Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RYCA bobber exhaust alternative? (Read 169 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
RYCA bobber exhaust alternative?
03/12/15 at 07:34:58

I've looked thru the build threads and such to see if anyone who has built a hardtail bobber has do e anything different with the exhaust from what RYCA offers for their RR 1 bobber kits. I love the way it sounds but I like my pants not burned a bit more. I recently wrapped the setup better and that helped a bit but the positioning doesn't change the fact that with my leg down the underside of my pants still rests on the exhaust. I have some fab abilities and have looked into the DIY exhaust kits from TC Brothers and companies similar that sell kits of multiple bend pipe you cut and weld yourself.

My issue is the hardtail kit eliminates the path of the stock exhaust. So their fix is a mid engine placed setup that runs right under your leg and I mean directly under it. 2 issues present itself from this design. Obviously the heat against leg. The other flaw is the hot exhaust gas basically exits directly against the upper tubing for the hardtail and it has melted and distorted the paint on the tube.

My plan as of now is to try and come off the RYCA header flow back and as it passes over the clutch cover turn down the natural curve of the clutch cover. At that point exiting with a bias cut. Should have the same length as the current setup all I need to figure out is enough straight length of pipe after the header bends around to insert a baffle of some sort.

image_219.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: RYCA bobber exhaust alternative?
Reply #1 - 03/12/15 at 08:34:09

How about a bend at the point you mention, following the angle of the top frame?...
That would add about 8" or so to put a baffle... Undecided...

Also... how 'bout a heat shield?... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #2 - 03/12/15 at 09:52:35

Serowbot it's not so much the front section that heats me up it's the cone. As far as I know can't get a shield for that. I have re-wrapped it and gone back to nearly the end of the cone so it's not as bad now. Just dealing with smoking stinking exhaust wrap until it cures. I can manage 8" from the header turn to where I wanna turn down the clutch cover and I'll put a baffle in that section. Just gotta get the DIY pipe kit and have a to at it.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
TNelsonFLA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #3 - 03/23/15 at 14:48:41

Nice ride Rylee, that is the basic idea I want to go for for my build. I also had a concern about that exhaust pipe and was thinking of doing similar to what you've done and wrap, but heard of some negatives to that also.  Maybe look for alternative header pipes out there.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 03/25/15 at 04:47:04

Still have your stock head pipe? Put it on, trim it back a few inches to get rid of the original muffler slip on restriction. Buy some flexible exhaust tubing, make your bend to fit the frame swell, add straight tubing and a big baffle.

When in doubt, look at a Panhead, Knucklehead, UL, VL, WL, Chief (rigid or plunger era), Scout or other factory rigid frame bike for routing ideas.

Mid or high rise pipes were bad enough on Scramblers and dirt bikes that need the ground clearance. If you don't need the extra lean angle on the pavement, stick with a low mount pipe.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #5 - 03/25/15 at 19:21:03

@WD I purchased the bike while in the build process so the stock exhaust had already been swapped out and the new system installed. Below is a picture of what I'd like to do minus the second pipe. The right side pipe setup is exactly what I'm shooting for. I think I'm gonna order a few varying lengths of baffle and just experiment until I find the right setup.

image_226.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 14:29:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RYCA bobber exhaust alternative?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.