Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike idled for ~1min and won't start again (Read 74 times)
pridedrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike idled for ~1min and won't start again
03/07/15 at 14:51:03

Hi All,

I own a 2005 Savage and I bought it used with about 14500 miles on it. I've had my motorcycle in and out of storage for the past 3 winter months. I did take it out a few times on the warmer days but she's been in storage and battery on a tender otherwise.

Just recently when I took her back out for a ride, she started and idled briefly for about 1 minute before dying, I should note that because the weather was about ~25f on that day the carb knob was pulled out all the way. There was a slight smell of gasoline and the oil level was a tad low but nothing out of the ordinary otherwise.

I went to start it again and it wouldn't start even after a fully charged battery. I hear the starter cranking as well as the decompression valve activate. I went through all debugging steps on my Clymer's manual and per a suggestion on a different thread, drained the carburetor using the drain screw and I found some metal shavings in the gas but I believe it is normal. I am unsure of when the sparkplug has been last serviced and I am unsure of whether that could be the issue.

Thanks!  :'(

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Bike idled for ~1min and won't start again
Reply #1 - 03/07/15 at 16:30:20

Metal shavings?... that ain't normal...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pridedrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/07/15 at 16:54:59

Hmm.. That's what I thought but I followed this post: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191899985 "Step12: You might want to take a look in the little bowl you used, cause if there are some metal slivers or other junk in it you might not want to pour it with the rest."

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/07/15 at 16:57:58

Dirt and debris sit down in the cavity the spark plug is in. Blow it out good before pulling the plug.

Metal in gas? How would that ever be normal?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/07/15 at 18:00:12

pridedrider wrote on 03/07/15 at 14:51:03:
drained the carburetor using the drain screw and I found some metal shavings in the gas but I believe it is normal.

What do they look like? brass, aluminum, or steel... long, short or powder?
Quote:
I am unsure of when the sparkplug has been last serviced and I am unsure of whether that could be the issue.

most likely your plug is fouled.  buy a couple extra for times like this.

WWW   IP Logged
savage_skulls_
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reply #5 - 03/07/15 at 20:37:19

Just went through a similar situation my friend. Got an 03 with less than 5000 miles on it. Run perfect, took a short ride then wouldn't start back up. Turned out to be the plug was fried to he'll so it's a definite to get that changed. A lot of guys on here have mentioned doing that about every 6 months in past threads. I went ahead and threw a new battery in too because mine was 12 years old. Charged up fine but wouldn't hold as I was starting it with a multimeter hooked up. Our bikes are finnicky when it comes to juice. You gotta be putting out a consistent 12.1 volts or no go on the starter. It'll still crank like hell like it's good but won't fire her up. So I would probably throw a new one in for shits and giggles as an extra measure if you can afford to. Now...... metal shavings??? DEFINITELY NOT NORMAL. You gotta pull the gas tank when installing the new plug and battery so go ahead and drain it and clean out your carb. Pay close attention to all moving parts in your peacock as well as the areas around your hoses to see what could be causing that. Could be some crap picked up from a crappy gas pump but better to check and you'll need to get that outta there regardless. You should be back on the road after that. Any trouble with anything just ask these guys! They've got great advice and will fire away with it as soon as you post to give you a hand. Read what they've got to say and browse through old threads. You'll be wrenching away like a pro in no time :-p

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind-Ghandi
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 03/07/15 at 22:21:06

How are the threads on the carb drain screw and on the carb itself?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
pridedrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/08/15 at 12:48:38

Thanks for the replies yall! I'll work on the bike after my exams are over this week. And I'll be sure to post an update with pictures once I pull the plug out. And I agree with @savage_skulls_'s reply. I read in the clymer manual that the plug has to be checked regularly and I have never gotten around to do that.  Undecided Especially with the cold winter air, the air/fuel ratio cold have lead to fouling of the plug.

@verslagen1 The shavings looked silver in color and are somewhat tiny, <.25mm. They floated around in the gas when I looked at the cap I drained into. If anything, it kind of resembled a snow globe? (but not as many and as regular. I continued to drain the carb and it seemed like they were getting few and fewer. Probably gas deposits? (I'm a poor student and I don't always get expensive gas)  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/08/15 at 12:51:10

Don't twist on the gas while starting.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:11:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike idled for ~1min and won't start again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.