Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Getting back on the horse (Read 219 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Getting back on the horse
Reply #15 - 03/14/15 at 15:53:05

3500 miles on it? it's not even broken in yet and still needs the 4000 mile head bolt retorque which most of us don't even do because it is not needed.
 Get a compression test from somebody else just to see what it says. The big single is pretty tough even in the heat of Texas. Give the engine a good cleaning using some Gunk or another degreaser and track down where the oil leak is coming from.
3-4 head gaskets per year on Savages in Texas at one dealership, humm doesn't sound right to me. I'm the only one who wrenches on my bike, learned the hard way not to trust most mechanics (monkeys with hammers)

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #16 - 03/14/15 at 20:03:02

It was already too late to stop him by the time I posted.  He called the next day and said it was ready.  I picked it up today.  It does sound different.  Quieter.  Less sibilant. Like an air leak is gone.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 03/14/15 at 20:26:40

Naturally he handed over the old bad gasket.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #18 - 03/14/15 at 20:37:14

IhasA & Justin

I too am losing faith in most of the dealers here in Texas.

My S40 was delivered right after Thanksgiving, it is a brand new 2013 leftover. Every time I work on the bike I find something wrong or missing.

Today I serviced the battery. The dealer promised me that the battery would be serviced before the bike was delivered.

When I took the chrome cover off of the battery compartment the first thing I noticed was the tool kit is missing, along with the molding around the tool holder, etc.

When I examined the battery I couldn't find any fluid in it and the battery was manufactured in Reading, Pennsylvania? What? I did fill the cells with distilled water and shook it a lot and then put on the Battery Tender overnight.

I will order the missing parts from Ron Ayres, but I think I am going to skip the tool kit.

Kenny G    Embarrassed

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 03/14/15 at 20:45:03

Has, what did he charge?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #20 - 03/15/15 at 16:41:01

505.  145 for parts and 360 for labor.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #21 - 03/15/15 at 17:17:02

I am sure thankful that I found this forum.

I can no longer afford to have a motorcycle repaired at the rates I see charged, and the help on this forum will get me through any fixin' that I need to do.

Thanks A Lot Guys!

Suzuki parts have to be the most expensive of the Big 4. So far I have been able to get everything I need from Ron Ayers and their prices are a little lower than most places that I have checked.

Kenny G    Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 03/15/15 at 17:26:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/14/15 at 20:26:40:
Naturally he handed over the old bad gasket.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #23 - 03/15/15 at 17:37:08

ihasabike wrote on 03/15/15 at 16:41:01:
505.  145 for parts and 360 for labor.

$145 for what?  I'm guessing 4 * 90 for the labor?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #24 - 03/15/15 at 21:05:13

First, tires and inflation make a big difference in handling. I got to ride three miles of "stripped" asphalt last year where the big road eating machine leaves grooves. They even put up signs showing a mc picture and "Grooved Pavement". It was a rural 4 lane with plowed fields on either side, so no deer surprises. Around 6 PM with little traffic and I was in the groove. Used orange cones as slolam markers at about 50-55 mph. I run Metzeler ME 880 Marathons at 38-40 Lbs. They are very good, imo. But someone mentioned the death grip. I agree whole heartedly with that. Locked elbows just let the bike wander around under a rigid rider and cannot find its happy place that is dictated by physics.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:24:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting back on the horse

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.