Send Topic Print
Engine gasket help (Read 205 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Engine gasket help
Reply #15 - 03/23/15 at 05:09:12

No way would I rerun a head gasket. Not because I wouldn't EXPECT it to work,  but because of the hassle if it didn't.

Look up
Cost benefit analysis

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jeffsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/29/15 at 20:43:47

- So 190k means 190 x 1000, which equals 190,000 miles. What wasn't there to understand? Was definitely the head gasket btw. Faulty runner head plug for sure too. Replaced it and sealed it with suzukibond. Head gasket had leaked though...Burt oil underneath the edges that ran out all the way under the seal. Feel like I have done a pretty good job so far, with doing the research and asking questions..although it seems a few on here want to belittle someone trying to learn ad do things right. I'm not an idiot, I took it apart and have it back together (other than cam chain, need to make sure before I seal it up I have it in time correctly). I appreciate the help and advice I've gotten on here, but there's no need to be rude and disrespectful to people asking for help. Thanks

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #17 - 03/30/15 at 01:15:23

Don't take it to heart, jeff. I think it's just taken a lot of people by surprise that A: you have a blown head gasket, because that's just really uncommon on these engines, and B: that someone (a super hero no doubt) has ridden a Savage 190,000 miles. The Cabbage's odometer only goes to 99,000 anyway so you'd have to rely on the PO's say so that it had been around the clock. Holy carp, that's some achievement, and 19,000 miles would be more what you'd expect. So they're just looking for confirmation.
Good work on the rebuild so far, hope the cam timing goes smoothly.
cheers and kind regards,
simon

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 03/30/15 at 03:25:40

Dave wrote on 03/22/15 at 08:37:06:
190K....typing error?  Miles or Kilometers?  You may be honored by going into the Savage Hall of Fame!

jeffsavage wrote on 03/29/15 at 20:43:47:
- So 190k means 190 x 1000, which equals 190,000 miles. What wasn't there to understand?s

Sorry to have asked a reasonable question that irritated you for some reason.  My question was not rude in any way.....and even complimentary as I indicated that you most likely would be eligible to enter the Savage Hall of Fame.  You did not list if you live in an area that measures in miles or kilometers, and your profile doesn't indicate what country or state you live in.  We have members on this forum from all over the world.....and your stated 190,000 miles could have been kilometers....which would have been about 118,000 miles....and 120,000 miles is the most we have recorded on this forum to date.

It is not uncommon for a new member to come onto the forum and claim to have a head gasket leak....however in the entire time this forum has been in existence there has never been a documented head gasket failure.  The rubber plug fails at some point on every bike....and the leaky oil runs around the cylinder head and causes most folks (and even mechanics) to blame the perfectly intact head gasket.  When we question your cylinder head leak - we are trying to help you avoid the unnecessary replacement of the head gasket...when most likely the cause is the rubber head plug.

It takes a while for us to figure out the mechanical knowledge and abilities of any new member.  You established a somewhat lower level of understanding when you stated:

jeffsavage wrote on 03/22/15 at 06:27:43:
i just bought an 18 piece gasket set for my 95 savage. Head gasket was shot so I'm replacing all the gaskets I can. Problem is, all these smaller o rings(one orange one), and four cap like pieces with circle springs recessed into top...

A new member that doesn't recognize the four cap like pieces with circle springs recessed into the top are "valve seals".....is admitting that they have never had a cylinder head apart.

Have a nice day. Smiley
« Last Edit: 03/30/15 at 05:49:33 by Dave »  

10039291.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jeffsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/30/15 at 05:37:46

Wow, I had totally taken that the wrong way. I apologize, I have been edge as of late. Everyone has been very helpful thus far as it is greatly appreciated. Will post pics of the completed job and odometer once it's all back together. Thanks again

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 03/30/15 at 05:50:56

Well, alllritee then. So now, after being here for about 9 years and seeing countless newbies report oil leaking and the head gasket on this low compression engine blown, we actually Have one..
Was it split? Any pics?
Timing is not hard, just scary. Being wrong is just not funny. You will nail it, just make sure that the piston stays at TDC while you're dinking with the cam and chain. Check the dots alignment before torquing the cam gear.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:25:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine gasket help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.