Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Intermittant Electrical (Read 224 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Intermittant Electrical
03/17/15 at 08:38:03

So, after a long winter's sleep I noticed the other day that when I went to take the bike for a ride to work in the wee hours of the morning that the headlight and front signals were flickering on and off, thankfully not much traffic and as I reached forward and pushed/pulled on the wires coming from the throttle side the lights stayed on.

Made a mental note to myself that I should really check that out when I get a chance, but as most those notes to myself go...didn't do it and now it's reared it's ugly head again.

This morning I went to ride to work again and noticed the headlight wasn't even on when I turned the key, so I remembered that note to check the wiring  Angry

I took a second and pushed/pulled on those wires again and where they go under that side of the fuel tank. Low and behold I feel that connector under the tank and the wiring comes unplugged from the harness. I thought to myself that it's almost light and I will have to take the tank off to plug that back in, I wonder if the bike will run with it unplugged...found out it won't. So either at lunch today or sometime tonight I will need to pull the tank to get the wiring plugged back in before I can ride again. I just hope that's the extent of my "intermittent electrical" problem.

Just ranting because it's a beautiful day and my highlight was going to be ridding the bike back and forth to work, but instead I'm stuck in the truck today.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Re: Intermittant Electrical
Reply #1 - 03/17/15 at 08:59:22

I feel you, I'm experiencing the same issue, headlight works when it feels like it, the large black connector is the culprit here also. I'm afraid to fool around with it and make it worse, mine is easily accessible though because after market tank and headlight.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 03/17/15 at 12:11:26

So, I'm a little more than bummed to find this out...I took off the tank at lunch to reattach the plug that had come loose and the headlight didn't come on. If I bent the wires leading into the plug from the handlebar side it would come on, but I wasn't able to identify a single wire/connection that was causing the problem.

Here is the plug that I'm talking about...I rolled back the rubber grommet that covers most the plug to try and see what wires are in there.

Then the 2 pages of the wiring diagram from the Clymer...
The 10 wires leading into the plug appear to be from this image (none of them are related to the headlight though  Undecided)
Any suggestions on where to go from here? I'm pretty sure it must be on of these wires, but it's not clear to me which.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/17/15 at 12:44:34

Well....what are the chances that the problem is really in the harness on the other side?   That left harness has more of the headlight, turn signal and horn stuff in it.  Any chance that you are also wiggling the wires on the other harness while you are fussing around with the connector on the right?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 03/17/15 at 13:42:10

Dave wrote on 03/17/15 at 12:44:34:
Well....what are the chances that the problem is really in the harness on the other side?   That left harness has more of the headlight, turn signal and horn stuff in it.  Any chance that you are also wiggling the wires on the other harness while you are fussing around with the connector on the right?

Not very likely...I was actually unplugging this harness plug and plugging it back in as the lights came off & on
(This is all with the plug on the right hand side of the bike if you are sitting on it facing forward)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/17/15 at 13:55:49

Well I have stared at it for a bit....and the only thing I can see on that side of the bike that would affect what is happening is the "engine stop switch"....it is tied into the side stand diode and side stand relay and may kill everything when the switch does not complete the circuit.

Check the wires associated with the engine stop switch.  The orange wires with dots.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 03/17/15 at 14:09:32

EJID:

I had the same problem with mine and then one day the headlight would not come on at all.  I used to play with the wires that go to the connector at you took the picture of.  Take a look at the metal inside each side of the plugs.  Two of mine were visibly corroded.  I had to cut and splice 3 wires around the plug.  I can go look and tell you which ones, if you are interested.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 03/17/15 at 15:42:17

pgambr:
I did happen to look towards the inside of each connector and I do recall at least 1 prong & corresponding slot looked darker/possibly corroded a bit. The others all looked good to me.

Dave:
Just by how I was having to pinch/bend the wires to get things to light up, it seemed like one of the top 2 wires might have been a possible culprit and it looks like one of those in the picture is orange.

Just by chance that orange one on the end might be the same one that looked darker from the inside of the plug too...you two might have come to the same conclusion. As soon as I can really tear into that I will update again. Thanks for the insight guys.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #8 - 03/17/15 at 19:48:33

This happened to me. I went through all the harness checks - same thing - intermittent power - no pattern to what was causing it. It would work fine, then stop. Turned out to be a dirty battery connection.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 03/18/15 at 14:29:48

(Sorry about the HUGE pics, uploaded them differently and didn't realize they kept the huge size from my phone)

Definitely appears to be the orange wire with the red stripe. I can push/pull on it when plugged in and the lights go on/off. Is there a way to pull the wire from the plug without ruining the plug? Its the top right plug as you look down the "barrel" of the plug.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 03/18/15 at 14:38:05

Some of those connectors really look corroded.

Yes, you can remove the wire and connector.

The connector has a small tab, and when it is pushed in from the backside the tab clips into a small slot and locks it in place.  You have to insert something small into the backside to release that clip.  The connector will have a small groove on one side where the clip goes...insert a paper clip, small wire, small screwdriver into that slot and see if you can get the connector to release.

It may not be real easy the first time - but once you get it figured out it will go faster the second time!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 03/18/15 at 15:48:29

EJID:

I'll briefly describe how I fixed mine.  With one hand I held the connector in a steady manner.  With the other hand I gently tried to pluck one wire at at time.  I knew I had 1 or 2 wires that weren't working properly.  I cut, spliced, and heat-wrapped one wire at a time.  Then I would hold the connector and start testing s again.  I ended up splicing 3 wires.  It's just what worked for me.  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/19/15 at 11:06:28

OH...I forgot the most important part!

You need to insert the pin, paperclip...or screwdriver on the side facing away from the wire end.  That will allow the clip to release so the connector can slide out the side the wire is on.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 03/20/15 at 08:02:09

Dave wrote on 03/18/15 at 14:38:05:
Some of those connectors really look corroded.

Yes, you can remove the wire and connector.

The connector has a small tab, and when it is pushed in from the backside the tab clips into a small slot and locks it in place.  You have to insert something small into the backside to release that clip.  The connector will have a small groove on one side where the clip goes...insert a paper clip, small wire, small screwdriver into that slot and see if you can get the connector to release.

It may not be real easy the first time - but once you get it figured out it will go faster the second time!

Dave, thanks for the insight on how to remove the pin.

Actually I don't think they looked very corroded. What I think you are seeing is the dielectric grease that I smeared on the connections in one of my last ditch attempts to make sure things slid together smoothly and hopefully had a good connection without having to remove/splice the wiring.

pgambr, I'm hoping that it's only this one wire. I used to cut & solder lots of wiring in my high school days when I was replacing/swapping one or another stereo components in my vehicles or my friends vehicles on a regular basis, but those joints were not as nice & clean as I insist on them being anymore. (tidiness takes time)

If I get a chance this afternoon I will be working on this.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #14 - 04/06/15 at 12:44:50

So, I finally had more than 5 minutes to look at this and try to fix it, but was unsuccessful  Embarrassed

DAVE: You said that you need to push a thin item like a paperclip or small screwdriver in the backside to release the connector.

Looking at the connector in this picture, I tried several different ways of pushing a stiff paperclip & also a small jeweler's screwdriver from the right side/along the wire trying to release such a clip. Am I just getting too frustrated with it, or am I trying to do something wrong? Any other suggestions?

Even though it snowed here again today, it's supposed to be nice weather later this week and I would like to start riding on a regular basis again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:19:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intermittant Electrical

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.