Send Topic Print
Versy's beast (Read 2921 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Versy's beast
Reply #90 - 10/07/17 at 10:12:23

Penetrating oil, wait 1/2 hour, add oil,set the screwdriver in the screw, gently tap on it several times, push it tight, give it a quick twist.
No joy? Wait, repeat.
An impact will break loose what straight torque will break. If you can get a handheld impact with the right tip, you'll be ahead. Patience,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #91 - 01/13/18 at 18:26:01

New problem or the latest continued...
My exhaust temp is hot... hot enough to melt fiberglass and soften the core enough to bend due to the pressure.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #92 - 01/13/18 at 19:37:53

That's a bit hot, dude..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #93 - 01/13/18 at 21:39:15

Exhaust gas temperatures can run 1300 F or more ( fuel to air ratios change depending on rpm ) at the header, fiberglass is rated to 1000 F. I cut open an old H-D muffler a while back to find that it was packed with mineral wool, which is rated for 1200 F and may be far enough away from the motor to not see damaging temperature . If you have a muffler that you can repack ,and can find ceramic insulation blanket. it is rated for 2300 F.                  I wonder if some of the damage to your muffler could have been caused earlier by the neg. pressure wave returning up the header at rpm that found the exhaust valve closed ,an pulled a very small amount of outside air through the broken exhaust flange ,(causing a slight after burn) driving up the exhaust gas temp?/or you may just be running lean?(don't know if either apply).

« Last Edit: 01/13/18 at 22:58:00 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #94 - 01/14/18 at 01:31:28

Lean is possible, especially after the rear opened up.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #95 - 02/08/19 at 09:34:43

The continuing saga of the lean beast.
I swapped out the carb and muffler from my daily rider and it was lean even with the choke pulled out, bucking and surging.
So I put in a 155 (cause that's the biggest I got) and it was a little better, but not much.
I checked the valves and they were a little tight (maybe cause it's colder than a witches... heart)

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #96 - 02/08/19 at 16:24:33

verslagen1 wrote on 02/08/19 at 09:34:43:
The continuing saga of the lean beast.
I swapped out the carb and muffler from my daily rider and it was lean even with the choke pulled out, bucking and surging.
So I put in a 155 (cause that's the biggest I got) and it was a little better, but not much.
I checked the valves and they were a little tight (maybe cause it's colder than a witches... heart)

“a witches _____ “ ....... what ?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #97 - 02/09/19 at 05:26:38

What octane gas are you running? what's your Compression? Did you advance the valve or igintion timing? Is the cam chain new or stretched? Are you still running the same double filter intake?  That maybe your problem. Air has mass ,and the more it has ( the larger and longer your intake) the harder it is to accelerate . The intake is designed so that the inertia caused by the piston dropping carries fuel in the cylinder up until the intake valve closes even as the piston is rising on the compression stroke. It may be that your intake air mass is to great, and the velocity, being slower, drops to zero before the valve closes ,leaning the charge in the cylinder at rpm higher than where the motor hits peak torque. (ever think about using a VM36 carb-  1 1/2"intake?)

« Last Edit: 02/09/19 at 06:43:19 by batman »  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #98 - 02/09/19 at 10:51:18

no, no
new
yes, nothing was changed since it ran well.
We checked the a/f 2 years ago, but it has been steadily running leaner until the core of the supertrapp melted.
I put the stock carb and muffler on to try to eliminate that as a cause.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #99 - 02/09/19 at 11:47:27

Seems to me that if it was running good the way it was, and then progressively started running leaner & leaner (to the point where it barely runs with the enricher pulled out), then you either have a fuel supply problem or a big air leak.

The fuel supply issue is easy to check and I'm pretty sure you already checked it.  Is it possible that the cylinder head stud that protrudes into the intake port has backed out.  Is there a crack in your rubber intake?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #100 - 02/09/19 at 13:25:30

The stock carb takes a different rubber intake.
And while it was off, I peeked in there and didn't see anything wrong.
I'll have to check fuel delivery and for air leaks.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #101 - 02/10/19 at 13:58:33

DragBikeMike wrote on 02/09/19 at 11:47:27:
Seems to me that if it was running good the way it was, and then progressively started running leaner & leaner (to the point where it barely runs with the enricher pulled out), then you either have a fuel supply problem or a big air leak.

Gas flow out the petcock is 1 pint in 15 seconds.
That can is 6" in length.
I removed the bowl and caught the flow in a pan for 15 sec. again... only filled that same can by 1.25"
So it would take 1 minute, 12 seconds to fill the can that way.

OF said 1 cup per minute was good enough.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #102 - 02/10/19 at 21:07:59

Well it would seem that fuel delivery to the carbs are not the problem , that leaves air delivery to be the culprit . That leaves either the amount of air reaching the cylinder, the velocity of the air being to low to cause a high enough vacuum across the jets to pull in enough fuel or to atomize it into small enough droplets to burn (it's bad enough that only about 30% of the fuel is burned normally in a gas engine to begin with). So ... look at you Intake manifold, You used 2 inch silicon hose ,the inside diameter is 51mm(2 ") ,which you're now using on a stock carb of 40 mm (1.58 "),The areas of each being 3.14 sq in for the intake,  but only 1.95 sq in for the carb ,slowing the velocity of the air in the intake by 1/3? I f that is not bad enough it is compounded by the double filters and Tee which may double the loss of velocity by doubling the size of the intake to 6.38 sq in.   Where your intake may work at low rpm , the larger amount (mass) of air will be hard to accelerate at higher rpm when the intake valve opens,and the time to mix and fill the cylinder is limited to a few milliseconds
     LANCER once stated that the most useful velocity stack used in racing (that are the same diameter as the carb) were in the 6 "length . I used   2" schedule 40 pvc ,with an inside diameter very close to that of the stock carb, it  is about 15"long and I have had no problems.Lancer usually recommends the smaller VM 36 carb for builds with the DR650 piston for the same reason(I believe).

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #103 - 02/10/19 at 22:46:13

I checked compression, 150 psi.
the mouth of the stock carb is 2.25"
the T is 2" and I have a silicone transition.
I put paper filters on to increase vacuum, helps but not much.
I ran the numbers back when I made it and it was pretty close to optimum
for the rpms.
and it ran like a raped ape when I 1st put it together, doin' the ton uphill kinda good.

I checked the voltage at the TDI, and it was 3 volts down from the battery.
Cleaned up the fuse connector and it went up to 1 volt down.
I got a bottle of deoxit and I'm gonna go thru all the connectors and clean them up.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #104 - 02/10/19 at 22:53:56

I'm expecting you have fresh gas..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 08:56:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Versy's beast

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.