Send Topic Print
starter stress. (Read 93 times)
Toom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

starter stress.
03/12/15 at 08:30:59

Hey hoping one of the resident guru's can stop me taking a wrecking bar to la savage.

Basically switched the indicators for neat leds got it all working great. Put her back together and went to start.  Nothing.

Thought it was battery so gave it a full charge.

Nothing. Checked fuses and 20w relay fuse blew. So replaced this hit starter and boom fuse went again. Tested the bike with a bump and started with minimal effort.

Im thinking the front solenoid may be on the fritz? Any suggestions please? Tearing my hair out!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: starter stress.
Reply #1 - 03/12/15 at 08:39:15

When something goes bad, after something you did... it's usually something you did...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 03/12/15 at 09:19:08

Serowbot wrote on 03/12/15 at 08:39:15:
When something goes bad, after something you did... it's usually something you did...
Huh...

Sage advice right there.

If you replaced the neutral indicator with an LED you may have created an open circuit in the side stand safety.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/12/15 at 09:49:41

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/12/15 at 09:19:08:
If you replaced the neutral indicator with an LED you may have created an open circuit in the side stand safety.

That wouldn't blow a fuse though.

so you can push start it, that eliminates normally on wiring.
press the starter button and you blow a fuse.

so you were working on the tank indicator lights (?)
you'd need to remove the tank for that
not uncommon to pinch a wire while installing the tank

starter wire goes from the button, to the decomp controller to the relay.

WWW   IP Logged
Toom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/12/15 at 09:53:02

I'm practically 100% it's not related to the indicators,  the side stand safety switch is disabled.  The issue appears to be it seems at least that my electric starter is just gone. Initially when you hit the starter the 20w relay fuse went. Now having examined the switch it seems the switch is simply not functioning.  

The bike starts with a 10 foot run up to bump in second but that's clearly not ideal. Going to try replacing this starter switch and work back from there.

As an extra precaution I removed the lights wholesale before checking the bike again. The starter has long been iffy. I replaced the motor about 3 months ago but lately the switch had seemed to be getting sketchy. Just frustrating that one thing after another seems to need replacing!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/12/15 at 10:42:03

Now you've put details out there. Just relax and wait for the cavalry.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Toom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/12/15 at 12:14:53

Further update. The starter switch had had it, so I have stripped the wires and can fit them to a replacement switch (or in the mean time bridge them to test it) but it still doesn't even turn the starter motor,  I've checked the relay next to the solenoid and that looks quite rusty so I'm going to switch that out tomorrow.  

I've spent a small fortune getting her here and every few weeks something else is spanning out so slowly reaching the end of my tether with her, ideally this bike was due to be passed on to the Mrs for her first bike but I'm getting to the point where I can't in good faith throw good money after bad again.

I hope I'm on the right track and switching the relay out will get it working if so I can clean up the wiring and fit a new switch somewhere to act as a starter switch. It won't be original but function over form tbh!

IP Logged
Toom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/13/15 at 15:40:59

So tracked down the issue,  the solenoid was kaput, managed to replace the solenoid and right hand switch gear for 45 quid from the breakers. No clue if that's good or bad but it works. Only ongoing gripe now is my rear light bulb seems to have gone but that's an issue for another day!

IP Logged
mogman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC USA
Reply #8 - 03/13/15 at 19:20:58

Glad you found the problems and not the wife.....  that is a very good thing Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:31:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › starter stress.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.