Send Topic Print
Painting (Read 86 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Painting
03/19/15 at 09:57:08

So my CS-1 is done, but it's not finished. I still have to paint the tank, fender, seat pan and side covers.

I was going to have everything painted professionally, but after looking at how much I've spent on this project, I think I should save myself a few dollars...otherwise I should have just purchased a new FZ-09  :'(

I have a Campbell-Hausfeld 60 gallon compressor with an inline air/water separator. The compressor is rated at 11.5 CFM @ 40psi and 10.5 CFM @ 90psi. Clearly it should be able to run a HVLP spray gun.

The problem is, I've never really painted anything. I've primed the aluminum parts of my airplane as I built it, but that's just not the same skill-set as applying a finish coat.

As I understand the process I need to fill any low spots on the surface to be primed/painted with lightweight filler, sand it, and then prime it so it can be evaluated. This process is repeated until I have a ready-to-go surface for color painting. Am I missing anything?

Well, I am missing something...a paint gun. What type of HVLP gun is recommended? Do I need more then one? Do they sell guns with throw away cups so the cleaning is reduced?

What brand/type of paint should I use. Are some brands more user friendly then others?

I'm sure I can do this...I just haven't.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Painting
Reply #1 - 03/19/15 at 10:05:18

I've worked in 3 body shops. In every one there was at least one who did side work at home. Find one of those guys, save a bundleAND a huge headache. You really don't want the expense of a crap job needing redone.
Unless you believe your first Go at painting will come out looking like what you want... some do... not me.. I do good metal work. Paint, no..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 03/19/15 at 10:26:40

If you want a professional quality paint job buy either Binks or Devilbiss spray equipment.

Usually the body shop supply houses have a good selection of spray guns.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/19/15 at 10:37:34

This is a huge topic.....from proper prep of metal and fiberglass, applying body filler and how to sand, how to prime and sand, how to apply base and clear coats.....It took me 4 attempts to post even this little bit, as I just kept deleting my attempts as I just didn't know where to begin.

I know you are a very adaptable person...and I think you could get it easily with some "hands on" demonstration and practice.  It does take a long time to get good at it however - but the new base/clear coat systems are very easy to work with.  You do need a good clean place to spray in - and one that you are not upset about getting the floor painted the same color as the paint you are spraying. You also need a very good respirator...the new paints are horribly toxic.

I have a Binks #7 spray gun from when I was painting enamel paint on cars year ago, and I left it parked for the bike project.  I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a new HVLP paint gun, and it turns out the small guns from Harbor Freight work just fine with a little practice.  They don't put out enough paint to do a car....but on a motorcycle tank they do fine.  I think the one I bought was about $ 24.

Maybe you can hook up with swing69....he teaches autobody shop! His star pupils may need a class project?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 03/19/15 at 11:21:23

Dave wrote on 03/19/15 at 10:37:34:
Maybe you can hook up with swing69....he teaches autobody shop! His star pupils may need a class project?[/size]

Hmmm, a little trade in labor. Painting for fork work.

Where I work there are over 100 highly skilled craftsmen making aircraft parts. Many of these individuals ride and I'm sure do their own work. We even have a paint booth and a paint team. I may take Justin's suggestion and ask the paint guys if they would be willing to take-on a side project (away from work of course).

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/19/15 at 11:36:38

You can do some of the work... save money, learn. Hand him beer, do some sanding...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #6 - 03/19/15 at 13:22:50

i use Matrix base/clear system way to cold in nj to do any painting !
heating your workspace without blowing up should be considered.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:11:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Painting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.