Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idle A/F screw backing out by itself (Read 112 times)
jimthecanoeist
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Idle A/F screw backing out by itself
03/11/15 at 15:06:19

OK I did my searches and scanning but apologies if this is already answered.  On my ride today the idle kept decreasing and the engine getting 'rougher'.  I kept turning up the throttle stop screw to keep it running.  My A/F screw was set at 2 turns from lightly seated a few days ago.  When I got home from the ride it was at least 10 turns out (but not lost on the street thank goodness).  Removing the screw I was struck by how lightly it turned.  I was expecting some sort of internal spring under it to keep its threads under tension.  Nope, there is just a washer and an O-ring on the shaft just behind the threaded part.  Is this screw-coming-out phenomenon something well known?  Is there a fix?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Idle A/F screw backing out by itself
Reply #1 - 03/11/15 at 15:22:17

There should be a spring in there too.

it may be that due to some cleaners, your o-ring may became mushy too.
shouldn't be gummy soft, just a typical rubber o-ring.

WWW   IP Logged
jimthecanoeist
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/11/15 at 16:45:52

That was fast and thank you very much.  O-ring looks fine but no spring in there (I can chalk this one up to "the prior owner").  I guess I will take a second look, do some measuring and go find a spring to engineer).  This is where I wish for a buddy with the same bike.  It would be so easy to note his setting and then pull out his adjuster to see what's behind there.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/11/15 at 18:42:41

Look at ball point pen springs.. or call Suzuki,, what could they charge?
The local hardware store has springs..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/11/15 at 19:06:10

SPRING
13271-93011
$2.74

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 03/11/15 at 19:40:33

Bingo..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/12/15 at 03:22:26

Whenever you need to know what you are missing or how things go together....go online and look at a parts diagram.

Look at # 41, 42, 43, 44.....you are missing # 42.....the springy thingy.

http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432120&catego...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jimthecanoeist
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/12/15 at 11:21:31

Thanks to all.  This is a definite "prior owner" fubar.  When I took out the screw there was only the washer and O-ring on it.  I can see no other explanation except the spring got lost by a prior 'mechanic' and put back without.  Months of pain for the current owner (my daughter) who was told about the backfiring - "It is set up for California".
Thank you for the part number and exploded view diagram.  I have it bookmarked.  Totally knocked out with the response and knowledge here.

IP Logged
jimthecanoeist
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/14/15 at 11:14:11

modified the lightest ballpoint spring around the house and used to temp assemble while waiting for new spring and O-ring from HSK.  No more idle screw backing off but will put in proper spring later.  BTW, I hear this referred to as an air screw.  Isn't it really adjusting the fuel metering?  No big deal but getting my head around backing it out = richer?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 03/14/15 at 17:50:41

Yes, it is a fuel metering screw.  It allows you to fine tune the amount of fuel the pilot circuit supplies to the engine. The idle speed screw on the side of the carb that actuates the butterfly is what regulates the amount of air.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 03/14/15 at 18:19:12

I never tried the pen spring, never had a problem with mine,,, glad you won that.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/16/15 at 03:31:05

jimthecanoeist wrote on 03/14/15 at 11:14:11:
 BTW, I hear this referred to as an air screw.  Isn't it really adjusting the fuel metering?  No big deal but getting my head around backing it out = richer?

The stock carb on your bike has a "fuel" screw for the idle mixture.  The fuel passes through the pilot jet (with no bleed holes) and is mixed with some air in the carb body, then the fuel mixture screw adjusts how much of that flow goes to the engine.....the fuel screw is on the engine cylinder side of the carb body.  Turning the screw out increases fuel flow and makes the engine richer - beyond 3 turns the flow is maximum and it is time to install a larger pilot jet and start the mixture adjustment over again.

The Mikuni VM Round slide that some of us install as a replacement crab has an "air" screw.  The fuel passes through the bottom of the pilot jet, and the air enters the sides of the pilot jets through the bleed holes.  The air mixture screw controls how much air goes into the bleed holes, and turning the screw out makes the mixture leaner....the idle air screw is located on the air cleaner side of the carb body.  The ideal setting is about 1.5 turns out...more than that and you need a leaner jet.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:27:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle A/F screw backing out by itself

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.