Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New S40 ride report (Read 149 times)
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

New S40 ride report
03/17/15 at 20:08:52

Got a chance to ride my new S40 a bit.  I must say I am quite pleased over all.  Trying to break the motor in, so I was riding the back roads home as much as possible to keep the speed down.

Handles gravel no problem at all.  Slush and mud OK to.  Very, very easy bike to drive.  More power than I had expected after reading all the online reviews.  The speedo is out quite a bit however.  The bike indicates 109 K when I am doing 100 K according to the GPS.

A few things to note.  The idle speed from the dealer was set very low, I cranked it up to 1200 rpm.  The belt was set very tight.  I adjusted it of course.

Once it is broke in I will re-jet the carb after installing a Harley Dyna muffler.  I picked up 2 unused Dyna mufflers for $40.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: New S40 ride report
Reply #1 - 03/17/15 at 20:43:36

nice report, pretty much matces my own first impression of the S40

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #2 - 03/17/15 at 21:03:19

Hi Art,

I should have mentioned the gas tank seems a bit wide.  I am not very big, 5'-8", but I would have prefered a narower tank like a early Sportster.

My knees seem jammed up against the tank and I find I have my feet on the outside of the pegs when riding.  Minor stuff I will get used to of course.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/17/15 at 21:03:46

The speedo is out quite a bit however.  The bike indicates 109 K when I am doing 100 K according to the GPS.

The replacement rear tire when the time comes will fix that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 03/17/15 at 21:33:17

Flint wrote on 03/17/15 at 21:03:19:
Hi Art,

I should have mentioned the gas tank seems a bit wide.  I am not very big, 5'-8", but I would have prefered a narower tank like a early Sportster.

My knees seem jammed up against the tank and I find I have my feet on the outside of the pegs when riding.  Minor stuff I will get used to of course.

You must be long legged for your height, I'm 6 feet, and the tank simply isn't a problem for me
and JOG is right, when it's tire replacement time, going to a 130 / 90 or 140/90 will pretty well correct the speedo

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #5 - 03/17/15 at 22:09:42

op.   I would like to know what you used as a tach, to get 1200 rpm.  I want one ?

« Last Edit: 03/18/15 at 03:06:57 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/18/15 at 04:58:30

hotprops wrote on 03/17/15 at 22:09:42:
op.   I would like to know what you used as a tach, to get 1200 rpm.  I want one ?

In the small engine repair field....we use this hand held tach.  You just have to hold it near a spark plug wire.  Not real cheap....but it works well and is worth having if you need to know the rpm of engines without a tach.

http://manddsmallengine.com/tinytach/fast.html

I believe there are also I-phone apps. that listen to the beats and provide the BPM....which can also be used and are lots cheaper.  I was at a music party on Saturday and one fellow had this program on his phone....were were playing at 114 BPM.  For 1,000 rpm you would want 500 BPM as it will hear the exhaust note that happens every 2 revolutions.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Suzukisavvy

You're Droolin,
While I'm Spoolin

Nebraska, USA
Reply #7 - 03/18/15 at 06:52:29

Thats so cool! My bike has had some problems with the carb float but no biggy, fun and easy to replace! I'm 17 and i've been riding with a liscence for 2 years now and with out one for a year! from a 125-650 single, just the right jump i'd say! put around 1200 miles and still getting to learn the bike! Been making some mods to it for my long build but its been great! This bike will work... For now!  Cool

In my creepy robot voice.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/18/15 at 09:13:09

I would deff get that tach if I were a m/c mechanic, but it is a bit pricey just to set up my one tachless bike

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/18/15 at 09:29:23

Art Webb wrote on 03/18/15 at 09:13:09:
I would deff get that tach if I were a m/c mechanic, but it is a bit pricey just to set up my one tachless bike

Yep, I got it for working on Chainsaws.  Stihl lists the rpm the saw should turn at full throttle when you adjust the High speed mixture....it is a bit weird to hold an engine wide open while not cutting and just let it wail away at 12,000 - 14,000 rpm while you fuss with a mixture screw!

You can listen to a few examples on YouTube and hear how the engine should sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QImRxzVz3hg

You can also set it by idling on flat ground...you should be going at about 9 mph in first gear.  (Stop before making any adjustments).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/18/15 at 09:33:20

Just set it up enough to be a bit fast for idling through a busy parking lot..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #11 - 03/18/15 at 09:35:30

If you like having a tach at all times, here's an old link of tachs that will work with our bikes...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221683647

I ended up with something like this from eBay, but I only paid about $40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bikers-Choice-Custom-Mini-Tachometer-Electronic-/1415...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 03/18/15 at 09:40:34

9 mph on flat ground, now that is useful
the louder fourth or fifth beat on the audio metronome throws me off lol

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #13 - 03/18/15 at 21:01:58

hotprops wrote on 03/17/15 at 22:09:42:

It was a tach I bought off Amazon.  You can set it for how many sparks per revolution the motor produces.  It hooks up by wrapping a wire around the sparkplug wire and picks up the induction from the current pulse.  They are very cheap.  Not the best tach for using while driving, too much delay.  OK for setting idle speed.

Most people buy them to use as an hour meter for gen sets ect.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:22:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New S40 ride report

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.