Send Topic Print
I have no friends... (Read 332 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
I have no friends...
03/21/15 at 21:31:57

I know the title may seem dismal but I'll give you the backstory. My "wife" and I are not actually married. We've kinda pushed it off for years now for one reason or another. Trying to settle on a date this year and we were going thru the usual questions. Who to invite, where to have it, honeymoon destination. And the best man subject came up. That got me thinking I've been in California 6 years now and I have yet to develop a "best man potential" friend. Hell I have yet to develop an "I'd invite over to the house" friend. I blamed it on work. I'm an executive chef and work 65+ hours a week. With that kind of schedule it's hard to make friends. I do t have much family and my brother and I haven't spoken in nearly 10 years. When my parents split so did the custody so that rules the easy best man route out.

The more I thought about it the more I realized I don't have a best friend. The one who's got you covered no matter what. I never made time to make friends when I moved here. I met my wife to be, started a family and never looked back. Then i realized I'll be 40 this year. Pretty big birthday and who the hell would I invite to a function if I had one.

Even typing now kinda bothers me. I've been so head down move forward with life I've basically alienated myself from friendships and been ok with that. It wasn't until I realized for a real wedding I need a best man and I cannot provide that. There's no best friend in my life. Kinda sad

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: I have no friends...
Reply #1 - 03/21/15 at 21:42:16

my wife is my only friend

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/22/15 at 04:27:37

Society would have us believe we must have friends, or we are somehow faulty. Don't buy into that. Don't evaluate your life or measure your value based on what you've been taught. Everyone WANTS to be "normal" yet everyone wants to be exceptional... sounds like you're too busy being exceptional to have a normal life..
Friends are good to have, but only if you have time to do things with them.
Finding a couple, where you get along with him And his wife and your wife likes both of them,    well, snot easy. Been married 30 years,only happened twice.
First thing,  do you WANT to add to the number of people you have to
deal with, consider the feelings of, and all the stuff Friendship entails?
Or would you be happier selling fewer hours of labor?
Are you happy?
I'm not suggesting you answer,, the answers only matter to you.
If you are interested in talking, pm me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 03/22/15 at 07:46:11

I will echo the sentiments of the other replies thus far......

A person who is well adjusted needs not another (person) to validate them.
Being self supportive in all aspects of ones life is about as "successful" as one can be.
Instead of looking at an "absents" in your life, perhaps you can look at yourself and see if you foster such independence as a defensive mechanism to a previous life issue, your parents divorce?  
If it bothers you now, is the reason just, or a temporary one based on a projected "normal" wedding scenario?
If in fact you really like traveling through life without all cumbersome energy it can take to maintain friendships, then I suggest you explain it to your future wife, ask if a certificate would suffice and spend the money on a pregnant dog'n honeymoon like on Fiji in one of those huts out over the water  Grin

EDIT: BTW, I wanted to clarify that I am not suggesting that those with friends are wrong or somehow weaker, for needing/wanting them.
We are all unique upon our own, that is what truly makes mankind different than all other creations.
This is a "is what it is" thing ( did I just sound like Willie  Shocked ) and one size does not fit all.
And remember this tidbit too.....
In establishments where food/drink is served, they have a counter with stools, as not everybody has a need for a booth or table  Grin
That is a fact and it should tell you something....

« Last Edit: 03/22/15 at 08:57:35 by raydawg »  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #4 - 03/22/15 at 11:31:45

Your best friend is waiting for you at the local Humane Shelter
As for a honeymoon. If i were living in California, I would honeymoon here:
https://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=A0LEV0HrCQ9VD.YA4wFXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzcG...
I have sort of honeymooned there several times in the past although there was no wedding involved.

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #5 - 03/22/15 at 11:57:42

Thanks for all the replies. I've never really been a social butterfly so not having a large group of friends never really bothered me. And to be honest my circle of friends for most of my life have been more of a purpose served than just a friend. They were buddies who welded, did electrical work, managed the bar and so on and so forth. When I moved to Cali I worked at filling the voids of life in my mid 30's. No serious relationship. No kids. Still chasing a career. In the process of doing all that I didn't leave time for friends. The only reason it even became an issue that needed addressed was the whole best man situation. But that brought on the what have I done wrong scenario, why don't I have any friends.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 03/22/15 at 14:39:26

Rylee wrote on 03/22/15 at 11:57:42:
what have I done wrong scenario, why don't I have any friends.

Regarding this topic, I had a relative who used to say:

"If you have one or two true friends during your entire life, your extremely fortunate."

