Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine noise after tensioner replacement (Read 208 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Engine noise after tensioner replacement
Reply #15 - 03/09/15 at 04:02:24

Any chance it's the speedometer rattle?  Mine buzzes sometimes.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 03/09/15 at 04:40:17

It is amazing how little I can tell from the sound on video....I just can't tell anything from watching/listening to them.

I had a headlight rattle at idle that I could have sworn was cam/rocker related.  With my full coverage helmet on it sounded like it was coming from the top of the engine.  When I would stop at a light I could definitely hear a rattle.  Once day I reached up and put my hand on the top of the headlight and squeezed the chrome ring....and the noise went away!

Have you checked your rockers for adjustment?  One member had a cam that was going bad, and the pads on the rockers were completely worn away.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #17 - 03/09/15 at 04:51:26

If you don't have one you can get a mechanics stethoscope at Harbor Freight for $8.  It may help isolate where the noise is coming from.  You can hear a whole lot more than you think!  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 03/09/15 at 08:40:10

pg wrote on 03/09/15 at 04:51:26:
If you don't have one you can get a mechanics stethoscope at Harbor Freight for $8.  It may help isolate where the noise is coming from.  You can hear a whole lot more than you think!  

Best regards,

or you can be cheap and put any random peice of metal into a random length of vacuum hose, thereby making your own
the metal bit goeas against the motor of course, the open end of the hose goes in your ear

IP Logged
Flarph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/09/15 at 09:46:15

Thanks for the suggestions, I have the last 4 quarts of oil that I dropped still sitting in my garage so I will run a magnet through that. I am fairly certain that it is not any cables but I haven't checked the headlight yet so hopefully it is something that simple. The noise started up after the first oil change of the year in January.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 03/09/15 at 10:09:45

Best I could tell from the video, the clack was coming out the muffler... Undecided...
I'd check the decomp adjustment... and valve lash...

...but first,.. put a hand on the headlight bezel,... and over the speedo... (those guys are sneaky)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Flarph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/09/15 at 20:56:46

Well no metal shavings in the oil so I guess that is good news. I had it idle for about a half hour and had trouble getting it to come back fully. Headlight and Speedo diddnt make a noise change. I will check the muffler tomorrow/ later this week. I did notice that the belt guard is vibrating against the metal of the pulley? That  attaches the belt to the rear wheel. Fairly distinct sound profile though.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 03/10/15 at 04:29:34

Flarph wrote on 03/09/15 at 20:56:46:
I had it idle for about a half hour and had trouble getting it to come back fully.

Idle for half an hour?  I wouldn't recommend doing that.  Start the bike, warm it up half a minute or two....then ride.  The bike is air cooled and really doesn't have adequate cooling or oil pressure at idle.

IP Logged
Flarph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/10/15 at 07:32:34

Fair enough, it usually only happens when I have been riding for a while so I was trying to replicate it. Do you think it is safe to ride right now? I don't want to do any damage to the engine while I am sorting out the noise.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #24 - 03/10/15 at 07:48:46

Sure, your safe to ride it.  I would spend about 45 minutes and gently re-tighten all of the bolts.  I usually do this every other year and more often than not many need a bit of messaging.  Inspect everything while your doing it.  Perhaps I didn't notice, what year and how many miles as well?

Best regards,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 03/10/15 at 07:53:45

Tighten?Why? No leak, why?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #26 - 03/10/15 at 07:57:26

I think something is loose and is vibrating.

Best regards,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 03/10/15 at 09:01:12

Just be careful that you don't tighten the head cover bolts or case screws more then the recommended torque value...they strip easily.

I just had a revelation with another forum member....he tore an engine apart that was making a loud noise, and found the flywheel nut was finger tight.  The same thing happened to mine and began as a ticking noise at 400 total miles, and by 1,200 it was a horribly loud clacking noise.  The noise is loudest at idle rpm's and becomes less noticeable as the rpm's increase....at cruising speeds it is barely noticeable.  It is however constant at idle speed and clacks with every compression and power stroke....and does not come and go.

The bad news is that the only way to check this is to pull the left side engine cover, pull the rotor, and then use the large deep socket and flywheel older to get it tightened up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:26:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine noise after tensioner replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.