prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
It's the little things
03/12/15 at 03:08:52

After a brutal eastern North Carolina winter, hey it was couple of weeks since I could ride. That was brutal. Anyway.

I noticed a little wiggle or shimmy in the front end of the bike at speed. I checked the air in the tires, the front was way low. Aired them both up and the shimmy went away. Don't be dumb like me, check the little things before they can become big things.

Not a question, just an observation, a suggestion, a reminder. And let's be careful out there.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: It's the little things
Reply #1 - 03/12/15 at 06:37:04

Get a gauge, get the tires aired up, get a good,solid stick, like a hammer handle, slap the tires, listen,  learn how it sounds when it's aired up..
Lots quicker and easier than the gauge.. not exact, but beats riding a flat.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/12/15 at 06:50:41

Last night on the way home form work....I actually had to turn my vents on in the car and blow some air at me.  I looked at my dash - it said 68 degrees outside! Woo Hoo!

Just before I got home I saw a 73 year old neighbor pulling out of his driveway on his Volusia.  When I got home I pushed the Ninja outside, put on my jacket, helmet..and was sliding on my gloves when I glanced at my tires......3 months of winter storage.....will the tires be OK?  I chanced it and had a very short ride around the country roads for 15 minutes - and in retrospect I should have checked the tires at the same time I was checking the oil and gas.  I was just too darn anxious to get on the bike for a bit!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/12/15 at 07:06:15

Good reminder. Did the full TCLOCKS on the Wing Tuesday night as well as firing it up to check the alternator. As a note, you need a telescoping mirror to check the brake lights on a GL1500. Good thing I owned two Suzuki bikes so I had one that I used to check the oil.

Took the bike out for a two hour run yesterday, dodging the new pot holes.

And I also checked with the dealer. The new big single is still about a week away.

Good Hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/12/15 at 07:21:38

I had to look up TCLOCKS to see what it was.

http://www.ridebellchain.com/tclocks.html

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #5 - 03/12/15 at 10:23:17

I have been stuck with low tires ever since I moved to North Texas. Our temperatures vary from17 degrees in the winter to the mid 80s. And then summer comes in with temps over 110 degrees.

So my wife bought me a small Porter Cable air compressor from Amazon for my birthday in February. Every time I check the tires they need air and I am sure I do not have slow leaks in both tires.

I feel a whole lot safer with properly inflated tires.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:23:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It's the little things

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.