Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lane splitting in Washington State. (Read 159 times)
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Lane splitting in Washington State.
03/08/15 at 22:07:48

So, there is finally a bill moving to legalize lane splitting here in the Evergreen State.
(Legalize pot, then lane splitting - now that's eugenics! Smiley)

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/5623-...

Summary: if passed, we can split a lane, but not faster that 10MPH faster than the flow of traffic, and not faster than 25MPH.

This pretty much means if traffic is stopped, we ride those lines.

I'm split on lane splitting - visiting California often, I'm startled and amazed by lane splitting. I see it on the freeways at 60MPH plus. I think splitting at that speed is nuts.

So, I like the 25MPH cap they put on splitting. I hope it passes.

The one thing I don't want out of this is to be pressured in to splitting 'just cuz it can be done'. That's one of the issues I had with 'Right Turn On Red' - just because I can do it, doesn't mean I have to. What if I just want to sit there and reflect on all the texting I could do if I were not driving.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Lane splitting in Washington State.
Reply #1 - 03/09/15 at 06:12:38

I'm torn.

I've been stuck in traffic where I turned my Savage off and walked it because I didn't want it to overheat.
I've sat on the side while bikes pass in the break down lane. I can't be that guy. You wait in line, you do your time like everyone else, don't be an ass.

I can see the advantages but I am upset by the inequality, if that makes sense.
Also I think it's dangerous as Hell and I can't even back out of my garage without dragging my bags on something. People are stupid and you never know who is having a bad day and will open a car door into you.

--Steve

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 03/09/15 at 08:39:33

All you will need is one moron in a cage changing lanes without using a turn signal and your day will be really f*cked up.  Don't know about the west coast but around here turn signals just aren't used. Even a ten mph accident can break something.
 Of course you will also get cage drivers stuck in traffic who will take offense at lane splitters and will block the lane. It's a recipe for road rage between car drivers and bike riders.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/09/15 at 09:10:21

I travel to CA often and drivers out there are used to lane splitting and I've not seen anyone purposely swerve over or open a door. Not that it doesn't happen, but I've not see it.

in another state that just starts lane splitting, I'd say you will have problems in the beginning. Guarantee some dude is gonna get sideswiped by a car pissed off at him zipping by.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/09/15 at 11:34:49

I think there's enough 1% to keep the cagers in check.
They come roaring down the line every so often.
most will move over when they notice you in between texts.

WWW   IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #5 - 03/09/15 at 12:54:04

WebsterMark wrote on 03/09/15 at 09:10:21:
I travel to CA often and drivers out there are used to lane splitting and I've not seen anyone purposely swerve over or open a door. Not that it doesn't happen, but I've not see it.

in another state that just starts lane splitting, I'd say you will have problems in the beginning. Guarantee some dude is gonna get sideswiped by a car pissed off at him zipping by.

The other part of the lane splitting equation is the penalty for cutting off a motorcyclist. In California, it is illegal to block the bike with a car and Washington will have to do the same.

I lived in Washington from 1974 through 2001 and I got back every year to visit family. If the lane splitting thing gets passed then I just might look into moving back.  Wink

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 03/09/15 at 14:41:08

Ed L. wrote on 03/09/15 at 08:39:33:
 Of course you will also get cage drivers stuck in traffic who will take offense at lane splitters and will block the lane. It's a recipe for road rage between car drivers and bike riders.

Yep. I rarely see this behavior in the morning commute (not too may people playing games in the morning). But I do see way more zero-sum games being played in the evening commute. I get truckers straddling  lanes to block merge lanes, brake checks and other silliness in the evening.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
cyclesarge
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/15/15 at 18:06:15

I'd really only use it to filter past very slow or stopped traffic. I CAN see some idiots wheelying past everyone, but I see that occasionally anyway.

Something I was really surprised to find out about Washington is that they don't require any kind of insurance for motorcyclists, pretty forcing the worst driving, least responsible people to ride the fastest most dangerous vehicles on the road, yep, makes sense to me, haha.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 03/16/15 at 03:06:11

Paraquat wrote on 03/09/15 at 06:12:38:
I'm torn.

I've been stuck in traffic where I turned my Savage off and walked it because I didn't want it to overheat.
I've sat on the side while bikes pass in the break down lane. I can't be that guy. You wait in line, you do your time like everyone else, don't be an ass.

I can see the advantages but I am upset by the inequality, if that makes sense.
Also I think it's dangerous as Hell and I can't even back out of my garage without dragging my bags on something. People are stupid and you never know who is having a bad day and will open a car door into you.

--Steve

From a European - Italian prespective.

Motorcycles are lean, narrow, agile - and most of the time air cooled.

Way back in the 1950's they were often a family's only means of locomotion.
You would use your Vespa/ 125-185 motor to commute to work, and wiggle your way past traffic jams.
THAT is the very point of facing dust and pebbles and braving bad weather - it gets you to the office in decent time, very much unlike a car.

Now... the moment local authorities claim a motorcycle MUST abide by the same laws as a 3-ton pickup, that's when I point out the local PD has MC officers - to get "there" faster, regardless of traffic .
That is exactly the reason I face bad weather, hot weather etc.: commute by MC because I get to my destination on time.

Side note: to demand that a MC stay stuck in traffic just like a car...
...is like demanding that you walk your dog on its hind legs only...

It is not a matter of lane splitting or no lane splitting: if a vehicle is 1/4th the width of others, it is a matter of common sense.

Closing remark: here in Italy MCs regularly use the breakdown lane when traffic is stationary. We call it the "Emergency lane" because that's what ambulances, FD and PD will use in case of an accident.
It is true and undeniable, however, that the case of flashing lights in your rear-view mirror, a MC will slip back into traffic in no time at all.
Many municipalities actually have scooter ambulances with a crew of one/two, it gets on site in half the time of a full size ambulance, and provides emernency treatment.

As for the bitter motorist opening the car door at you: by European Code of Conduct, it is the motorist's fault if a MC crashes into it, no more than if a "silent" Emergency vehicle crashed into it.
We have mandatory external rear view mirrors to handle suchrequirements.
And if anyone wereto quip "He can't use the Emergency lane and I opened the car door on purpose", it's Attempted Murder and GBH.
He had better say "I had to take a pee and foolishly opened the car odoor without looking", it's GBH without the attempted murder.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/16/15 at 07:31:33

I don't expect our laws to make sense... it took till th70's for them to admit people are smart enough to turn right on a red light and not get killed..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/16/15 at 09:09:30

What is GBH?

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/16/15 at 09:17:01

My guess

Gross bodily harm

Like gross negligence

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #12 - 03/18/15 at 00:35:55

Being a California resident I really enjoy lane splitting. I rarely do it in moving traffic but the option to go to the front of the light is why I ride to work. Motorcycles are also allowed in the HOV lanes on freeways here which usually gets us out of the congested nonsense of normal lanes. Cali iirc has the same rules as Washington is trying to pass the 10 and 25 rule. Doesn't get followed on the freeways though that's for sure I've been split plenty of times while in the car in traffic doing 30-40mph and the bike was doing twice that. Like Dane said in Cali it's illegal to purposely block a motorcycle and most cages will ease over "if" they see you coming. I generally give a wave if they do just so they feel appreciated.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 03/18/15 at 08:38:11

There are certainly times that I would like the option...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 03/24/15 at 02:43:57

Paraquat wrote on 03/16/15 at 09:09:30:
What is GBH?

--Steve

IIRC, GBH means "Grevious Bodily Harm"

Whoops ! I just realized it is a British, not a US expression !

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charged_GBH

Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:13:05

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Lane splitting in Washington State.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.