Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My other money pit...... (Read 250 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: My other money pit......
Reply #15 - 03/25/15 at 23:28:26

if bows don't work out, you can always make shillelagh's.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 03/26/15 at 07:04:29

Have Osage Orange, a couple kinds of locust, elms, willows, hickories... all in the way. There is always someone home on the farm. You guys can have all the material you care to harvest. We'll even knock them down and buck them for you if it will get people here using the wood...

Was in the lower mid 70s yesterday, going down into the 30s tonight. Should already be in the 70s to low 80s consistently.

What saws do I need to ensure are up and running? Table saw? Band saw? Just chainsaws? Chainsaw powered mill? The bigger logs are going to be used for lumber anyway...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Wolfe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Martinsburg WV
Reply #17 - 03/30/15 at 10:55:28

I would love to do this and then the ultimate gratitude would be a kill afterwards. Nice!

Never Satisfied!!
  IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #18 - 03/30/15 at 15:00:39

Nah. The kill is a bit anti-climatic. Making a bow that shoots well is the thrilling part.  And the turkey/shrimp kabobs!

That hollow coyote that's holding those arrows was killed on the first day of the first season I dedicated to hunting with a woodbow. Got him about 15 minutes after shooting a bobcat that I saw and lip-squeeked to within 6 yards. I was wondering how close they get before they spring onto you! Coulda shot the coyote's brother who came to the same spot a couple minutes later, but passed him up, cuz I was down to one arrow at 7:30 on opening day of deer season. A few minutes later I realized I shoulda shot him, too, cuz there wadn't no way I was gonna get a shot at a deer with that many dead critters laying around.  Smiley

'04 Savageless
I don't wanna pickle. I just wanna ride on my motorsickle.
And I don't wanna die, I just wanna ride on my motorcy...cle.
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #19 - 03/30/15 at 15:10:14

My latest shavehorse. Treated wood this time. The first one disintegrated in the back yard after about 15 years of hard use.

jachase, I like this style better because the stave goes in from the side to be held under the offset head, rather than having to put it in lengthwise.

'04 Savageless
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #20 - 03/30/15 at 15:29:05

that is style i was going to make but last minute changed to the one I did build. Next one I am going to make that style probably soon toon.

Hmmm all the osage and hickory that is real tempting

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #21 - 03/30/15 at 16:23:47

If you can get osage, forget hickory. Takes no longer to make an osage bow than a hickory bow, and unless you live in a very dry environment the hickory will follow the string MUCH more than the osage, no matter how "overbuilt".

Now hickory saplings are good if you find yourself in a situation that you needed a bow today or tomorrow, no matter how poor it is for long-term. Otherwise...

'04 Savageless
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #22 - 03/30/15 at 22:48:52

Don't get mad at me now, but, I've been checking out bowyers on youtube lately.
Found a fella "Backyardbowyer" making bows outta schedule 40 pvc! has had one for 3 years that is still at 80lbs of pull 28" draw.
Watched him make a 100lb. pull crossbow today using a fir board and pvc... very neat.
I guess he started experimenting for a survivalist type of thing.... he does both wood and pvc bows...very talented.
LOL I figure I can't go wrong if I at least give ONE  PVC bow a try.......
I still will have to watch the string making procedures over and over until I learn to measure and twist correctly. Cool
All in all not bad for about $15 bucks and 45 minutes of time...

Here is one link:

Here is a 50lb 28" draw take down (2 piece) bow

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 03/30/15 at 23:38:46

My last crossbow launched a 1" diameter, 3' long piece of rebar through a big Douglas Fir tree... 6x6 timber, boat trailer winch, spring pack off a 1 ton 4 wheel drive...

I get bored easily and tend to have a lot of "junk" laying around to play with.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #24 - 03/31/15 at 04:47:56

if you are checking out guys on youtube check out boarriarbows and primitivepathways they are both very good at making and explaining bowmaking.

the guy from primitivepathways was on a tv show called i cave man dont think it ever aired buy was group of guys and gals reality show starting with nothing and only allowed to use tools in cave man times. They were actually able to down a bull elk with stick spears and attle (spelling on that one?)

They guy with the pvc stuff really really needs to wear breathing protection heating pvc gives very bad fumes.

Hey pickle im up for a savage ride and a bowmaking jamborie!!!

Ill bring some american holly staves with no knots they very hard to find

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #25 - 03/31/15 at 13:39:42

I'm all for doing what you like, but to me there is no "magic" in making a bow of PVC. Especially when you already have a bow that is far superior to any PVC bow ever built. Heck, you can take the shot out of a .410 shell, load it, and shove an arrow down the barrel on top of it and shoot that, too. But why? It won't have the history of our ancestors accompanying it.

You know, we're ALL descendants of archers; their superior weapons allowed them to whup up on and otherwise extinctify the stick-swingers, rock-chuckers, and spear throwers and take all their fishin' rods, and motorcycles, and other cool stuff, drag off their women, and pass down their genes to us.   Grin

'04 Savageless
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #26 - 04/01/15 at 19:45:17

I'm looking forward to making my first bow.... I will keep watching all the video's on "how to" and who prefers what woods and the processes they use.
So far I've seen:
Hand sawed and split, formed with the drawing knife.
Chopping your own and forming a "plank" using saws and sanders
Using existing lumber from Lowe's or Home Depot
Using PVC piping
And only one from a guy who does his own fiberglass. (too involved for me).
All the end products work, some take TONS of skill and time.
Truth be told, i'll chop my tree... and store it for a couple years.
In the mean time i'll try a few of the "quick" methods... maybe learn a bit  more about wood grains and flow...
LOL, I've always loved to work with wood and the smell of it after it has been chipped, cut, sawed or sanded.
I'll come up to see you guys and participate in your "bow class" , sounds like I can learn a lot from ya'll.
But for now... I'm going to build me a back flash and a "capture box" to practice with my 45# recurve I have had since I was 12 years old.

So should I oil or wax my recurve? I have been lightly oiling it over the years, but it looks kind of splotchy in the pictures as if the finish is finally getting worn spots or oxidation?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #27 - 04/02/15 at 02:33:58

Your bow should be waxed and stored horizontally, hung across two pegs much like you would a long-gun. Don't string it by stepping through it, that has ruined many a recurve from that era. Always use a stringer, a $10 dollar investment. What you don't want to do is stand it on end and I think that oiling it is probably not the best thing either. It should be treated as a varnished or polyurathaned surface not as a raw wood surface. You don't want the wood absorbing oil or the finish reacting with the oil.  A traditional archery forum called "the Leatherwall" would be very instructional for you.

More later. Gotta date with a gobbler now. Hope he doesn't stand me up.

'04 Savageless
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:23:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › My other money pit......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.