrive this week. Headlight (Triumph knock off) off the 98 repainted and installed. Driving lights/bar ready to install. Swapping to the bag set (Indian style) off the 98. May swap to the Vincent levers/perches and Titan/CB450 hybrid drum front wheel off the 98.

The 98 is in the midst of a redo as well. Drag bars in 6 inch dogbone risers off the stock riser set. Shorty stainless steel rear fender. Honda SL style exhaust pipe. Flat track seat. Same goofy flat tracker fuel tank. Stock headlight from the 03, cateye taillight on XS650 light/plate mount. Will need to get a new alternator, reg/rec, battery, timing set to get it running again. May end up buttoning up the engine and using the carcass of the bike as a mailbox stand, the entire electrical system (and I mean everything) is toast... when the alternator spiked, the reg/rec melted, and so did most of the wiring. Had the bike literally 4 wires from finished (lights) and ---  Angry

Intruder 800 is still down. Honda CL100 is still down. 1500 Drifter is going strong at 112K miles and change...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Just cruising through... Hi...
Reply #1 - 03/23/15 at 02:48:14

You've obviously got your work cut out. Hope the 03 project goes better than the '98.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 03/23/15 at 18:24:14

Hey WD, hope you're doing well. Sounds like you got a couple of Frankenbikes! Unfortunately, the more you modify, the more things seem to go wrong.  Sad

Good luck to ya!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 03/23/15 at 23:28:12

Windshield arrived while I was at work. Already pre-assembling to be fit later this morning. Need to find the right bolt and spacer for the rear fender bracket to the tail pipe, hook up turn signals and brake/tail light wires, install the seat. Center up the headlight (off by 1/2"), which runs off the o.e.m. harness and plug.

The driving lights will not be hooked up, as a Savage cannot support the additional 50-100W draw. Going on just for looks.

Also need to pop the handlebar off and reset the stock risers, I guess they got twisted a bit out of whack when Pine laid the bike down... I've put around 20K on the bike as is, but, with the full cosmetic reset, leaving them tweaked is not an option.

Oh, breaking my own #1 rule, the bike is black and chrome... and getting whitewall tires...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 03/24/15 at 02:15:22

Maybe this is too high tech for your old school bike, but have you considered led bulbs for the driving lights?  Prices have gone down and brightness has increased.  Convert to LEDs all around and you may have some extra power to play with! Cheesy

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/24/15 at 09:27:22

Good to see your post WD and to hear that you are still working on your bikes.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 03/24/15 at 18:13:25

Took it for about a 50 mile shake down run. Lost one nut on the exhaust to rear fender end standoff (20 cent roadside fix). All the lights work fine.

Bike handles 100x better with the lower center of gravity versus stock.

The Indian style Willie&Max bags will not work the way I want them to, so, Saddleman Drifter slants are getting hard mounted to the fender, and the tool roll will be swapped out as well.

Only actual repair needed? The speedometer died... Oh, and deleting the passenger pegs as the solo seat conversion is permanent.

Will try and get a couple pics tomorrow for the fiends on here. Only current one is on my phone and I can't download it to the computer (Verizon).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 03/24/15 at 18:58:04

nice! got to take it for a ride!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 03/26/15 at 00:54:26

Sad about your stock speedo.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 03/27/15 at 07:38:52

jcstokes wrote on 03/26/15 at 00:54:26:

2003 odometer quit at 16,210 miles. Speedometer gave it up a couple months ago.

The 98 odometer gave up the ghost showing 15K and change. As far as I know, the speedometer section still works, but, it hasn't been on a bike since sometime in 2005 when the orange bike got totalled out and redone. No idea if it would still work.

No great loss, just a speedometer (not required here). Probably slip a section of capped PVC pipe in the hole as a cup holder.  Cool

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #10 - 03/27/15 at 08:03:04

Quote:
No great loss, just a speedometer (not required here). Probably slip a section of capped PVC pipe in the hole as a cup holder.  Cool

That is an awesome idea.

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 03/27/15 at 10:40:32

WD wrote on 03/27/15 at 07:38:52:
jcstokes wrote on 03/26/15 at 00:54:26:

2003 odometer quit at 16,210 miles. Speedometer gave it up a couple months ago.

The 98 odometer gave up the ghost showing 15K and change. As far as I know, the speedometer section still works, but, it hasn't been on a bike since sometime in 2005 when the orange bike got totalled out and redone. No idea if it would still work.

Include a long straw and you can drink without letting go the bars

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 03/29/15 at 04:42:41

Hey WD send me your mailing address and I'll send you a speedo  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:28:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › Just cruising through... Hi...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.