Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Pilot Lights For Turn Signals (Read 379 times)
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Pilot Lights For Turn Signals
Reply #30 - 03/18/15 at 10:30:20

Dave,

This pertains to my 2013 S40.

I wired the LED into the flasher. From the LED I hooked up the Red wire into the Brown wire on the flasher. I hooked up the Black wire from the LED into the Blue wire on the flasher.

The LED Cluster has a sticky back and I stuck it onto the top of the headlight for it to reflect off of the Fly Shield. AT 12 noon on a bright sunny day I cannot miss seeing that I have a turn signal on.

I am night blind so I do very little riding after dark, but I am sure there is a satisfactory way to minimize the amount of "brightness".
Since the back side of the LED is sticky I think it could just be moved to the underside of the headlight at night. I would probably just put a piece of black electrical tape over the LED Cluster and that should cut off most of the green light. At night on my motorcycles I can see the front turn signal blinking.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 03/18/15 at 11:08:23

What about a LED in the upper rear of the turn signals housing?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #32 - 03/18/15 at 11:15:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/18/15 at 11:08:23:
What about a LED in the upper rear of the turn signals housing?

How about just returning the switch to center as he completes his turn? Afterall, there is already a warning indicator to confirm the action.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #33 - 03/18/15 at 12:16:11

Before this brilliant idea of mine goes too far astray, let me point out that for most riders this addition to the wiring circuit is probably unnecessary. I quit using hand signals sometime in the mid 1960s and I am not likely to go back to them.

For those that are comfortable with using a hand signal, good for you.

For those riders that are constantly looking down at the tank you will find that turn signal indicators are standard equipment on the S40.

I seldom look down at the tank, so I added the Pilot Light as a safety feature for my own unique style of riding. I just started my 63rd year of riding and if I am careful I may be able to get anther 7 or 8 years of riding.

I am also sure that the next car that turns in front of me could signal my last day of riding on this good earth.

I have rode with other motorcyclists often enough to know that I am not the only rider to forget to turn off their turn signal after completing  a turn.

Kenny G  Undecided

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 03/18/15 at 12:55:03

Kenny:

I wear a full face helmet, and found having to completely rotate my head down and lose all sight of the road to read the speedometer or instrument lights very scary.

Now that the bike is a Cafe' bike and has all that stuff up on the handlebars...it is no longer an issue.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #35 - 03/18/15 at 13:18:53

Dave,

I will never be able to afford to do a full RYCA Café Racer, but I do hope to replace the speedometer with one from RYCA on the handlebars before too long. I just cannot get used to looking down at the tank when I am riding.

I, along with many others, do forget to click off the turn signal after completing a turn. I thought putting a Pilot Light up where it can be seen would be a safety feature. Obviously most disagree with me. I will try to remove the posting as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #36 - 03/18/15 at 13:20:59

Not judging Kenny. We're both life-long motorcyclists, and sure, I've left the directional on in the past. I've developed a habit where I don't take my thumb off the switch until I've returned it to center. If I'm not sure it's centered I glance at the indicator.

I've also owned bikes in the past that had self-cancelling directional switches. I don't know why they aren't all that way. Maybe that's what you really want to install.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #37 - 03/18/15 at 13:23:28

Here's an aftermarket unit for a Harley. I bet it can be adapted...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/32471/i/signal-dynamics-self-canceling-t...

He's another unit I found...

http://kisantech.com/mag/index.php/signalminder/sm-3.html

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #38 - 03/18/15 at 13:37:21

Gary,

I would sure like to have one of the devices to cancel the turn signal, but they cost $75.00 to $100.00 and I cannot afford that at the moment. I was able to afford the $11.50 for the LEDs.

And I have enough LEDs left over to do 3 more motorcycles. I am definitely going to do my Blast and probably give away the rest.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #39 - 03/18/15 at 14:02:51

I saw your yellow blast when I looked through your photo link.

Even though it will derail this thread...tell us about the blast.  How does it compare to the Savage?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #40 - 03/18/15 at 14:56:04

Dave,

Other than than fact that they are both one cylinder motorcycles there is not much to compare.

The biggest disadvantage to the Blast is that Harley Davidson manufactured them. The isolator and the shifting mechanism are the really weak points. If you want to soup one up the parts and information are readily available. They still run them for records at Bonneville.

The Suzuki 650 single is much more refined and I don't have to point out the weak points on here, because everyone that has been here for a while knows them.

Both motorcycles will do about 95 MPH, but I am sure my Blast will do it quicker. The torque on the Blast really chews up rear tires in a hurry. My last Pirelli Diablo only made it 3400 miles.

The reason that Blasts get such a bad rap is because of the bikes used in The Riders Edge Program. They sell this junk, that should have been scrapped, to unsuspecting first time motorcycle owners. The darned things wont shift out of 3rd gear and within a couple of hundred miles a lot first time motorcycle riders become last time motorcycle riders.

Harley's business model is aimed at screwing both new and old riders in one way or another without discrimination.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pilot Lights For Turn Signals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.