Send Topic Print
Gasket maker question (Read 68 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Gasket maker question
03/05/15 at 16:00:43

Popped my clutch cover off today to remove my cam tensioner that was at about 20mm so I can swap in my verslagen1 tensioner tonight and tore the gasket all to hell. Probably hasn't ever been removed from the looks of things and even as hard as I tried I couldn't save it. There are no parts stores local to me (and even not local I called) that carry the gasket in stock. I know Permatex ultra grey or black will do the job my question was more what do all of the overlapping aspects of the gasket do. There are sections that have particular holes cut out that are for something just not sure what purpose they serve and will it affect the bikes oil flow or operation without them? I've attached a photo of the gasket for an idea of what I'm talking about. Any help would be nice as I'm getting the tensioner and need to have this back together tonight since my daily is in the shop and the wife needs her car back.

image_213.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Gasket maker question
Reply #1 - 03/05/15 at 16:09:53

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #2 - 03/05/15 at 16:22:49

Awesome youzguyz that exactly what I needed to see. Tried searching and was apparently over asking the search engine. Not gonna have a full 24 hours more like 12 but I've ordered a gasket and it will be here Monday just in case. I've done plenty of RTV gaskets on valve covers and such just never on a bike. I was more concerned that the designed holes in our gasket served a purpose that couldn't be avoided by gasket maker.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 03/05/15 at 17:46:54

So your answer is NO, you shouldn't use any gasket makers and order an actual gasket cause you can and will goober up the oil passages.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/05/15 at 23:26:51

local Indy bike shop has a printer like machine that cuts out gaskets on demand.  No freight, right now,, no sticky stuff on it,but, no problems..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/06/15 at 03:04:04

Seriously....I would get a gasket.

If you use the RTV, and a bit of it comes off in that channel at the top of the clutch housing and travels up the passage to the cylinder head....it could block off the oil flow to the head.

I realize that the chances of this happening are a bit slim - but why would you want to risk that instead of just waiting 4-5 days for the proper gasket?  If you do the RTV approach....I would take it back apart and do it right as soon as the gasket arrives.  With proper maintenance folks (Youzguyz) have achieved over 100,000 miles on their Savage.....some guys have killed them in less than 10,000 miles.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 03/06/15 at 03:27:49

Yoshi wrote on 03/05/15 at 17:46:54:
So your answer is NO, you shouldn't use any gasket makers and order an actual gasket cause you can and will goober up the oil passages.

From what I can see in OF's post about gasket maker, you can do it without the paper gasket.  It looked like a possible way Rylee to get the bike back together sooner.. but still wasn't soon enough due to the cure time before the final torque down.

Did some more digging.  Found this:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1407267593/7#8

Or.. buy some gasket material (watch the thickness, take old one for comparison), cut out (assuming your old one is good enough for a template and you have a steady hand), light coat of gasket goo on each side.  Should work.

There are posts about doing that as well.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256381039/0

For me, I have always used the store bought OEM gasket.  I also buy one as soon as I use one, so I always have one.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:12:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gasket maker question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.