Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
RADIO. How could i put one on a Savage? (Read 285 times)
projectfj

Alabama
Re: RADIO. How could i put one on a Savage?
Reply #15 - 03/03/15 at 15:28:32

Not sure if you should follow my advice, so I guess this is a disclaimer, but may it help in some way? Use a test light to find a hot wire to splice onto without major repercussions. I agree with the others that you probably won't be hearing a lot of them if you do get them hooked up. I had some 5 inch stereo speakers hooked up to a mini amp and it was hard to hear most of the time. If you want LOUD, look into wakeboard tower speakers. Though expensive, you may only need (or have room for one). The radio head unit might have enough to get mediocre sound out of it.

IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #16 - 03/03/15 at 15:32:52

I installed radios for a long time. Take that for what you will. But, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I am going to add to the consensus that you will not be able to hear it while riding. Further, if the radio has a memory, it will need to be hooked up to a constant hot. The memory is what saves your sound settings and your favorite stations. With the electrical system n the Savage if you have a constant hot you will have a constantly dead battery.

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 03/03/15 at 17:15:21

Forgot that about needing a constant hot, i really am dumb  Grin

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #18 - 03/03/15 at 19:46:53

Have a smart phone? most stations have a "on air" broadcast now-a-days.
Our 3 local ones do... I just use my phone browser and headset to listen to them... tune into any station in the area you are in, hopefully they are up to snuff on internet jive....

All you would have to have is a couple of speakers with an amplifier..... and you are in...

LOL, ok, went back and re-read....
Run a hot to your battery, and to the radio, with a fuse in between.
Run a black ground wire to a two pole switch (on/off) and to a ground nearby.
Antenna?.... um... they sell real cheap ones at wallyworld and kmart and radio shack.... you got to figure how to mount them.... same with the speakers.... and they are going to need to be "waterproof".

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #19 - 03/03/15 at 21:35:51

left my amp on without any thing hooked up to it, drained the battery
constant hot me thinks not!!!!
put the $14 radio on your riding mower and get a bike specific system

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #20 - 03/04/15 at 03:32:16

Sena and a smartphone... or go high-dollar and get what HD puts on their big cruisers. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 03/04/15 at 03:43:28

Is this radio waterproof...like the ones built for boats or tractors?  If not, then it is going to have to go into a saddlebag.

And as others have mentioned - If the radio does have a wire  that is hot all the time to keep the programming in place (clock, presets), then you will have to hook up a battery tender if you park the bike for any length of time.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 03/04/15 at 07:11:14

Best bet, is speakers mounted in the helmet, connected to an MP3 player...
...but, even then,.. I find that I need too much volume to overcome the wind noise...
Dangerous proposition to your hearing... The wind alone is already at a hearing damaging level...
Earbuds or earphones will cause the most damage, due to proximity to the eardrum...

Try humming... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #23 - 03/04/15 at 08:42:23

I've had good luck with the Shark Audio systems. Go with the 250W or bigger systems like this http://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/shark-shkcycleradiokit250-250-watts-motor....  The speakers are marine grade but the amp is not. I had the 250W system on my V Star for a while. It can be heard at interstate speeds (nothing close to HD systems) The built in FM stinks so you will want to use a MP3 player or XM.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Suzukisavvy

You're Droolin,
While I'm Spoolin

Nebraska, USA
Reply #24 - 03/04/15 at 08:53:55

Art Webb:
Why ask us? you obviously think we're dumb for not knowing, without being told, that your system is powered off the bike, not internal batteries, as some are, and uses external speakers rather than earbuds, as some systems do
A '$13 radio form ebay could obviously only mean one particular system, if we don't know the details without being told, we must be too dumb to help you

Hint: use a 'hot in run only source, like the ignition maybe, but don't ask me which one, I'm a dumbass [/quote]

Well... I didnt call you that, but if thats how you take it something must be wrong in the ole' noggin.  Shocked

In my creepy robot voice.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #25 - 03/04/15 at 10:18:38

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #26 - 03/04/15 at 11:57:28

12Bravo wrote on 03/04/15 at 08:42:23:
I've had good luck with the Shark Audio systems. Go with the 250W or bigger systems like this http://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/shark-shkcycleradiokit250-250-watts-motor....  The speakers are marine grade but the amp is not. I had the 250W system on my V Star for a while. It can be heard at interstate speeds (nothing close to HD systems) The built in FM stinks so you will want to use a MP3 player or XM.

Fused at 5 amps.  I wonder if a stock savage has enough alternator output to run that unit without draining the battery?
One of these days I will replace my lights with LED equivalents so I MIGHT be able to run some heated gloves!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:20:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RADIO. How could i put one on a Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.