Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
He is wrong for all the right reasons (Read 91 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
He is wrong for all the right reasons
02/27/15 at 11:29:17

Well, at least he got the "Example" right!

But his reasons are all outta whack I think... he must have chosen the wrong motorcycle to ride.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/why-a-cafe-racer-makes-a-terrible-first-bike...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: He is wrong for all the right reasons
Reply #1 - 02/27/15 at 12:17:18

I read this like a lot of those complaints about a savage.
They may be regional and may only apply to the target audience... moms and dads who've never ridden... and it feels if the author hasn't ridden either.  In fact, many of the pictured cafe racers would be highly desired as cafe racers hence making them completely outta reach for the beginner.  So I have ta reason that the author was incapable of selecting his own picts and writing the column to match.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/27/15 at 13:17:50

If the bikes are made from Vintage Iron.....most likely they aren't really good bikes for folks learning to ride for the first time.  The seating position isn't all that comfortable, and I will admit that coming to a hard stop while traveling downhill is a bit of an isometric challenge to do a "push up" while leaned over the Clip-On bars while clutching/braking/and adding a tad of throttle to cut down on the backfire rumble....all at the same time. And my limited turning radius makes turning the bike around in a parking lot a bit of a challenge.

Also one must consider that as a "beginner" or first bike....do you really want a bike that is 30-40 years old and has limited parts availability?  A beginner rider is also most probably a beginner "mechanic" as well...unless you have come into motorcycles later in life and already know how to fix stuff.  (I also believe a lot of this is applicable to bobbers and rat bikes).

It may not be socially acceptable - but I do believe the Blue Collar Bobber kit for the Ninja 250 may make an excellent Cafe' bike for a beginner.  It has a very reliable engine, is light weight, has a good seating position with the handlebars a bit higher and farther back than most Cafe' bikes, the peg position remains unchanged, and it is a nimble bike with modern suspension and brakes....and parts are easy and cheap to get.  And who can complain about 70+ mpg!

NINJACafe_002.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 02/28/15 at 14:43:46

I politely thanked him for using the savage/s40 as the "example" picture and then explained to him availability of parts for the Suzuki 650 and the length of time being produced and not being changed much made the savage/s40 the perfect "beginners" bike.
But like Dave says, once it has been modified to a café racer, it does have its challenges.
He did also have another write-up where he mentions the s40 as one of his preferred starter bikes.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the-beginners-bike-1639926141

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 03/02/15 at 09:47:51

My own two cdents...

A cafè racer being a style, you can compare it to the principle of "hatchback".

Is a new TYoyota Yaris a good beginenr's car ?

How about an AMC Gremlin or a Chevy Nova from the 1970's ?
How about a V8 Hornet ?

Cafè racers are NOT an old bike, they are a style, something that the author of the article simply overlooked.

So... what makes a Triumph Thruxton NOT a cafè racer ?  Or a Moto Guzzi V7 Sport ?

IMHO the author is COMPLETELY off his mark...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:20:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › He is wrong for all the right reasons

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.