Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front forks (Read 89 times)
corey v84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Front forks
02/26/15 at 13:47:45

anyone know what's the inside diameter on the front forks, the guy that bobbed my bike took out the top spacers to lower it. Now I want to raise it back up to stock height..what could I use to stick in the for a spacer? I know some guys use pvc pipe?

Thanks and have a good one!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front forks
Reply #1 - 02/26/15 at 14:26:58

they're only $7 each, I'd buy new ones.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary in NJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/26/15 at 15:04:11

The guy that lowered your forks has no idea how forks work. Don't ever go back to him. By removing the spacers to lower the bike he created a very dangerous condition.

The ID of the fork tubes is 33mm. You can use 1-1/4 PVC as spacers. You'll also need washers above and below the spacers. 1-9/32 would be perfect, but I'm sure 1-1/4 will work too.

Cut the spacers so you can achieve 35mm of total sag. The stock length means little, especially if you have modified the bike.

A life long student of motorcycling
  IP Logged
corey v84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/26/15 at 16:31:36

Yeah I had to idea that's what he did until I took them apart, he told me he did it the way ryca says to do it but the spacer is gone and the bottom is untouched

IP Logged
corey v84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/26/15 at 21:25:59

Anyone know how long the top spacers are? I found some 1 1/4 pipe at work but don't think its long enough to do both sides

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 02/27/15 at 05:13:29

The OEM spacer is 135mm...and that is NOT the length you should cut your spacer. The spacer should be cut to a length that allows for 35mm of total sag. The OEM spacer is sized for a absolutely stock bike and a rider in the range of 150 to 165 pounds. Is that you and your bike?

If you've added or removed components to the bike, or if you weigh more or less then than the "standard" (Japanese) rider then you'll need to find the right length for you on your bike.

More total weight (bike and rider) will require more preload. I'd start with a spacer length of 6 inches (plus your washers) and start trimming from there. Once you can sit on the bike (with riding gear, full tank) and can achieve 35mm of total sag - then you've found the correct length preload spacer. If you accidentally cut to much you can just add washers to add length.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:24:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front forks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!