Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
snapped cylinder head bolts..... (Read 53 times)
Tony from tdot

Calling all Toronto
savage riders!

Toronto, Canada
snapped cylinder head bolts.....
03/07/15 at 00:15:33

hello all....made a small mistake.....

I took off the head a few months ago to fix the plug leak. torqued everything down just fine. let the motor sit the next few months.

Last week I got anxious to start the bike since spring is around the corner. ran great. now this week I thought about retorquing it down. Stupid me its been so cold that the motor and bolts are almost frozen. So I went ahead with my analog torque wrench and SNAP! I snapped the head off the bolt that sits at a 45 degree angle, next to the valve cover, and one of the corner bolts.

What are my best options at this point? I guess I can always try to pull them out and replace, OR, since this is my project any ways, I can order a new top end to freshen it up?Thanks for all your help

20150307_011136.jpg
  IP Logged
Tony from tdot

Calling all Toronto
savage riders!

Toronto, Canada
Re: snapped cylinder head bolts.....
Reply #1 - 03/07/15 at 00:16:04

20150307_031652.jpg
  IP Logged
Tony from tdot

Calling all Toronto
savage riders!

Toronto, Canada
Reply #2 - 03/07/15 at 00:16:21

20150307_011123.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/07/15 at 04:20:46

Well it is a little late to tell you this not.....but nobody re-torques they cylinder head cap bolts.  They are small and easy to break....you are lucky you didn't pull any threads out of the soft aluminum cylinder.

The 45 degree angle one is the retaining bolt for the decompression shaft.

About your only option now is to pull the head cover, and see if you can get the broken bits out without removing the head.  Often when the bolt break the pressure is gone....and the threaded portion can be backed out easily.  Sometimes a bit of epoxy on a wooden dowel is enough if you only put enough epoxy to glue the wooden dowel to the broken bolt without getting any epoxy oozed to the outside of the hole - but it is going to have to get to 60-70 degrees before you can epoxy anything.  The next option is a small drill and screw/bolt extractor.  A left hand drill may be enough.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #4 - 03/07/15 at 06:14:32

If you wind up pulling the top end, I have a good cylinder from my rebuild you can have. I'm in the Hammer, so you could just drive down and grab it. It's stock size, but it's an option. Good luck! I hate broken bolt extraction...

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/07/15 at 07:47:13

Get a tube that barely slides in the hole,then get a rod that just slides in it and sharpen it, spank it, then drill. Left hand is the best answer. Rod used for punch and drill, same size. Use the tube to keep the drill straight and centered. If the drill doesn't get it then hunt a left hand tap.

If you try glue and get it in the threads you're,in a word, screwed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tony from tdot

Calling all Toronto
savage riders!

Toronto, Canada
Reply #6 - 03/07/15 at 11:32:22

Smokestack wrote on 03/07/15 at 06:14:32:
If you wind up pulling the top end, I have a good cylinder from my rebuild you can have. I'm in the Hammer, so you could just drive down and grab it. It's stock size, but it's an option. Good luck! I hate broken bolt extraction...

Ya Ill probably end up doing that in the next few months. Ill keep you posted

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:21:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › snapped cylinder head bolts.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.