Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Linux Mint 17 vs Windows 7 (Read 203 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Linux Mint 17 vs Windows 7
Reply #15 - 03/24/15 at 11:02:19

Maybe this is where I'm wrong, I have never paid MS any money since I brought the computer. I do pay Norton annually and am content to do so.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #16 - 03/24/15 at 11:02:44

Maybe this is where I'm wrong, I have never paid MS any money since I brought the computer. I do pay Norton annually and am content to do so.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #17 - 03/24/15 at 11:33:53

The main reason I haven't completely switched over to Linux yet is the fact that most distros don't play well with my Creative Audio sound card.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #18 - 03/24/15 at 12:09:16

jcstokes:  I thought Norton was into commandos, not commands! Grin Cool

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #19 - 03/24/15 at 12:32:19

Yes Zipi, they are and also were into Featherbeads and other things too. There is a man in my country making total replicas of 1950's Nortons at great expense to the buyers. I will try and find out if he has a website and post it in a new topic.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #20 - 03/24/15 at 15:19:50

my updates usually install when i shut down, automatically
I never sent MS money every year
I do agree a chromebook or box would be better, if I had wifi, but I don't, and I already dropped money on this machine
i might make a dual boot out of it, if I get ambitious

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 03/24/15 at 18:57:49

Smiley

I've never sent MS money each year ..... sez all the boys.

Win10 is your upgrade path now.  

Smiley

MS has force upgraded everybody at Win 8 --- forced them to Win 8.1 then just recently flat told them they are dropping all upgrades to anything that upgrades to Win 10 since Win 10 is your official upgrade path now.

Win 10 is FREE for the first year .....  to anybody using a legal copy of Win 7 or later.

IF YOU LIVE IN CHINA, Win 10 is free to you, any version upgrades to Win 10 FOR FREE, legal version or otherwise.   Those that roll over to Win 10 are granted amnesty.

After that comes 2017 and MS says "We haven't decided yet what 2017 is going to be like a whole year AFTER our magnanimous FREE Win 10 has taken over the world and all your machines are all hooked in to our automatic (no notification) update system".

And they don't know how successful Win 10 is going to be and how much they can get away with charging for it.

NOBODY ELSE CHARGES FOR AN OS ANY MORE -- not even Apple.   They do charge for software maintenance, so mebbe that's what it will get pitched as.    But you will pay, somehow.   MS is a for profit company that provides software products and they must get paid for their efforts.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 03/24/15 at 19:00:03

I'm still getting updates regularly

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 03/24/15 at 19:21:14

See if it continues after Win 10 comes out .....  remember, you are supposed to roll over to Win 10 as your upgrade path.

Art,   is $11 too much for a router?   It is a factory refurb with a full warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-E800-Wireless-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B00NU6N6...

$18 buys you a new router though, one with a better review set (lots more reviewers).   I bought one of these to replace my current occasionally flaky router when it finally dies.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-Wireless-Router-300Mpbs/dp/B001FWYGJS...

=====================================================

Now, confession time  -------  I hate dealing with a new router.    

A router goes everywhere, to every machine cabled to it and all the wifi boxes, phones, laptops scattered all around the house.

Get a new router and you can count on DAYS of fun getting it all switched over.   Every cell phone,  every laptop,   every TV box,  every computer.

Sometimes the fun goes even deeper as individual softwares have the router ID and password saved in their guts so they can start quicker.  

All of them will show themselves before long, stopping you cold at some inopportune time just to sit there and laugh at you while you struggle to get it to changed over to the new router.

Months later, you will still be finding them (because you haven't used that particular software since you put in the new router ....)

Tongue

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #24 - 03/24/15 at 21:22:58

11 bucks ain't too much, nor is 18, but only if it works with roadrunner
and then you talked me out of it lol
actually atm I have only 1 PC and a smartphone, but the phone already has 3g
I might look into it, but last time I went wireless I had to have help to get it going, and it got hacked, thought the hacker didn't cause me any real harm, just Borrowed bandwidth

It's kinda like the mint mate 16 disc I have
I've been assured it's a no brainer, and much better in every way, but I'm not comfortable doing the install for fear I might screw something up

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:33:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Linux Mint 17 vs Windows 7

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.