Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Who likes Raspberry Pi (Read 89 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Who likes Raspberry Pi
03/16/15 at 08:26:14

I think I am kinda late to the single board computer game but hey better late then never. I recently discovered the raspberry pi (and others of course) and have a whole slew of ideas for using them. Anyone on here had any good projects or ideas for using raspberry pi?

If you want to learn more look here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Re: Who likes Raspberry Pi
Reply #1 - 03/16/15 at 14:10:37

Check out this post, It's "old" now, but not too old.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1423997087

I think it would be badass to ultimately end up creating a "carputer" out of either a Raspberry Pi or an Android tablet....or...BOTH!

I want to get a bunch of emulators and load them onto either a raspberry pi or cheap android tablet. I also want to make a carputer for my old 89 civic.

I know I could turn a cheap tablet into a free gps, wifi internet browser, audio controller, and possibly a use it as a speedometer and engine RPM display.

I'm sure the Pi could do it as well, it's just a question of what's more practical for me and requires less work.

Really I think it would be cool to set up the tablet and Pi utilizing either one. Like, have the fully functional tablet, but figure out a way to double it as a auxiliary screen for the pi. To be able to switch between either "system"

Pi does have touch screen available already.

I'll keep ya posted on what I end up doing.

Check out those projects I shared in that last post, pretty neat if you ask me.  Smiley

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 03/17/15 at 07:36:22

I never bought one.. though I have watched a bunch of videos on them.

There is a new version that is suppose to be more powerful, and thus more useful. The original, worked but was often too slow to be useful (common thought).

I like the projects they have already been put to:
Bitcoin miner
Folding (folding proteins in support of cancer research)
Web server
NAS (hard drive server)
Media player

Projects That I think would be cheap and cool:
indoor plant watering ( probably best with Arduio)
Solar controller

IP Logged
ConradSch
YaBB Newbies

Let's get this thing
going!

Calgary, Ab, Canada
Reply #3 - 03/18/15 at 10:11:07

I always found this one interesting.    Raspberry PI and projector = a pedal bike lamp that projects your speed.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/matt-richardson-and-the-worlds-smartest-bike-light/

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #4 - 03/18/15 at 12:52:56

I'm intrigued with Bitcoin Mining. I think I may end up setting one up to do just that. I ordered a USB ASIC 2.2GH/s miner earlier today for $30. I wanna try out mining first, and if I enjoy it, I may end up investing in some more hardware and use a Raspberry Pi to mine.

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
ConradSch
YaBB Newbies

Let's get this thing
going!

Calgary, Ab, Canada
Reply #5 - 03/19/15 at 14:56:59

Is it possible to make money mining Bit Coins?   I've been told that the expense in electricity makes it not worthwhile..?

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #6 - 03/20/15 at 08:48:08

ConradSch wrote on 03/19/15 at 14:56:59:
Is it possible to make money mining Bit Coins?   I've been told that the expense in electricity makes it not worthwhile..?

Well...I haven't done it yet so I can't speak from experience, but based on what I've read, it's possible...electrical cost is a factor. Biggest thing is, the faster machines you have, the MORE money you can make. If your machines are fast enough you can out weigh the cost of electricity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELA91d_mx80

That guy said he makes millions in USD worth of bitcoin a month. So when you mine, you "compete" with guys like him.

If you join a pool (sounds like the most practical option) you and a bunch of other people work together to compete against the giant mining operations, and then you get a small cut of the earnings dependent on whatever amount of computing power you contributed.

I'm hoping to make like a couple bucks a day whenever I find a pool to join. I probably won't make much money at first, I just wanna test the waters and see if it's something that interests me.

Of course, running it off a raspberry pi is way more efficient than running it on a big computer. It all depends on what your power source is sucking out of the wall.

Wink
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 03/20/15 at 08:58:05

You won't get rich, thats for sure. Make money.. is anyones guess. There are SEVERAL metrics at work.

I did LiteCoin mining, had fun learned a bit, and even made a small profit that I 100% just sunk back into other commodities. So no .. i did not increase my dollars.

Bitcoin mining.. now pretty much is limited to ASIC mining devices. These can only do ONE THING.. mine BITCOINS.. unlike when they used GPU cards. Part of my whole plan was to upgrade my old AMD 6850 to something better . Now I have two 7850's  and yes that is MUCH better!

Back to money...
you have to buy the equipment, which now has no value other than to mine
eletricity to run the PC, and the mining device (up to 300Wats per hour)
Electricity to then COOl the house as they can generate a lot of heat
wear and tear on the PC running the devices..
contrast that with the fact that the entire BITCOIN system is designed to pay LESS over time and to require MORE resourses over time.

In the mean time I use my system to provide processing power for cancer research. (Goggle Folding@home)

There are other ideas comming soon:
http://maidsafe.net/
http://storj.io/

both of these take the idea of P2P processing and transpose that for P2P data storage. Both have offered thier own digital currency, and allow for computer hobbistist to "profit" from offering their resources on the internet.

Good luck and have fun with it.

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #8 - 03/20/15 at 12:00:45

Pine wrote on 03/20/15 at 08:58:05:
You won't get rich, thats for sure. Make money.. is anyones guess. There are SEVERAL metrics at work.

I did LiteCoin mining, had fun learned a bit, and even made a small profit that I 100% just sunk back into other commodities. So no .. i did not increase my dollars.

Bitcoin mining.. now pretty much is limited to ASIC mining devices. These can only do ONE THING.. mine BITCOINS.. unlike when they used GPU cards. Part of my whole plan was to upgrade my old AMD 6850 to something better . Now I have two 7850's  and yes that is MUCH better!

Back to money...
you have to buy the equipment, which now has no value other than to mine
eletricity to run the PC, and the mining device (up to 300Wats per hour)
Electricity to then COOl the house as they can generate a lot of heat
wear and tear on the PC running the devices..
contrast that with the fact that the entire BITCOIN system is designed to pay LESS over time and to require MORE resourses over time.

In the mean time I use my system to provide processing power for cancer research. (Goggle Folding@home)

There are other ideas comming soon:
http://maidsafe.net/
http://storj.io/

both of these take the idea of P2P processing and transpose that for P2P data storage. Both have offered thier own digital currency, and allow for computer hobbistist to "profit" from offering their resources on the internet.

Good luck and have fun with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, all this stuff is really cool. I'm hoping the little "experimenting" I'm gonna do with bitcoin will be more valuable as a learning experience than as monetary value.

I personally see it as a way of the future...maybe not specifically with bitcoin due to the fact the ledger keeps growing in size. Kinda like you said, it will only demand more resources for less return.

But some sort of decentralized cryptocurrency system is what I'm sure we will eventually switch to.

Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:40:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Who likes Raspberry Pi

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.