Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacing the steering lock. (Read 129 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Replacing the steering lock.
03/13/15 at 07:47:01

Not sure which owner before me but at some point the lock was drilling out. The guts are still there as well as the flap but it is inoperable. Tried to do a little research through Google and didn't find much. I use a krypto lock on the caliper when I'm out finding around and going to be parked for a while because it's easy to carry and at home I have a chain deal I run thru the wheel and down tube so I can sleep at night. I know it's not much of a deterant but it's a small bit of piece of mind knowing the head is locked.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Replacing the steering lock.
Reply #1 - 03/13/15 at 08:06:26

Stick with the chain and disc lock... a thief can disable a fork lock in less than 10 seconds... easily...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVtKYBt5Q0

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #2 - 03/13/15 at 10:17:29

which locks fits our S40 brake?? the disc has no holes for the usual ones?  any ideas on where to hitch it on the bike while riding if you don't have saddlebags?

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/13/15 at 11:53:27

wakosama wrote on 03/13/15 at 10:17:29:
which locks fits our S40 brake?? the disc has no holes for the usual ones?  any ideas on where to hitch it on the bike while riding if you don't have saddlebags?  

disk locks usually go completely over the braking surface to the gaps in the center of the disk.

WWW   IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #4 - 03/13/15 at 17:28:37

I would suggest, (If you are in a area/neighborhood that you need to lock up).  instead of locking the bike only.
(2 people can just throw this in the back of a PU or Trailer, locked to itself or not)
Lock the bike, TO, something.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 03/13/15 at 18:38:42

By all means use your lock and chain, you can take a little comfort in knowing, the S40 is about the least stolen bike in America, or so someone here posted a while ago.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/13/15 at 19:14:35

(People steal to sell parts..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/14/15 at 03:25:19

I just bought an S40 parts bike that was a theft recovery.....so I have discovered that at least one Savage has been stolen in Ohio.  It was a 2001...no idea of mileage as the tank and speedo were gone.  There is no key for the ignition - and the fork lock has been drilled out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #8 - 03/14/15 at 08:35:33

When at home it goes in the garage with the disc lock on it. My concern was more for stop and go errands. And I'd just like to have a working head lock. I also have a chain system I use at times because I've had a bike stolen so I know the feeling. Walked out of the mall and it was gone.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/14/15 at 09:25:01

I can't count the times I've left my keys hanging in the ignition in a parking lot... Scary feeling, but it was always there..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 03/14/15 at 17:53:57

Sometimes I think the more you try to prevent it from being stolen, the more attractive it is to the thieves.

Guess they figure if you don't care, it's not worth them stealing it unless they know for sure that they will get a lot out of the parts. (read chrome Harley)

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 03/15/15 at 06:49:08

With the popularity, or lack thereof, of the LS650/S40, you could leave the keys in the ignition and put a sign on the bike saying "FREE!" and it would probably still be there!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/15/15 at 09:45:55

Back when the first 900 Kawasaki came out, I worked at a Kawasaki dealer part time - I would go there after high school weekdays and on Saturday. I took bikes out of the crates and assembled them, put in fluids, test rode them (cool job for a high school kid....the Z1 and H1 bikes were hot!).

One the first bikes we sold went to a fellow that took that wonderful metallic brown paint, and sprayed over it with black primer.  He wanted a nice bike to ride...not one that got attention and looked like it was worth stealing.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:28:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacing the steering lock.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.