Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New tire, big difference! (Read 251 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: New tire, big difference!
Reply #15 - 03/16/15 at 03:44:43

Here is a rim width chart for motorcycle tires.

The rear rim is 2.75 inches wide.

The stock 140/80 and replacement 140/90 tires are acceptable on the stock rim - but are really the correct size on a 3.50 rim....so the beads are squeezed in 3/4" more than is desirable.

The 130/90 tire is actually a better fit of the rim on our bike, and most likely will handle better.

http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Motorcycle_Rim_Width_Tire_Size_Chart.pdf

The extra weight will most likely affect your acceleration a bit.  Not only do you have to accelerate the tire weight linearly down the road with you - you will also have to accelerate it rotationally.  The extra weight increased the flywheel affect, and it will be harder to increase of decrease the speed a bit.  Probably not a big deal....but I suspect you will feel it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #16 - 03/16/15 at 18:44:48

I've become interested in this discussion. At the moment I'm very happy with my Michelien  Commander 140/90 15 rear and Michelein Pilot Activ front. When I replace what advantages are going to a 130/90 rear? I spoke to a tyre shop here and they seemed to think it would make the bike nimbler in handling. The 130/90 sold near me is a Kenda.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #17 - 03/16/15 at 23:30:12

My mistake was in ignoring the weight of the mounted tire. The original tire/wheel weighed 27lbs, the new Kenda 140/90 is 33 lbs. That's an extra 6 lbs below the springs.  Any suspension/hotrodder/sportscar guru would cringe at adding unsprung weight. More weight means less HP to fling you down the road. Also, a fatter profile is less nimble around corners etc.
I won't make this mistake again!!! Angry

The only potential saving grace here is that the Kenda has a very obvious triangular profile, much like the old Dunlop 'triangulars' popular in Hailwood's/Agostini's day.

Buy the 130/90!
ps: norton commandos use a 100/90 rear!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #18 - 03/17/15 at 00:15:38

I'll keep this in mind for when the Michelin wears out.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 03/17/15 at 03:08:14

The large rear tires are a fashion statement on a Cruiser in some respect -  however they might offer a bit better ride on a bike with limited suspension travel, the larger profile helps make the bike a bit more stable in a straight line, and the added rubber might help with tire mileage.

We have become used to seeing the big rear tires on Cruisers.....and now if you mount a narrow tire for handling - it somehow looks just a bit too skinny.  I am currently running 18" rims on my bike and I have a 90/90 on the front and a 110/80 on the rear....and it is plenty of tire for the weight and HP of the bike and is proper looking for the Cafe' style bike (it would look goofy on a cruiser).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #20 - 03/17/15 at 18:21:14

Thank you Zipi and Dave, appearances don't concern me but an improvement in handling would, however, I value Dave's comments about straight line stability and comfort. All makes food for thought and also I would have to consider speedo accuracy. It will be some time before my rear tyre wears out.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 03/17/15 at 18:34:28

by which time you will have adjusted to the 140 / 90 and you will be very pleased when you go the other way  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:30:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New tire, big difference!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.