Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installed bar end mirrors & how. (Read 79 times)
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Installed bar end mirrors & how.
03/18/15 at 21:05:38

Emgo bar end mirrors installed.  Figured it out.

1.  Removed and discarded the internal expanders and ugly bolts which are metric.  Replaced with  5/16" dia. button head 1.5" long that fit well.  

2.  Made a drill guide: Cut two 1" pieces of PVC pipe, 3/4 & 1/2 dia.  and slid them into each other.  Filed a shallow groove along the outside side of this 'collar' to fit over the seam inside the handlebar tube.  Found a 1/4" ID metal tube 1.5"+/- long and shimmed to slide fit inside the PVC pipe collar. [a piece of old sawed-off airgun barrel shimmed with masking tape wrap].

3.  Found a 7mm drill bit in my tool box, apx size for the 5/16 x 18 tap I had [17/64" also works].

4.  Vised and drilled out the 1/4" ID tube to 7mm.

5.  Slid the shimmed metal tube into the PVC pipe collar I pushed into the handlebar ends and using it as a guide, drilled into the plugs welded inside, apx 5/8" for the std plug tap.  Threaded holes to depth.

6. Filed shorter the mirror base expander bosses to the depth available inside the bars. Inserted the 5/16" bolts and tightened.  

7.  The mirrors are installed.

8. Still need:

A. two fender washers to go between the mirror and end of bars to cover the gaps and maybe thin rubber shock washers to make twisting adjustment easier.

B. something to fill in the gap between the end of the grips and the end of the bars where the factory plastic caps were.

c. two decorative bolts to fill the old mirror rod holes.

One hopes you know how to use a file, saw straight, drill carefully, and use a tap properly if you attempt this.  I wore ear plugs and safety glasses.  Maybe 1.5 hrs on this cloudy evening.  

Camera's dead.  Pics when I post of the whole bike... coming soon.!

I feel less blind already. Grin.  RAH.!!!  

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Installed bar end mirrors & how.
Reply #1 - 03/18/15 at 21:27:29

Heck,...  where where you, when my bar-ends were swinging all over the place?...
Grin...

Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #2 - 03/18/15 at 22:24:21

I really want to see this! Smiley
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 03/19/15 at 05:05:30

Looking forward to the photos as well. I have the Emgo bar end mirrors but have not installed them yet. I wasn't aware that they did not work well. What is the typical failure mode?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #4 - 03/20/15 at 13:54:11

Ok, installed rubber grommets and spacers.  they still VIBRATE excessively.  BUT at least I can see behind me without craning my neck.  Back off on the throttle for a moment and it clears a bit.  

I think the vibration is transmitted to the mirrors directly thru the bolts into the bar weights.  without rubber dampers between the mirror bolts and the bars there is no vibration reduction.

I can't recommend this fix unless you can figure a way to dampen vibration.  I'll update if I solve it better.

Oh well, sorry for the enthusiasm.

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:22:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Installed bar end mirrors & how.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.