Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Loss of top end and other issues (Read 120 times)
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Loss of top end and other issues
03/04/15 at 16:02:05

Hey guys hoping you can help, I have been researching and will continue to but I thought I would ask anyway.
sorry for the novel.

so I changed my stock muffler for a HD Dyna, took a few attempts before I got it air tight, didnt re jet just left it as is, I also did a oil and oil filter change too.
I rode it to work the next day which is about 140km round trip, the bike ran great, I thought there was a little more get up and go at around 80kph but also noticed i wasn't getting the top speed that I usually get on my ride to work, it wasn't major maybe 5 - 10 kmph loss. but all in all it was a pretty successful ride. It was loud as a mofo tho, had to wear earplugs on the way home because i almost got a headache. I also felt like the clutch was slipping so when I got home i checked and the clutch lever wasnt set right so i adjusted it to where I think it looked and felt right.

Anyways., the next day I rode to work and all hell broke loose lol.
I couldnt get over 80k at one stage without it smoking up and surging and losing power going up the first hill, this continued the whole trip but in stages i worked it up to 110 - 120km so from 80k surging smoking and losing power to being sweet the next time i got up to 80km, then pushing it up to 90km and it doing the same, but coming right again, then the same thing at 100km, etc.

I thought it was a fuel problem, and i was blowing out the cobwebs in a way, anyway I made it to work, then when I went to ride home i notice a little puddle of petrol under the bike which looked like it came from the carb air vent maybe? I just soldiered on and tried to make it home. it had the same issues on the way home, completely turning off on me twice while on the motorway, the 2nd time it did it I switched to prime and all was going good, untill it shut down on me again and I realised i was out of petrol, got the wife to bring me some fuel and made it home eventually.

from what i have researched so far i think i need to re jet but is there anything else sinister going on that yous can pick up from my novel?

thanks in advance im in New Zealand so any suggestions on jet size etc.

I hope that explains enough ask questions if you need to.

Cheers

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Loss of top end and other issues
Reply #1 - 03/04/15 at 16:19:52

My first thought is petcock..
Hunt around for threads on that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/04/15 at 16:30:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/04/15 at 16:19:52:
My first thought is petcock..
Hunt around for threads on that.

Thank you, it is something i thought about and now its something i will look into.

I forgot to mention that I have a bit of power but when the revs get up the bike just doesnt want to go any faster. I have to gradually work my way up to a speed and cant get there by pushing it, it just seems almost like at a certain rev it just stops getting anymore power so I have to lower the revs to get the speed up. climbing hills i cant have the revs up too much or it starts losing power. thanks

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 03/04/15 at 17:14:09

If your HD muffler is loud as a MF'r... it has been drilled out, and is now basically a straight pipe...
You need some back pressure... find one that isn't boogerd up...
Then, all will be well...and you won't go deaf...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/04/15 at 18:21:45

Serowbot wrote on 03/04/15 at 17:14:09:
If your HD muffler is loud as a MF'r... it has been drilled out, and is now basically a straight pipe...
You need some back pressure... find one that isn't boogerd up...
Then, all will be well...and you won't go deaf...

Thats great to hear, I do have another HD Dyna that I can try. so if it is in fact acting as a straight pipe, would that explain all of the symptoms ie, petrol leak, surging, loss of power etc.

thank you

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/04/15 at 18:52:22

in the dyna there's a plate that completely blocks the exhaust from going straight thru.  if it's drilled or punched out completely it'll be loud.

you can push a freeze plug down the pipe to replace it.

sounds like you're still having problems with the clutch.  check the clutch arm position on the case, there's 2 marks behind it that it should be between when lightly pulled up.

and petcock, check the vac line for fuel... there shouldn't be any.

WWW   IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/04/15 at 21:32:29

verslagen1 wrote on 03/04/15 at 18:52:22:
in the dyna there's a plate that completely blocks the exhaust from going straight thru.  if it's drilled or punched out completely it'll be loud.

you can push a freeze plug down the pipe to replace it.

sounds like you're still having problems with the clutch.  check the clutch arm position on the case, there's 2 marks behind it that it should be between when lightly pulled up.

and petcock, check the vac line for fuel... there shouldn't be any.

thank you, those suggestions seem to cover all the symptoms. i will work thru them and let you all know how i get on. thanks.

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/05/15 at 04:15:42

Eyeball the Dyna, if you can see through, you're seeing the lack of resistance. If you bought them together, bet they're both ruined if one is.
I never bet against Verslagen,  try his way, if you can't make it work, dump the Dyna and buy another..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/10/15 at 21:11:02

Update,

you can see right thru my dynas so it is like a straight pipe, so Im looking at a freeze plug, is 1 1/4 inch the right size?

clutch is working better, clutch arm is resting just above the the bottom line on the motor, but when clutch lever is fully engaged the arm is just above the top mark. is this ok?

havnt got to the petcock yet.

Thanks

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/10/15 at 22:04:10

ToesNose wrote on 04/20/13 at 12:52:04:
So on your advise Dave I went out and got a telescopic inspection mirror and checked out the inside of the Dyna muffler.  It seems however they punched out the divider the original welds from the factory were left, I measured it at around 1 1/4" and got a high walled freeze plug in that size. It took a bit of patience but I got it in there pretty good, the chamber is tapered getting smaller from the inlet to the outlet so I don't see it coming loose.  I went and had my buddy Lee make another intermediate pipe today with revised angles and lengths, I have to have him expand the inlet side a bit, but the length and angles are spot on now  Smiley

Thanks for the advise  Wink

You can see one side of the plug doesn't look tight.
I don't think you'll be able to tack it in place with a welder.
I would just run a dry wall screw in the loose side.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/10/15 at 22:18:50

and apparently the tip comes from the HD forum...

Greg wrote on 07/24/12 at 17:13:32:
Millerman wrote on 07/24/12 at 17:04:22:
ok what did you make that plug out of?

It's the one that came with it. The HD forums say it is an automotive freeze plug/expansion plug. It should be 1.5"/38mm is 1.25".

WWW   IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/11/15 at 01:04:44

verslagen1 wrote on 03/10/15 at 22:18:50:
and apparently the tip comes from the HD forum...

Greg wrote on 07/24/12 at 17:13:32:
Millerman wrote on 07/24/12 at 17:04:22:
ok what did you make that plug out of?

It's the one that came with it. The HD forums say it is an automotive freeze plug/expansion plug. It should be 1.5"/38mm is 1.25".

thank you im ordering me one tonight. the cheapest i can find in NZ is $33 postage included.

any advice on m clutch? at rest the clutch arm is inbetween the marks, when clutch is fully engaged it is slightly above the top mark. is this ok?

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/11/15 at 03:00:29

The marks on the clutch are for where the arm should be when you take the slack out.....that gives you reference of the travel available to releas the clutch.  There is no reference for where it should be when you pull in the clutch lever....the clutch is released when in that position and the position of the lever is meaningless.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/11/15 at 10:14:17

Dave wrote on 03/11/15 at 03:00:29:
The marks on the clutch are for where the arm should be when you take the slack out.....that gives you reference of the travel available to releas the clutch.  There is no reference for where it should be when you pull in the clutch lever....the clutch is released when in that position and the position of the lever is meaningless.

thanks

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com