I'm back (Read 182 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: I'm back
Reply #15 - 03/09/15 at 08:48:57

I agree, a 250 Rebel is a pretty good starter bike (buy used, and it'll sell for nearly what you bought it for) and contrary to what the stealership will tell you, they will run 70 on the freeway all day long with no issues
the S40 is a great next choice, almost the same size, better suspension, and a much stronger motor
For many, it's all the bike you'll ever need

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 03/09/15 at 09:14:00

I wonder if a dyno would make a fair simulation..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 03/09/15 at 09:21:39

Simulation of what?... Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 03/09/15 at 09:24:43

resistance is futile... you will be a simulated.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 03/09/15 at 09:48:14

A dyno might tell yo something....if you knew what you are looking at when the graph is put in front of you.  The Savage and my little Ninja 250 have almost identical HP readings......around 30 hp.

The Savage comes on really strong - and then as you approach 4,000 rpm and up....it loses it's enthusiasm but will continue up to 6,500 rpm if asked to.  It has a enough power just off idle to hurt someone if they accidentally apply too much throttle.

The Ninja 250 has very little torque - but runs smoothly and cleanly at low rpm, and would make a great starter bike.  It accelerates really slow off idle, is nice and peaceful, and rides great around the neighborhood at low rpm.  When you get the rpm up above 8,000 rpm - then stuff really happens quickly right up to 14,000 rpm....it is like a different bike up there and handles the interstate at 70-80 just fine.  Unlike most 250's - interstate highways can be used easily.  There are a lot of them crashed by 'squids" playing racer before they have developed good riding skills. 

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #20 - 03/09/15 at 11:21:29

I would consider the savage/s40 a good "cruiser starter". And find dave's comparison right on the money, although the little ninja's have to have higher rev's to get the hp back they were designed that way.

Oh and ...

Welcome back, look forward to you and your wife's cycle escapades! :d

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
cyclesarge
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/14/15 at 18:44:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/08/15 at 19:14:02:
Your wife ottsta listen to people who ride..
Yeah, a 650 is a lot, but, this is low HP , low CG And pretty light in general.
Now, that said, if she can't safely pick it up, it's too much for her. That's just MY opinion,, but I would not own what I couldn't handle alone. Maybe she will never be alone.. That would change

That's what I thought. I've been riding on the street for 32 years, and a few years on the dirt before that and I think the people at her work (none of whom RIDE) were probably thinking along the lines of V-Star650, Nighthawk650, or Seca650.

We took the bike out a couple times now. The weather's not too bad here, but by the time she gets off work it's starting to get cold. On her second ride she dropped it (glad I bought used again) trying to  turn right after stopping pretty close to the right curb  Embarrassed. We rode around a little bit after that and she did fine.

IP Logged
cyclesarge
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/14/15 at 18:51:03

Oh yeah, I helped her pick the bike up, but then she hadn't really tried by the time I got there. I HAVE shown her the video where they show the small woman picking the BIG Harley up by putting her butt to the seat and using her legs to walk the bike up. So if she drops it again, I'll have her try that.

IP Logged
cyclesarge
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/14/15 at 18:51:45

I think I'm getting the hang of this multiple post thing.

IP Logged
cyclesarge
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/14/15 at 18:57:38

jcstokes wrote on 03/08/15 at 21:40:34:
Presumably, the lady has acquired the basics on the 250 and hopefully will be able to apply them to the new S40.

I think so, though she does need some refreshing after not riding for almost a year.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 03/14/15 at 19:08:24

Clutch, gas, start,stop, all safe and secure, strapped to a Dyno.. Costs less than trading bikes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cyclesarge
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/15/15 at 09:26:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/14/15 at 19:08:24:
Clutch, gas, start,stop, all safe and secure, strapped to a Dyno.. Costs less than trading bikes.

So far it hasn't cost me anything, in fact overall I've made money thanks to the first bike I bought her about 10 years ago (a 1989 VTR 250 that I bought for $850 then painted cleaned up and sold for $2000). Each of the other bikes (2007 S40 bought and sold for $2000, 2002 Yamaha Vino bought and sold for $700 and 2007 V-Star 250 bought and sold for $2000) have only cost me an oil change and some very basic maintenance.

She's got the clutch, gas, start, stop thing down, she needs help with doing those thing starting and stopping on corners. The dyno thing is an interesting idea though. I have a friend that used to own and operate a "Wheelie simulator" which consisted of an R6 strapped to a resistance wheel on a trailer that would allow you to practice wheelies in safety. I suppose it could also be used to simulate starting and stopping.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #27 - 03/15/15 at 09:39:39

CS.... I just put my wife in school.... sent her to two classes. I personally thought it would be better for our marriage if I was not the person training her, or showing her my bad habits.
Less stress, better for both of us.... after her class, I gave her a few "pointers" I noticed after about 4 or 5 rides together.

Just a thought mind you.... but if she has ridden before it might just be a matter of repetition.  Smiley

P.S. She just started riding by herself the last couple of years.... (she is over 50, but don't tell her I told you!) and had never ridden anything other than a bicycle. And um, her coordination was not the best in the world, she gets flustered easily. Roll Eyes

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
cyclesarge
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 03/15/15 at 10:28:46

old_rider wrote on 03/15/15 at 09:39:39:
CS.... I just put my wife in school.... sent her to two classes. I personally thought it would be better for our marriage if I was not the person training her, or showing her my bad habits.
Less stress, better for both of us.... after her class, I gave her a few "pointers" I noticed after about 4 or 5 rides together.

Just a thought mind you.... but if she has ridden before it might just be a matter of repetition.  Smiley

P.S. She just started riding by herself the last couple of years.... (she is over 50, but don't tell her I told you!) and had never ridden anything other than a bicycle. And um, her coordination was not the best in the world, she gets flustered easily. Roll Eyes

Sounds like my wife, haha.

My wife did take the MSF course, though she didn't pass, She dropped the bike on the first exercise because she had it in second gear, and killed the bike while trying to take off, then lost her balance and dropped it. At the time she was able to take the test at the DMV, with a couple practice sessions she was able to pas that, and get her endorsement.

Obviously, I'm not expecting her to be a world tourer or hard core rider or anything. The only reason I wanted her to take the class and get her endorsement was because she has always been afraid of riding with me (I think because she didn't understand the physics of motorcycling). Once we started talking about the class, she wanted her own bike. I think she'd be MUCH better at riding on the back now, unfortunately my only bike (right now) is a Harley Nightster (solo seat) and I don't plan on uglying that up with a back seat, passenger pegs and two up shocks, haha, so I'm currently looking at possibly adding a Harley Softail Deluxe to the garage.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #29 - 03/15/15 at 21:54:25

Number 1: Don't listen to other people--unless it's us.
B: why put a Savage on any machine except a battery charger. It's small, fast (Unless 85-90 isn't considered fast.), good lookin', reliable, and inexpensive. Can a dyno make you grin like your first kiss?
Harley Davidson built a 100 yr empire with mostly 50 hp bikes.
Don't over think , over buy, or over ride past your capabilities. I lived through dirt bikes Kaw H1 and H2s. I am 61, and this bike is perfect for me. Stay away from folks who don't support your ride. Unsafe is one thing. Opinion is just that. If you can handle it--enjoy.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:27:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › I'm back

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.