Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
T-kat brace not fitting (Read 187 times)
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
T-kat brace not fitting
03/07/15 at 13:13:57

Here's the message I just sent to the maker:

[i]"It came.  I tried to install it.  Wouldn't fit.  I sanded off the clear coat on my forks. it didn't fit.  I sanded off the burrs and corrosion on the inside of the brace.  It didn't fit,  I tapped it on with a rubber hammer and it wouldn't line up straight.  I sanded the fork tubes some more and it still was too tight.  when I did hammer it onto the fork tubes it wouldn't rotate so I could line up the center bracket.

my fender is scratched, the fork tubes are abraded and I've wasted 3 hours better spent working for money to pay the extra $100 for the 'superbrace' others recommended even if it was more expensive.  I'll probably have to give your brace negative feedback on the Suzukisavage forum.

OBVIOUSLY I AM NOT PLEASED."

DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO GET IT ON RIGHT.??/

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: T-kat brace not fitting
Reply #1 - 03/07/15 at 14:45:04

Can you put up a pic?  The TKAT I have fit perfectly.  Although, I did have to cut off the plastic debris guard at the top of the forks where the brace attaches.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/07/15 at 14:48:31

Did you put it together first? I'm thinking I'd get the clamps on the tubes, not quite tight, then the cross brace, or, just Start the cross brace screws,, then install,, but I don't tighten anything on stuff like that until everything is started.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 03/07/15 at 14:57:32

Yeah, JOGs correct.  I lightly tightened each bolt by hand and moved to the next one across the hole thing.  Then I used an allen head socket in the same manner.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 03/07/15 at 15:14:41

And I HAD a Super brace, yet I don't recommend it Above the Tkat. I think the Tkat has a good look for certain styles of bikes and I don't see how one is Better than the other. I am confused about Where you found people to recommend the Super brace while I don't see but one post..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #5 - 03/07/15 at 15:25:04

Details:

I cut off the plastic guards easy.  Then I 'tried' to install the two collars separately and looked at alot of pictures here and on the net.

The brace pieces that go around the forks don't just slip on.  I have to hit them on with a rubber hammer.  I even sanded off the clear coat on the forks per someone here advise.  Even when I got them on they tilted and wouldn't rotate so I could line up the cross piece holes, to see if that fit right.  There are gaps between the two collar pieces.  They are just too small.

The brace is not labeled.  There were no instructions in the package and no receipt telling me I had an s40 brace.  I know I clearly stated 'SUZUKI 2005 SAVAGE S40" in the email order.  I have that.

I think now I was sent the wrong brace, but I can't prove that.  I can't even find the shipping container, because 'someone nice' cleaned up my desk.

And there was no phone provided so I can't even call and ask questions.  I will await a vendor response.  Just tired of not getting what was expected and paid for.

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/08/15 at 07:09:08

Maybe there is something wrong with the brace - but TKAT has a great reputation for making a high quality brace.....and although he is not always at his computer, he will stand behind his product and make it right.  You will just have to allow a little time for him to respond....he is a one man operation and these are not made in a huge factory with hundreds of employees and a Customer Service staff.

The TKAT does fit tight - it has to if it is going to operate as a brace....a sloppy fit won't accomplish anything.

When I installed mine I used a straight edge and tapped the inner clamp pieces onto the fork legs as straight as possible  - using the straight edge across the front of the inner clamp so that I could tap them on as straight as possible..  If you can't get the inside clamp piece on the fork legs....then something is wrong.  They are a tight fit - but not impossible to get on the fork legs.  The next step would be to try and get the X-brace installed - I loosened my front axle to allow me to pull the fork legs apart a bit to help with the installation...then tightened the axle once the TKAT brace was completely installed.  I installed the outer clamps last.  The holes in the outer clamps for the fork tubes are a very tight fit, and they won't just slide into place....they have to be tapped with a rubber hammer and "coaxed" into place....when the bolts are installed the piece will clamp on tight, and the brace can function properly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 03/08/15 at 08:50:45

Wako,

I installed the Tkat brace a couple of weeks ago and loaded some pics on here of the progress while installing the brace. I don't know if this will be helpful, but you can find it here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1422908164/20#20

Kenny G

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #8 - 03/08/15 at 09:48:52

Thank you for all the responses. I have installed other brand braces on other bikes.  Never had a problem.

I had to use my wooden block with the rubber cushioned end and it still didn't work.  The clamps are too small diameter.  

Yes the brace is very well designed and made.  And yes he does have an honest approach to business, did accept my check and shipped fast.   So I expect it will be worked out... eventually.  

KennyG, I always wondered about slitting the boots.  Thanks for the reminder that it works.  Looks good.

Here's a pic to compare to yours:

DSCN2795.JPG

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #9 - 03/08/15 at 12:22:27

Wako,

That looks exactly like the Tkat fork brace that I installed. The only trouble that I had was getting the groves to line up with the top of the forks. After I had them in alignment a couple of taps with a rubber hammer was all it took to get started.

I have been splitting fork boots ever since I can remember and have never had a problem. I always check under the boots for water after I wash the bike or get caught in the rain. I have seldom found any water in them, but just to be safe after they get wet I prop them up with popsicle sticks overnight.

Kenny G

« Last Edit: 03/08/15 at 15:56:35 by Kenny G »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 03/08/15 at 14:58:16

My bike is a 2007 and had the rubber fork thingys sticking up - the earlier bikes didn't.  I wonder if there is any difference in the size of the fork sliders on the early bikes vs. the later ones with the plastic fork protectors?  If there is a difference....maybe you were sent the part for the early forks and not the ones your bike has on it?

And....I chatted with Serowbot and he had a great thought.  You are not trying to fit the ridge on the fork caps into the slot in the forks are you?   The ridge sits on top of the fork tubes....above the seal.  Don't try to drive the ridge into the groove....it won't fit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 03/08/15 at 15:42:54

I'd go get a set of calipers and measure the forks and the clamps. Everyone needs calipers..

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #12 - 03/08/15 at 18:10:25

Communication in progress.  Yes I did all the recommendations, and measured and there are some diameter differences.

thank you all, and yes I do consider tkat a man of his word and stands behind his product and we'll work this out.  and I like the brace and want it to work.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #13 - 03/18/15 at 09:38:45

Wako,

Did you ever get your situation straightened out with the fork brace?

Kenny G

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Re: T-kat brace - UPDATE = NOW FITS GREAT.!!!
Reply #14 - 03/20/15 at 09:52:09

WORKED OUT FINE just now.!!!  Grin

shipping had sent different bike fork tube collars; too small.  I got the right ones EXPRESS MAIL last nite.

installed them just now.  GREAT... TIGHT AND POSITIVE, just the right amount of tightness.

We are both sorry for the confusion. Undecided

Now I can say = this is a GREAT PRODUCT and TKAT a GREAT person do work with.  And the price is awesome for such a well made brace.

I AM NOW VERY PLEASED.  Grin Grin Grin I would get another one anytime.

Thanks for all the good help. Smiley

Tom

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › T-kat brace not fitting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.