My understanding is you have one or two your doing a whole lot better than most people.  You may come across some good folks, nice acquaintances, but you really won't have many genuine friends.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/23/15 at 06:09:33

If you're asking, I'd be honored to be your best man.
Cheesy

--Steve

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #8 - 03/23/15 at 09:04:21

Quote:
" ... I need a best man and I cannot provide that ..."

You only, 'need', one, if, 'you', want one.
All you need is a, 'witness'.

That said, you do, have a,  'best friend', it is your wife/S.O/whatever.

As said before, some do, some don't, have a, 'best friend'.
No big deal. Some have, 'buddies', 'etc..'.

Just relax. It may or may not happen.
If it does, Great.  If not, no problem.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/23/15 at 09:40:21

Who is giving the bride away?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
atomikchicken
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/23/15 at 09:53:05

Your bike should be your best man.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 03/23/15 at 12:08:36

MnSpring wrote on 03/23/15 at 09:04:21:
[color=#0000ff]That said, you do, have a,  'best friend', it is your wife/S.O/whatever.

+1
your best friend, your confidant, your lover... what more do you need?

It's a consequence of being involved for so long.

BTW tell her as best man she's responsible for the bachelor party and you expect a lap dance or 2.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #12 - 03/24/15 at 01:41:41

Hello Rylee,

Maurizio here from Italy (yup, the really far-away one, 9 time zones due east from you Wink )

You say
"But that brought on the what have I done wrong scenario, why don't I have any friends. "

You have done nothing wrong, quite simply you have chosen your acquaintances so carefully,
that to this day none of them are considered good enough to be in your own most intimate "inner circle".
This does not mean you will never have any.
Best friends drop out of the sky, in a "serendipity" kind of way, much like "love at first sight".

MnSpring is quite correct when he points out you don't need a "best man" (lower case intentional) but a "witness",
that's what the law says "you and the bride need reciprocal witnesses".
"Best Man" and "Bridesmaids" are traditions, not legal requirements.

So, if you two are in love, consider this:
Go on a cruise and arrange to marry on the ship, by the Captain.
Unless somebody screams "Bloody murder I wasn't invited!" at you, it could well be an interesting option.
Then, you can have your wedding party upon your return.
It is called... (drum roll, please) eloping.
Century long tradition there - actually, look up the "Rape of the Sabine Women" (cit. Wikipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rape_of_the_Sabine_Women

"The Rape of the Sabine Women (Latin: Sabinae raptae) is an episode in the legendary history of Rome, traditionally dated to 750 BC,[1] in which the first generation of Roman men acquired wives for themselves from the neighboring Sabine families.
The English word rape is a conventional translation of the Latin raptio, which in this context means "abduction" rather than its prevalent modern meaning in English language of sexual violation.
"

Actually, eloping can be quite romantic.
"Some cultures today maintain symbolic bride kidnapping ritual as part of traditions surrounding a wedding, in a nod to the practice of bride kidnapping which may have figured in that culture's history.
According to some sources, the honeymoon is a relic of marriage by capture, based on the practice of the husband going into hiding with his wife to avoid reprisals from her relatives,
with the intention that the woman would be pregnant by the end of the month"
Cheesy Kiss Kiss Kiss Cheesy

Now... about that Honeymoon... consider how much time you have available, and how moch money...
...with the €uro getting weaker on the US$ day by day, London, Paris and Rome could work out cheaper than Hawaii...  Wink

« Last Edit: 03/24/15 at 05:28:31 by mpescatori »  

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 03/24/15 at 04:59:44

Cruise,,  = wedding AND honeymoon.. Pesci nails it..

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 03/24/15 at 06:48:57

Of course... there's the alternative "Plan R"
(Romantic Men always have an alternative !!!)

Make sure you and your wife have valid passports, buy two Business or Economy Premium tickets to Venice
and let her find out only when you walk her to the gate at the airport !
Kiss

These are actual hotel Facades, not just any old building... Wink

LAX or SFO - Venice is a looong way away ... you will have to fly in two legs, with a short layover in places like Toronto, Paris or Frankfurt. Overnight flight and having to brave a 9-hr jet lag...
BUT
Nothing beats a honeymoon in Venice !
Kiss
Then, you can hire a car and drive your way down towards Roma, stopping by here and there.

There are a few places I recommend:

FLORENCE

SIENA and its environs

YES, KING ARTHUR'S SWORD IN THE STONE IS ACTUALLY ITALIAN...  Cool

PERUGIA

Treat the Missus to a little Medieval Romanticism ?
This really IS a four-star hotel ! I've enjoyed quite a few anniversaries here   Kiss

ROME

did I mention Rome ?  Roll Eyes

Need I say more ?  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 15:20:35

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › I have no friends...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.