Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My other money pit...... (Read 250 times)
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
My other money pit......
03/19/15 at 07:53:33

Not so much of expense other than time...

Here is the log with the bark gone.

The wood brought down to one growth ring

And the start of the handle and limbs of the bow.

So far 2 hrs into the bow trying to manage time on this one to get idea if worth while selling them or not.

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: My other money pit......
Reply #1 - 03/19/15 at 08:27:19

Now that's old school... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 03/19/15 at 08:30:57

jachase1980

Most of the "HOBBIES" I've tried cost me money .     If you find one that you break even at then your doing better than I ever have !  Roll Eyes

At an Arts and Crafts show you might sell them for "Art" prices ?  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #3 - 03/19/15 at 09:05:27

so far I have made 2 for retirement gifts

1 barter for more wood osage orange from ohio and hunting trip

1 barter for hunting trip for me and my son to west virginia

1 for $300

Funny thing is I have yet to make one for me lol. the one i am doing now is for me

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #4 - 03/19/15 at 10:46:20

That's my "thing", too!!  Did it hot and heavy for about 15 years but haven't made any in the last three or four, once I'd "conquered"it, I guess. Suppose I've made way over 100. I hunt with em, too.

Hate to say it, but until you've developed a "name" in the field it'll be real hard selling more than the very occasional one. Seems folks that want one want to have made it themselves. You could probably have better luck selling shavehorses.

BTW, I think you have a PM from me.

« Last Edit: 03/25/15 at 21:23:17 by dontwannapickle »  

'04 Savageless
I don't wanna pickle. I just wanna ride on my motorsickle.
And I don't wanna die, I just wanna ride on my motorcy...cle.
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #5 - 03/19/15 at 11:40:25

Ah, using a 'snitzelbunk'  or "wood shaving horse".

Spend many hours making ceder wood shingles, with a 'Frow'.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #6 - 03/19/15 at 17:41:49

that is a nice buck. they dont grow like that in jersey but that is because too many hunters in small amount of woods.

IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #7 - 03/19/15 at 19:36:57

They don't grow like that in AL, either.  But that time one did. Smiley

I figure it as reaffirmation of the theory that you get more outa what you put more inta.

'04 Savageless
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 03/24/15 at 20:47:46

Nice work, and nice buck.

Come down here for bow season, you are allowed 3 does per day from sometime in September to sometime in January in our area. And you can have all the Osage Orange you care to cut and haul home. We have dozens of them, and they are nothing but a nearly impossible to kill weed (kinda like the deer and feral hogs).

Tell you what, combine a hunting trip, bow making workshop, and motorcycle gathering, and I'll host it at the farm. I've even got the widgets you hang deer (and other vermin) with for processing. No, that isn't a typo, deer keep eating our nursery stock, per the game department that makes them vermin and I can "harvest" them year round...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 03/24/15 at 21:49:00

I would love to learn to do that.... I still have my old AMF Wing Chaparral my foster dad bought for me when I was 11 years old.
It is an overglassed recurve 60" long at 45lbs of pull.
Took my first buck with it at 12.... big ol' 7 pointer!
How long are your bows normally? and what poundage?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 03/24/15 at 21:51:47

jachase1980

My place is "OVER RUN"  with Osage Orange"  we call it "Bow-Dock"  

How close to southern-Middle Tennessee and can you pile you own brush ?

I'd be OK with 90 acres of them being gone ,

You come cut them and I'll use the front-end loader to shove the leftover parts into a pile to burn.  

They make good fence post , after about 100 years you still have to drill two holes in them to put a staple into them.  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 03/24/15 at 21:57:43

Yeah, dad used to call them Hedge Trees, or Hedge apple tree.... darn things were tuff and lasted forever as fence posts!  If I remember right they had a real dark center....kind of a grayish black? with yellowish in between the bark and center?

LOL, been awhile and chemo took away a bit of memory storage.....

Hey MMR! save me a couple of large branches if you cut one down before Septembers rally! The wife wants to come to the warrior ride at the dragon, but cant ride the bike that far... so i'll be brining my truck! and maybe my chain saw???  Roll Eyes Grin Cool

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 03/24/15 at 22:43:12

darn, WD, that's the greatest idea I've heard in ages! Love it! I'd be up for it if I weren't on the other side of the planet  :'(.  I'll have to stick to goats and carp with my old compound bow.

IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #13 - 03/25/15 at 20:16:50

There's some things to know in order to avoid wasting good osage. If you think about it, you'll realize wasting it was very sinful until 150 or so years ago.

Most important, don't cut more than 4-5 logs at a time, as it must be split, debarked, the sapwood removed, and otherwise reduced to bow-staves within a week or so to avoid checking (radial cracks due to too rapid drying). Also, the ends of a log must be sealed with water-resistant something immediately upon felling to avoid checking. You'll hear the wood cracking radially within minutes unless you seal it correctly and quickly. Shellack is best for sealing the ends, but some folks use paint (but that hides the rings from view), some use wood glue. You can even mess up the staves just by cutting them in the wrong place. There is MUCH more to it than merely felling a tree and splitting it.

I think WD's idea to have a bow-making/woodcutting clinic would be a great idea, and I would be glad to show y'all how to get a good start in your bow-makin'.  Let's do this in a couple months before it gets too hot.

I have more bowstaves than one caveman can use in a lifetime and I'd be glad to bring some so y'all could get started on wood that is already dry enough to start making into bows. FYI, wood dries inward from the outside at a rate of 1/2" a year and since a bowstave is about 2x2 inches it takes 2+ years to dry enough to start bending without crushing the wood cells on the side facing the archer (the wood experiencing compression). There really is a lot to learn. Its not hard, cavemen figured out how to do it. It's just that there's no reason to try to figure out through trial and error what folks have figured out over the past 20,000 or so years.

MMRanch, I volunteer to come up from Huntsville some afternoon soon and cut down a tree or two.

« Last Edit: 03/25/15 at 21:29:10 by dontwannapickle »  

'04 Savageless
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #14 - 03/25/15 at 21:08:19

Here are some of my bows, unstrung.

Here they are strung up.

Note that the bow has to follow the grain of the wood. That's why the OP removed wood to exposed one growth ring on the side that faces away from him when the bow is drawn. If fibers are cut through (on a part of the bow that undergoes tension forces) splinters will rise, weakening that spot, leading to bow failure/exploding. See the hole in the bow on the right; that's where the grain of the wood "flowed" around a rotted-away limb. That bow is also backed with sinew from the Achilles tendon of a deer allowing the short bow to be bent to a tighter arc to allow the same draw length as the longer bows. It also has a string twisted up from fibers pulled from sinew. (That's a whole 'nuther thang right there.) The bow on the other side wiggles to the sides when viewed from the front as that grain wiggled back and forth. The grain should be "read" through the bark before the tree is even cut as grain that wraps around the tree is worthless, while grain that snakes back and forth a lot is highly prized by bowmakers with the skill to take advantage of it.

As you can see, this subject really pleases this caveman.

'04 Savageless
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:26:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › My other money pit......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.