Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Intermittant Electrical (Read 224 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Intermittant Electrical
Reply #15 - 04/06/15 at 12:53:39

I have not taken this particular connector apart before....so I can't tell you exactly how it works.

Most likely it is something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xIEpYNTHFk

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #16 - 04/06/15 at 14:04:27

I can't remember exactly how I took it apart.  I think it works like you think it might.  Just, a lot of persuasion and a strong screw driver.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #17 - 04/06/15 at 15:28:34

I did actually try going at it from either direction and even trying other wires in the connector in case my angle was just not working, but all not no avail. I will try again, but maybe after some amber fluid aim straightener  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #18 - 04/06/15 at 16:28:48

I find that one of those steel strips from a wiper blade is just about perfect for popping the retaining clip to allow wires to come out of the connectors.  It's about 1/8 wide and around .030 thick.  Slips in easily. Push until it hits the back, pull out wire.  Easy.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 04/06/15 at 23:05:35

Big sewing needle inserted into the clip, not along the wire. Works every time.

And how many years have I been telling people to dielectric grease ALL wire connections, zip tie the thing together, and then heat shrink or wrap in old time fabric friction tape... Savages hate water with a passion. A heavy dew can destroy the entire system.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #20 - 04/13/15 at 06:58:59

After letting it sit a couple days (didn't have time to try again after the frustration last time) I tried again to put a VERY small flat screwdriver (jeweler's size) into the plug end of the connector and pulled gently on the wire. Viola, the wire & connector end slipped out easily. Here are a few pics of the end in case anyone else needs to see what they are working with...

Now I just need to cut the last 1.5" or so off and splice in a new piece to put it back together.  Smiley Thanks for the help guys.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 04/13/15 at 07:32:44

Is the wire broken internally.....or the connector just not making a reliable connection for some reason?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #22 - 04/13/15 at 08:29:20

The wire feels too flexible right behind my fingers in that pic, so I'm pretty sure it must be broken. I couldn't see any reason why the connection in the bracket was not secure. Before I tore it down, I was able to get the headlight to light up by moving this wire back and forth.

On a side note, I plugged in the main black connector while the Orange/Red Stripe wire was pulled out and the bike would start, just without the headlight, so that makes me wonder about my first post and why the bike wouldn't start.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:22:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intermittant Electrical

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.