Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cold Temp No Crank - But Not Battery (Read 195 times)
cwtokenman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cold Temp No Crank - But Not Battery
03/17/15 at 17:36:23

I have a 2001 Savage (15K) that I currently use for a "winter beater" bike, which I typically just ride from Nov. thru Feb. here in NE Ohio. It will see 6-7000 miles during those months, and it gets ridden in all of the nasty weather. Twice this season I rode somewhere, and then the engine would not crank when it was time to go. At home, it is stored in an unheated barn, and always starts easily when I want to go somewhere.

First time, I rode it 12 mi, temp was -6F. It sat for maybe 5 minutes before I returned. Hitting the start button resulted only in a relay click. Headlights were bright, even when trying to start it. Pushed it inside the shop for an hour to warm it up, and it fired right up.

Second time, about 4 weeks later (and numerous successful sub -zero starts), I rode it about 2 miles, temp was -10F. It sat for about 3 hours, then again, only relay clicks. Tried to jump it from a truck - just clicks. Pushed it home.  Sad I left for Guatamala the next day, so the bike sat for 2 weeks, with temps mostly 0 to -30F. The day of my return, it warmed up to 5. I gave the bike a try and again, it fired right up. It just sat the whole time, no battery charge or anything, so I would think that weather would have polished off a weak battery. That was back in late Jan, and I have ridden it over 1200 miles since then without incident.

Connections all looked good, but I cleaned them anyway. Bike is basically stock, but I have added a large windshield, Hippo Hands, and heated gloves for winter comfort. The gloves were not accidentally left on either time. I have had occasional trouble with the ignition switch being hard to turn because of salt and road grime, but a good cleaning takes care of that problem.

My only thought is maybe moisture freezes something up, or prevents a contact from being made? But then, I would think any temp below freezing should be a problem. I can't say as I want to troubleshoot a bike out in sub-zero temps, but it works fine otherwise. Hopefully we are done with the below zero stuff for this winter.

Anyone else ever have this problem? Any suggestions as to what the problem might be? I've ridden other Savages throughout the winter, and not had this problem with them. My apologies for the lengthy post.

« Last Edit: 03/17/15 at 18:38:12 by cwtokenman »  
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Cold Temp No Crank - But Not Battery
Reply #1 - 03/17/15 at 18:46:51

bear in mind that I am not well versed in the Savage, but it sounds like your no start is intermittent, even in the cold, and I think the problem could be a bad spot in the starter
next ime it does this try two things
rap the starter housing sharply (NOT voilently) with a medium small hammer
try rolling the bike for ward in gear and release the clutch, like you're trying to push start it, but just enough to move the flywheel / starter gear to a new position, then retry
if either of these work, you may need to service the starter

Now if someone more experienced than me with the savage poo poos this, remember I did offer that grain of salt, though neither of these tests will hurt anything

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/17/15 at 18:52:26

I'd suspect the solenoid.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 03/17/15 at 18:53:18

Will the starter relay click if left in gear with the kickstand down while cranking? Or will it just do nothing?

Maybe try bypassing the kickstand switch. I have a very rare problem with it.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/17/15 at 19:05:49

. Hitting the start button resulted only in a relay click.

So, a spot on the heavy contact is arc burned..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cwtokenman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/17/15 at 19:25:53

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Art - The second time it would not crank, I did try rapping the starter - no change. Also tried to push start it, but with all of the ice, the back wheel just skidded, not to mention tricky to get any speed up, but still wouldn't crank after those efforts either.

Justin - I do have two other Savages, so I could swap the solenoid with one of them. Problem is, I likely won't know if the problem is corrected until next winter. Can a solenoid problem be intermittent like that/affected by temperature? I don't know, but it has started reliably probably 100+ times with the slightly higher temps.

