Send Topic Print
turbo anyone? (Read 192 times)
jordan650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

turbo anyone?
03/11/15 at 06:34:38

im very interested in putting a turbo on my 96' 650. has anyone done this or have any information on it? Would I have to do other performance upgrades to do this or could it be just a expensive bolt on piece?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: turbo anyone?
Reply #1 - 03/11/15 at 08:05:17

A turbo on an air cooled motorcycle...not a good idea...but it's been done. The problem with a turbo on an air cooled engine is there isn't enough oil capacity to cool the bearings in the turbo AND keep the engine cool. It would require an external oil tank with a rather large capacity. Oil cooled turbos need to be kept cool, otherwise the bearings get coked. That is why modern turbos are typically air/oil cooled. For all of the plumbing and expense, you might be better served just buying a larger bike...or shoehorning a larger engine into your LS650. Or just go with high-compression piston and other bolt-ons.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/11/15 at 08:39:23

No Turbo for me....

If you want a bike that has a bit more power - while still has simplicity and reliability....then you need to do engine upgrades to the piston, cam, cylinder head, muffler, header, carb. (Or the cheaper and easier route is to just buy a bigger and faster motorcycle).

If you want a complicated project, a bike that is more to work on or look at then it is to ride, then you could try to install a turbo.  As Gary said...the stock oil system on this bike cannot handle the additional oil flow (or cooling) that a turbo needs....you would need to add an additional oil pump for the turbo, and it can't be electric as the bike doesn't have enough capacity to run additional electric components.

And.....it is not just an expensive bolt on piece.  You will pretty much be on your own to design and fabricate it.  The Savage engine is primitive....it does not have a knock sensor, fuel injection, oxygen sensor...or any of those things that modern fuel injected cars have that can adapt to a bolt on turbo kit.  There is no computer that can take readings from various sensors and adjust the fuel and timing to compensate for what is going on in the engine, and the engine most likely will run poorly or self destruct unless you spend a lot of time tuning and adapting things.

Here is a link to Savagebob's 1.5 year supercharger thread. It is no easier than a turbo, and in the time he has been working on it I have ridden my bike 6,000 miles.  Do you want to spend time in the garage....or on the bike riding? (sorry Bob).

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1372223359/0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/11/15 at 09:49:14

If you wanna go Deep Tinkering either get another engine or bike and mess with it. You can ride or tinker.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #4 - 03/11/15 at 11:31:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/11/15 at 09:49:14:
You can ride or tinker.

Which is why I'm doing upgrades to my 87 to make it as bomb-proof as possible... because I'd rather ride.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #5 - 03/11/15 at 11:46:03

Though I've never turbo'd an air cooled bike I own a turbo'd air cooled vw bug an like Dave said its a lot of work. With no electronics tuning is a constant issue. With the bug I had the luxury of a larger sump, electronic ignition upgrade and the room to pipe in an intercooler. Even with all of that I can honestly say I spend more time adjusting stuff then I do driving it. But I can say this for all of the time fabricating, changing parts and tuning when she's right there's no better feeling than spooling up in a car that was never designed to be boosted.

Just know it's a huge project and if you can't perform at least 80% of the fab and build work yourself make sure your checkbook is very healthy. Even with so e readily available fab parts and my ability to build I still had to outsource a bunch of stuff. And in the end I gave up and found a shop to do the fine tuning.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
jordan650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/12/15 at 05:42:53

thanks for the help guys. I think im just going to stay away from the turbo, it was just a thought.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/12/15 at 06:23:13

jordan650 wrote on 03/12/15 at 05:42:53:
thanks for the help guys. I think im just going to stay away from the turbo, it was just a thought.

Until you get to a very advanced state of mechanical aptitude...it is better to stay with proven upgrades.  Until piston/cam/intake/exhaust changes and carb jetting become second nature to you.....you should stay away from the PHD level projects.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 03/12/15 at 06:27:35

Dave's suggestion of a high compression piston, cam, ported head, and performance exhaust will probably get you to where you want to be. A stock 650 will dyno around 26hp and I believe that the aforementioned mods will get you into 40hp range. That's a 50% improvement.

After my bike is sorted out and it gets torn down for painting, I'll be upgrading my engine as per Dave's suggestion.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/12/15 at 06:48:50

There are guys here who have got theirs hopped up and based on my experience and riding ability on a stock chassis powered by a slightly modified engine, I would venture to guess that our guys here have got the bikes power up to about the end of usable.. IMO the chassis, handling,braking all combined just aren't really suited for much more power than what they have been able to squeeze out using the more low tech approach.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/06/15 at 16:32:27

I was looking at a turbo originally, even found a suitable size turbo to fit up. However, as been mentioned, I came up against the major hurdle of how to cool the turbo without an adequate internal oil system, and without adequate electrical charge to run an external oil system.

So I went with the supercharger, and whist it has been a lot of work. It wasn't that hard to do really. Dave makes it sound like I've spent 1.5 years working on it for no gain which isn't true. It took me 1.5 years to build the entire bike, not just the supercharger system. Now I ride it everyday to work and it's awesome.

If I was a mechanic or knew more about tuning bikes it would have been easier, but hey, great way to learn right?

My thoughts were that the gains/$ ratio working up the 650 just didn't seem worthwhile and bolting on the power seemed like better bang for your buck. That said, it is a lot of work getting it right.. there has been a lot of trail and error with it but tinkering in the garage is part of the fun for me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 04/06/15 at 17:06:48

How about some pics?
Zero to sixty times?
What's the top end?
I got close to six seconds, and ONE DAY I hit the ton. Carbs are sensitive to temperature and humidity...
What kinda boost is it making?
Need premium?

Ooookay, I found that other post...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/06/15 at 17:55:31

savagebob wrote on 04/06/15 at 16:32:27:
So I went with the supercharger, and whist it has been a lot of work. It wasn't that hard to do really. Dave makes it sound like I've spent 1.5 years working on it for no gain which isn't true. It took me 1.5 years to build the entire bike, not just the supercharger system. Now I ride it everyday to work and it's awesome.  

I didn't mean to pick on you - but most folks think that bolting on a turbo kit is simple and easy and foolproof.  Buy the kit and be back on the bike after a weekend.  I couldn't talk my nephew out of buying a turbo kit for his brand new Camaro V-6....and 2 weeks after he paid to have a performance shop put it in the turbo seal went out, later it was the clutch, then later again it was the second gear synchro.  He had to sell the car in less than 6 months to get something he could actually drive.

I just did't want anyone to get in over his head.....and end up without any bike to ride.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/06/15 at 20:03:32

I hear ya Dave. I think any serious performance mods are time consuming/difficult/expensive (pick two).

I looked at doing an all out n/a motor vs boosting vs fitting a larger/better motor. I actually was pretty keen on trying to stick a DR650 motor in. But simply couldn't find one available for a reasonable price.

I thought I'd give the boost a go since nobody else seems to have tried it.

But I know what you are saying, it's definately not simple. I signed over my soul to the bike gods devoting a lot of garage tinker time with no guarantee of success.

I did have aspirations to prove this a viable performance route and maybe supply kits to others who want to take the same journey. But I realised apart from the SC drive shaft & bearing cover the rest of it has been too piece-meal to replicate in multiple quantities.  Undecided

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 13:31:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › turbo anyone?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.