New to the board (Read 276 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: New to the board
Reply #15 - 03/01/15 at 13:33:28

Very curious about this idea

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 03/01/15 at 20:22:38

No Spec. guys ... I just felt the original and knew there wasn't any senses in it being that stout.   If there wasn't teeth on the extender I could see need for that much tension.   But there are teeth , so it can't back-up .   So just enough to keep the slack out , and not !DEMAND! THE ULTIMATE TENSION  seems to make a lot more sense .  
I got one out of my collection of salvaged springs and stuck in in there !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 03/02/15 at 00:56:47

Sounds logical to me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #18 - 03/02/15 at 09:37:12

Hello Everybody,

My name is David and I live in Spring, Texas. I have an 06 S40 with around 14,500 miles on it maybe a bit more. I got it with just under 4K miles almost 3 years ago so I have put just over 10K miles on it myself. Lots of fun!!! I changed the clutch fiber plates and springs on it a couple of weeks ago at 14,294 miles. The fiber plates were pretty much gone. I measured the tensioner and I believe it was at about 3/4". It looked fine but nearing the end of allowed travel. I put s Shinko 712 on the rear at around 6K and it is just about worn out after 8-9K miles. I think I am going to try the Kenda Kruz 673 this time to see if it lasts longer. The Shinko 712 though gave a very good ride. Anyway, I guess it was way past time to say hello. So Hello and thanks for all the good stuff you all post.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 03/02/15 at 09:59:09

Welcome to the board.   Good to have you here !!

Lacking the info, you replaced a clutch that didn't need it and was nowhere near the wear out limits (unless you were also unaware of the Clymers error in their wearout table where they reversed the plate thickness numbers).

You need to take your Clymers and mark each of the known errors in it with colored ink on the pages of your manual -- this will save you pain and suffering out into the future.    One of them, the rotation error during valve setting has bitten DOZENS of new people and the need to understand the things a bad vac petcock can do to your performance and reliability has bitten HUNDREDS of new people (some who paid stealerships to do full engine overhauls to "fix" the problem --- but didn't)

Known Clymers Errors (Tech Section)    http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1119775997

Clutch info (Tech Section)    http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1276593115

Post questions before doing things into Rubber Side down section to get guided to what you need to know before spending your hard earned dollars.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #20 - 03/02/15 at 11:30:01

Thanks for the comments Old Feller. I actually do not have a Clymer's manual. I ordered the parts (fiber disks, springs and gasket), waited to get my nerve up and dug in. It was actually quite simple. I don't have a caliper to measure thickness of the used plates but compares to the new ones there was practically nothing left on them. My clutch had been slipping for months but it was just a bit. But then I was driving down the HOV apparently accelerating when at about 75MPH the engine revs increased suddenly and power seemed to decrease. I slowed down and said it's time. By the way, it pulls great now.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 03/02/15 at 12:13:51

Read up on clutches and recommended oils in the tech section.

14,000 miles is about right for the first clutch rod change.   We go through a series of 3 clutch rods changing them out before the plates themselves actually wear out.

It is what it is --- but I would simply suggest that you read up and ask questions before doing tear downs in the future as that might serve to save you some money and time.

By not using a Clymer's manual and not referring to the list tech resources you are flying blind into a lot of situations that are potentially misleading.  

And at least you were fortunate enough not to spend $600 for a major engine rebuild for a problem that was actually your stock vac petcock misbehaving as so many others have done.   And we can't count the number of carb rebuilds from that same source.

Another statement that sounds fantastic is that dealership mechanics often don't know  enough about the Savage because they never work on them except every other summer.   And then they tend to give the Savage to the junior mechanic who does all the kiddie singles when they do get one.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #22 - 03/02/15 at 14:13:03

You are right. I need to get a Clymers. My bike is stock but I would not be surprised if the petcock is something I do soon. Every now and then it seems like the bike does not want to keep running and I have to keep playing with the throttle to keep it from dieing at the stop light. Just happens occasionally though. Hey, quick question. How can I find out if there are any members living in my general area of Houston, TX?

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #23 - 03/02/15 at 14:36:26

I guess I should clarify. Even though I do not have a Clymers I did refer to technical data from here. I also got the info here for adjusting the valves. Valve adjustment was not complicated but still a bit of a chore since you have to drain and remove the gas tank and then reaching in with the feeler gauges was a bit difficult. But I got it done, than God. I think I must have made the piston go up and down a good thirty times before I felt comfortable that I had TDC of the compression stroke.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 03/02/15 at 18:24:42

springman wrote on 03/02/15 at 14:13:03:
YHey, quick question. How can I find out if there are any members living in my general area of Houston, TX?

You go to the Member Locator and Map section at the top of this Cafe section, and you look around.  You should also update your "My Center" to include your information so folks can find out if you are near them.  It won't show folks exactly where you live - but lets them know if you are in the same general area.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #25 - 03/02/15 at 19:34:50

Thanks.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #26 - 03/02/15 at 19:37:54

I would love to update the "My Center". How do I get to it?

Looks like I figured it out.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #27 - 03/02/15 at 20:40:51

Hay Springman

If your in Texas already are you keeping up with the "OK, it ain't the Dragon "  thread ?  

Welcome aboard !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #28 - 03/03/15 at 08:09:30

Hey there MMRanch,

Thanks for the welcome. Let me try to find that thread.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #29 - 03/03/15 at 13:13:14

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 01:13:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › New to the board

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.