Kris - not sure if I understood you correctly, but just went out and hit the start button with it in gear and kickstand down, both with clutch pulled in and let out. I didn't hear any clicking (but my hearing is not the best), and the interlocks keep it from cranking. If I either put it in neutral, or put the kickstand up, the bike fires right up and runs smooth.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/17/15 at 21:29:40

multiple potential causes.

mechanical-could be cold enough to seize up the starter gear-steel vs. aluminum thermal contraction.

electrical-I don't think it's the safeties, you wouldn't get the 1st click if it was.

relay is more or less sealed but should just be a spring and a magnet.

decomp controller is only semi sealed and we know water has gotten in there before and kicked in the starter in the middle of the night.

I'd put a volt meter on the starter post to see if it were getting juice.
If it is, then it's most likely mechanical.  replace the starter torque limiter washers with really thin ones.  They're pretty thin already.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #7 - 03/18/15 at 03:09:50

cwtokenman wrote on 03/17/15 at 17:36:23:
Connections all looked good, but I cleaned them anyway.

That was my thought, I seem to be finding troubles with connections the root of troubles on many things, my truck, ATV, etc. they look good, look clean, seem tight, etc. But when I clean and reconnect them, things go back to working. I know you did this already, maybe just a word for someone else.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 03/18/15 at 04:03:09

One way to do an easy check, is to wire a light bulb between the positive cable connection on the starter - other end to the ground.  You could just temporarily mount the light anywhere that you can easily see it.

If you hit the starter button and nothing happens - look at the bulb.  If the bulb is not lit the electricity is not going to the starter.  If the bulb is lit and the starter is not moving...then the starter has an issue.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/18/15 at 04:10:29

Art Webb wrote on 03/17/15 at 18:46:51:
Try rolling the bike for ward in gear and release the clutch, like you're trying to push start it, but just enough to move the flywheel / starter gear to a new position.

This won't do anything on the Savage.  The big gear on the crankshaft will freewheel when the engine is moving forward, and the starter gears and starter will not rotate at all.  However - if you move the back backwards then the starter gears and starter will rotate - as the big gear on the crankshaft will engage the one-way clutch.  Some forum members will be upset that I have suggested moving the engine backwards - but it won't hurt anything as the cam chain tensioner is locked into place and will not allow the chain to lose timing....and a little backward bump often happens when the engine is shut down and the piston comes up on the compression stroke...that is why Suzuki had to add the torque limiter in the starter gear.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/18/15 at 07:27:57

If you don't have a '95 or later, or have added the torque limiter to your bike, you risk serious damage backing up your bike in gear.
That said, unless you have a free spinning starter, backing it up probably won't spin it anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 03/18/15 at 07:32:55

Are you wearing heated clothing on these rides?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 03/18/15 at 08:05:38

Serowbot wrote on 03/18/15 at 07:32:55:
Are you wearing heated clothing on these rides?...

Seriously, this is some extreme riding conditions.

In my 20's I would ride down in to the 20 degree range. In my 30's I'd ride into the 30's. In my 40's...well...you do the math...I'm in my 50's now.

No way I'd ever think of riding into this range.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 03/18/15 at 17:37:24

verslagen1 wrote on 03/17/15 at 21:29:40:
electrical-I don't think it's the safeties, you wouldn't get the 1st click if it was.

That's what I was wondering.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cwtokenman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/18/15 at 21:21:53

There have been some excellent suggestions/reasons for my issue, and I have printed them out to keep on record. Again, I thank each of you for taking the time to reply. The only problem now is that I suspect I will have to wait until next winter for it to get cold enough for the problem to recur. If it does, I think the first thing will be as suggested, see if the starter is getting power. That will tell me which direction to proceed. I also did not know about pushing the bike backwards to jog positions of things, so I will definitely keep that in mind also.

Being a mechanical engineer, verslagen1's potential cause of the dissimilar metal contraction rates possibly causing a bind is along the lines of what I suspect, but not sure what to do if that is the cause (some other riders frequently just leave their bikes running during relatively short stops).

Serowbot & Gary - My only heated apparel is a pair of gloves, as my hands are all that ever got cold. Usually I don't turn them on unless it is below freezing. The Hippo Hands are great for keeping the cold wind from having much effect. As far as age, I am a bit north of 60, and have been riding year 'round since I got my first street bike 42 years ago.

2014WW.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:10:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cold Temp No Crank - But Not Battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.