Send Topic Print
Engine gasket help (Read 205 times)
jeffsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine gasket help
03/22/15 at 06:27:43

i just bought an 18 piece gasket set for my 95 savage. Head gasket was shot so I'm replacing all the gaskets I can. Problem is, all these smaller o rings(one orange one), and four cap like pieces with circle springs recessed into top...have no idea where they go haha can't find a guide anywhere online. Sure I would find them if I looked and dug into the bike enough, but would greatly appreciate some tips/pointers from those who have already done this job. Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Engine gasket help
Reply #1 - 03/22/15 at 06:47:30

And how did you determine the head gasket was bad?
Got the head off?
Did you clean the grit and crud from around the spark plug before removing it?
Year model, miles, basic information, symptoms, experience as mechanic,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/22/15 at 06:48:25

If you are taking the bike apart (obviously), you just need to replace the gaskets that you encounter on the way.  An awful lot of those gaskets and seals may be for the the internal parts you may never get to...like the oil pump, transmission shift linkage, etc.  I know some of the O-rings fit in between the center cases to keep oil from coming our around screws that hold the case together.

The 4 rubber pieces with internal springs.....most likely are valve seals.  They go on the valve stems, and you can't get to them unless you remove the valve springs.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jeffsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/22/15 at 07:04:08

I determined the head gasket was bad judging by all the oil seeping out from around where it sits in the engine. I took the engine mounts off, pulled the engine and started breaking down the engine from top to bottom(carefully laying all parts in order that they came out). I have cleaned the engine maticulously, cleaned all the crud from everything( there was a lot due to leaky head gasket). 95 Suzuki savage,190k runs great, just leaking oil from obvious spots. Have wrenched in a few trucks and cars/trucks of mine over the years and have done a lot of small jobs to the savage. Took this on because I saw I could do it, and enjoy learning more about my bike and in general, just like being in the garage. Figured a lot of these o rings I wouldn't be able to get to. Just wanted to see if there wasn't something I was missing. Is there a special tool for removing valve springs?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/22/15 at 07:30:55

Well, if it was a weepy oil issue....most likely it was the rubber head plug and not the head gasket.  That rubber plug that goes over the right front cylinder stud did not have any sealant on it when it left the factory....and unfortunately  it will leak eventually.  You should be a new one, and apply the proper (Suzuki Bond, YamaBond, Hondabond or Three bond)....it is preferable to the over the counter RTV gasket sealants.

On occasion the nuts/studs that are directly under the intake and exhaust ports can week some oil as well if they come loose.  You should apply a bit of sealer to those when you install the washers and nuts.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/22/15 at 08:37:06

190K....typing error?  Miles or Kilometers?  You may be honored by going into the Savage Hall of Fame!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 03/22/15 at 13:22:17

Runs great,  blown head gasket,  hmmm...
Wait till you get there and discover that was not the problem.

The common problem is an oil leak often diagnosed as a head gasket. One guy recently paid for it... but best I can tell, never saw the old gasket. I suspect the dealer fixed the leak, and charged for the head gasket job..
Why do people dive in, THEN ask questions?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 03/22/15 at 14:42:47

Evidently,  I'm may be mistaken.  I didn't think we had a head gasket.  I thought we used a thin bead of RTV or perhaps something of higher quality.  Could someone elaborate?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 03/22/15 at 14:52:13

we have a head gasket, we don't have a head cover gasket.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/22/15 at 15:11:42

Head cover comes off to access the cam. Just a bead of goo for the gasket up there, and it determines the spacing for the cam bearings. Getting it even and thin matters. Kinda surprised that they did it that way.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #10 - 03/22/15 at 15:29:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/22/15 at 15:11:42:
Head cover comes off to access the cam. Just a bead of goo for the gasket up there, and it determines the spacing for the cam bearings. Getting it even and thin matters. Kinda surprised that they did it that way.

That is my understanding as well.  Why doesn't Suzuki use a preformed/cut gasket like on the clutch cover gasket?   It just seems a lot simpler.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/23/15 at 02:45:26

pg wrote on 03/22/15 at 15:29:08:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/22/15 at 15:11:42:

That is my understanding as well.  Why doesn't Suzuki use a preformed/cut gasket like on the clutch cover gasket?   It just seems a lot simpler.

Best regards,

Because the head cover is also the upper half of the cam bearings.  It is a machined fit....just like the crankcase halves.  The pieces need to be stuck tightly together....so the clearances are proper for the cam bearings.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 03/23/15 at 04:27:16

I've never seen a Savage with a blown head gasket (well the only Savage I've seen is my one...) but worked on plenty of other thumpers and changes a lot of blown head gaskets. On a big single, when it's leaking, you know about it. Makes a terrible noise, just like there's compression escaping the cylinder. funny, that. Often they'd run fine at idle but all goes bad when the throttle's cracked open. The Red hand grenade model Honda XR250 was bad for it- head bolts would pull free for no obvious reason, gasket leaks, compression blows onto your pants. Nice.
But anyway if the heads off, it's off. Put it back together with the same gaskets that came out, you'll be fine. The valve springs, can generally get them off with a hammer and socket, but you need the special tool to get 'em back on again  Wink
An old guy I used to work for swore that spraying the steel gaskets with silver frost spray paint made them seal more reliably, but I dunno about that one.....
Happy engine building, buddy.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 03/23/15 at 04:46:45

gizzo wrote on 03/23/15 at 04:27:16:
An old guy I used to work for swore that spraying the steel gaskets with silver frost spray paint made them seal more reliably, but I dunno about that one.....

The new head gasket already has a coating..it is not bare copper.  I would not add anything...just make sure the mating surfaces are smooth,, clean, and free of oil or grease.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #14 - 03/23/15 at 04:54:51

I actually made a copper head gasket for my own XR back then,now you mention it. Worked great. I needed a thicker gasket because the head had been decked too far after it had been repaired.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:30:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine gasket help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.